Taking GF to US for Family Visit

panther

I am a british national living on tourist visa in the philippines on my 3rd year and would like to visit my aunt in south carolina for 3 weeks what are the chances of a visa for her. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMC-Retired

• Dolsos

• Headshot

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's quite correct, Filipinos can thank their fellow countrymen and women for their denials not only in the US but elsewhere. China is getting hard to get visas now for Filipinos as well because the

Get tickets to Mexico. Pay someone to sneak the both of you across the border and she can stay as long as she wants. When caught, they will be happy to fly her back to the RP, compliments of the US ta

Here is the what the website says.       This is what the official word from a Senior US Senator written to me about getting a tourist visa.     Click Here

USMC-Retired

zero unless she is well off and has ties to the Philippines.  

• Like 1
shadow

If her last name is Aquino, Marcos, Aboitiz, or of the other top ten familes, or if she owns multiple properties/businesses, etc, her chances are 50%. For the average Filipina, they are close to between nil and none.

miles-high

If her last name is Aquino, Marcos, Aboitiz, or of the other top ten familes, or if she owns multiple properties/businesses, etc, her chances are 50%. For the average Filipina, they are close to between nil and none.

My understanding is that if a Filipina is married to a US citizen and they are living in the Philippines, it is almost impossible for her to get a tourist visa to the US... It's in a way absurd that he could not take his wife to visit his own country...

If she is married to a UK (or French, German, etc.) citizen, I wonder if it would be easier for his Filipina wife to get a tourist visa to the US?

a tourist visa for a pinay is next to impossible to get without SIGNIFICANT personal (read not family) assets.

At the very least she'd most likely need a house in her name, a business or very good job that supports her fully and well documented family ties.

A single pinay, even in a relationship, trying to visit the US will always be presumed to be an illegal immigrant until you prove otherwise, the tourist policy explicitly states that.  Burden of proof that she will not remain in the country illegaly is on her, noone can influence it other then the interviewing agent.  Unfortunately so many people overstay tourist visa's its pretty much broken the system.

If she is married to a UK (or French, German, etc.) citizen, I wonder if it would be easier for his Filipina wife to get a tourist visa to the US?

I've got a couple friends who have married pinay's and tried that, the interviews last just long enough for the interviewer to read the cover sheet and kick them out, the presumption is they are simply trying to get her to the US then apply for immigrant status or just leave her as an illegal and skip the immigration process altogether.

USMC-Retired

Here is the what the website says.

You, as a visa applicant, qualify for a visa by being eligible under all applicable U.S. laws for the visa category for which you are applying. During your visa interview, the consular officer at the U.S embassy or consulate will determine if you are qualified for the type of visa for which you are applying.

The sole authority to approve or deny (called adjudicate) visa applications, under U.S. immigration law section 104(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, is given to consular officers at U.S. embassies and consulates.

This is what the official word from a Senior US Senator written to me about getting a tourist visa.  

Click Here

• Like 2
Topper

Get tickets to Mexico. Pay someone to sneak the both of you across the border and she can stay as long as she wants. When caught, they will be happy to fly her back to the RP, compliments of the US tax payer.

No problem.

• Like 3
USMC-Retired

A Philippine Citizen can not fly to Mexico.  Unless she has a Visa for the US or other European country,  

LIST OF REQUIREMENTS FOR FILIPINO CITIZENS TO APPLY FOR A TOURIST VISA TO ENTER MEXICO

* Passport (with validity of at least six months).
* One photocopy of the page of the passport with picture of passport holder, and of the last page where the signature of the Officer of the Department of Foreign Affairs, Embassy of Consulate of the Republic of the Philippines appears.
* One passport size photograph (2”x 2”).
* Airline round trip ticket (original and photocopy).
* A photocopy of U.S, Canandian, or any other European Visa is required depending on the route of the trip.
* One valid Identification Card (ID) original & photocopy including the backside. Please present any of the following:
o Driver’s License
o SSS / GSIS ID card
o Company ID
o Valid Student ID
* Financial solvency. Provide All of the following (original and photocopy):
o Valid International Credit Card (including the backside where the signature is found)
o Paid Credit Card Statements (3 most recent months)
o Updated bank Statements / Certifications
o Updated Passbooks/ Bank Books (front page & page with last updated amount
o Income Tax Return Paper (if employed); Business ownership certifications, duly registered by the Securites and Exchange Commission (SEC). (if self-employed)

* Certification of Employment (original).
* Personal Appearance.

SkyMan

If she is married to a UK (or French, German, etc.) citizen, I wonder if it would be easier for his Filipina wife to get a tourist visa to the US?

If he first takes her to Europe, most likely.

The OP, however, is talking about a gf, not wife, so even if she's been to Europe it may be difficult.

This is what the official word from a Senior US Senator written to me about getting a tourist visa.

We contacted Senator Obama's office several times trying to get a visa for my boss's brother(s).  Always denied under section 214b which is what would happen here most likely, 

Section 214( B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act

( B) Every alien (other than a nonimmigrant described in subparagraph (L) or (V) of section 101(a)(15), and other than a nonimmigrant described in any provision of section 101(a)(15)(H)(i) except subclause (b1) of such section) shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15). An alien who is an officer or employee of any foreign government or of any international organization entitled to enjoy privileges, exemptions, and immunities under the International Organizations Immunities Act, or an alien who is the attendant, servant, employee, or member of the immediate family of any such alien shall not be entitled to apply for or receive an immigrant visa, or to enter the United States as an immigrant unless he executes a written waiver in the same form and substance as is prescribed by section 247( B).

Noone can overturn that decision or appeal it, you can be denied for any reason the consular office deems necessary and he can lump it under 214 since it is solely at their discretion.  
Edited by Dolsos
USMC-Retired

Noone can overturn that decision or appeal it, you can be denied for any reason the consular office deems necessary and he can lump it under 214 since it is solely at their discretion.  

Which is exactly what the letter from Senator Cornyn says.  

SkyMan

I've got a couple friends who have married pinay's and tried that, the interviews last just long enough for the interviewer to read the cover sheet and kick them out, the presumption is they are simply trying to get her to the US then apply for immigrant status or just leave her as an illegal and skip the immigration process altogether.

The problem is that the interviewer never asks for any proof of what the girls need to provide proof of, nor do they ask for any cover letter or such. The interviewer asks a few questions. Are you married? Where do you live? Looks at the app which is just bio data. Then disapproves. They don't ask the important question. What proof do you have you'll return to the RP?

I gave my wife several copies of a cover letter and instructed her to put one on top of anything they ask for and she was approved.

Which is exactly what the letter from Senator Cornyn says.  

Yes and I added to it with the specific section they'd be denied under for anyone curious since the letter said nothing about 214b or an appeals process if available.

Edited by Dolsos

The problem is that the interviewer never asks for any proof of what the girls need to provide proof of, nor do they ask for any cover letter or such. The interviewer asks a few questions. Are you married? Where do you live? Looks at the app which is just bio data. Then disapproves. They don't ask the important question. What proof do you have you'll return to the RP?   I gave my wife several copies of a cover letter and instructed her to put one on top of anything they ask for and she was approved.

I know.  Two of the interviews or his brother he got  in and left within 20 seconds because they already knew him and knew it would be a denial, this is with houses in his name, he owned 3 successful (by local standards) businesses and his father is ill and not expected to live more then a couple years, but they still say not enough ties to the country. 

As long as there is no appeals process nothing will change, they have no reason to be fair and impartial, if they don't like your attitude, denied.  Having a bad day? Denied.  Does it happen alot?  Maybe not but the point is there is zero accountability or recourse, even senators or the president can only inquire as to the status but can't influence or direct them to approve it anyway.