HOW MUCH MONEY CAN YOU MAKE SELLING ICE CREAM

udonthani

it's funny, I don't remember any ice cream trucks when I was kid in Syracuse. Don't remember one outside the Ed Smith Elementary I attended. And one did not do our street, as far as I remember even though there was loads of kids. 4 of us, and 5 next door and loads of others round about. I do two primary schools now at closing time. One closes at 3.05 and even on the very hottest summer day, I still have time to finish off the massive queue, and if I drive like an absolute maniac can still pull over on to a piece of grass opposite another one half a mile away that turns them out at 3.25. That's 150 pounds, or 225 dollars in the till, in 40 minutes on the hot days.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

there's none around here when we are now which is really too bad..

cause they roam all over the south side of town and since the winter here is mild to nonexistant they run all year including christmas day

my kiddo got from them occasionally .. i just like hearing the music to reminisce about my own days gone by

i'm glad my kiddo got to have the experience  before we got here 

smokey

so when will we see the good humor man in cebu 

Davaoeno

I sent quite an expensive wreath to my former rival's funeral, with a complimentary message

you complimented him on dying ? no wonder you didnt put your name on it !

Don't Mc Donalds sell a single cone for 30 cents ?

Or is that all over now?

KonGC

its 10 pesos in the Phil

udonthani

you really are a moron, aren't you. I complimented him, in Italian, that he understood the gelati. That he was a good salesman - which he was. He was excellent. In fact he had the best work ethic of any ice cream man I've ever known. He almost never took a day off, winter or summer. The guy was actually quite obsessional. And his family let me know that they were pleased. Although if truth be told I never liked the guy as an individual. I've had other rivals and competititors, just like him that I liked a lot more than him - even though we were rivals.  One of them, who really was Italian, whose guts I had also hated and mine he did, when I first started out and I took him on. We eventually eliminated the bad feeling and made a rapprochement and went out for a drink shortly before he retired back to Italy after spending his entire working life in the UK in the business. I made sure I got a message to Luigi, back in Italy now, in Parma, that this guy had died too. I realised that he needed to know. Because he used to compete against him as well, just like I did.

• Like 1
udonthani

its 10 pesos in the Phil

it's 8 actually. That's what the Belgian guy is charging for a whippy cornet out of a van in Toledo. And he employs about 6 people, with one van. Which is just ridiculous. Ask anybody that knows about ice cream and they'll tell it's a game for a lone hunter.

Davaoeno

it's 8 actually. That's what the Belgian guy is charging for a whippy cornet out of a van in Toledo. And he employs about 6 people, with one van. Which is just ridiculous. Ask anybody that knows about ice cream and they'll tell it's a game for a lone hunter.

my post was in regard to a question about the cost at macdonalds - which is 10 pesos- the same as jolibee

udonthani

I actually never eat ice cream as I have absorbed enough, just through the pores of my skin not to want to eat any as a food, ever again. I only ever taste it, just to see what it tastes like. I never even looked in the Mcdonalds and Jollibees as to how much they want. But I would have thought 10 pesos is about right. That foreigner guy that spent a packet on a whippy ice cream machine in his Moalboal resto and thought he was going to be the next big thing, thought he could charge 15. Of course all his staff were robbing him blind and he ended up going back home a lot poorer than when he arrived. The one foreigner who really did make a decent go of it I saw prior to the Belgian guy in Toledo, was on the Camotes and he smartly realised he needed to price low there. He also realised he didn't need to employ any staff, other than his wife. His cornets, which cost him about 2 pesos, he priced at 5. But he still couldn't make it pay. He gave up after trying valiantly for a year. You're always up against high electricity prices in the Philippines on static pitches. It is just as weather related there as anywhere else. When it rains, it doesn't matter how hot it is, you are stiffed. With a van, where the diesel powers the machine, where your mobility is your trump card, and there is no electricity involved, you might have a chance but even then there is no way you could possibly charge more than 10 pesos for a cornet.

Edited by udonthani
KennyF

it's 8 actually.

It's 12 actually.

KonGC

udonthani

the only guy I have ever seen anywhere in the Philippines, selling ice soft-serve cream out of a van, last December, was using electricity not diesel to do so. And the 'baby cornets' were 8 pesos. Which I thought was just exactly right. They will want to get change out of 10 pesos for a cornet, in the Philippines. Foreigners simply do not understand, that 10 pesos is quite a lot of money.

I have a paleta cart and hot dog cart for sale on craigslist if any of the members want to try their luck----- shipping is on the Buyer LOL :)

PM me for the link

smokey

you know i posted this and never thought for a second it would get 3 reply's never mind pages 

• Like 1