US immigration question – a commuting husband

miles-high

Assuming an American citizen and a Filipina are married in the US within the period of her K visa and are living in the US:

Within a few months of their marriage, however, husband (H) got a job offer from Manila. Since they are living close to Manila (assuming they live either in Hawaii or Guam), H decided to make a bi-weekly or monthly commute to Manila and accepted a job there. Wife (W) lives in a rented condo alone and H comes back every 2 weeks or so.

Is this still considered an acceptable marriage as far as the US immigration laws are concerned since W stays in the US and H goes out to Manila for work with every intention of coming “home” as often as possible?

Just wondering…

:cool:

Problem with immigration issues is so much is left up to the discretion of the agent involved.

Seems perfectly acceptable to me, if you have sufficient proof that your travel is for work (seaman, pilot, ninja, etc) I don't think you have anything to worry about.

dc3driver

I think it would fly. When my wife applied for citizenship the question she was asked is " Have you been out of the USA for more than six months at one time"?

She told them she had been out for 3 months once & they didn't care,  They asked nothing about her husband being out of the country.

SkyMan

I don't think the location of H matters much, it's the location of W.

Headshot

It might be legal (and probably is) to leave the wife on Guam while the husband commutes for two to four weeks at a time to Manila, but there IS another consideration. What happens when the young Filipina wife gets lonely on an isolated island inhabited mostly by thousands of single military men. Legal or not, that doesn't sound like a very good plan to me. I would think the chances of success for a long-term marriage are about the same as a sailor who marries his young Filipina and moves her to San Diego while he is on sea duty all over the world. There is too much time to get bored and way too many opportunities to alleviate that boredom with other men. I don't want to say that military men are pond-scum-sucking opportunists who have no qualms about having relationships (long or short) with married women (because most aren't). However, there are enough running around with very few morals to make it a very risky proposition.

Edited by Headshot
samatm

Does  H's  BF drop by to  Check in on  W  while  H is in Manila?  

Edited by samatm
miles-high

Does  H's  BF drop by to  Check in on  W  while  H is in Manila?  

Hmmm, that might be a risky proposition… Depends on how much you trust your friend… ;)

It might be better if W finds a Filipina GF (married with kids, a family person ;))…

If you married her in Guam or Hawaii, it might take only a few hours to divorce her though, no legal manbo jambo of annulment, etc., etc. :D

Davaoeno

I don't want to say that military men are pond-scum-sucking opportunists who have no qualms about having relationships (long or short) with married women    

because most aren't

sorry but the little waiver at the end just doesnt cut it for me !!    I think you just included it so you didnt piss off all the military guys on the forum   :yahoo:

Edited by Davaoeno
shadow

No problem, as long as they maintain a valid relationship!

Headshot

sorry but the little waiver at the end just doesnt cut it for me !!    I think you just included it so you didnt piss off all the military guys on the forum   :yahoo:

You will find the same percentage of moral men in the military as you will find outside the military. But then...maybe you don't think that ANY men have enough morals to not mess with another man's wife. Either way, I think you are wrong.

BTW...I know you're just goofing with me...ya vertically and horizontally challenged Korean-British, wetback Canadian gay lawyer.  :biggrin_01:

We need to come up with an acronym for you, so we don't have to run out of breath just describing all of your attributes.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1