500 PHP Forgeries

In the USA some cashiers use a marking pen to mark the bill to detect or try to detect if it is a counterfeit.  I noticed these pens are available to the general public in an office supply store.

Is such a device used in the P.I. for a similar purpose or is it all eyeball analysis?

Ken

We have a machine that shines UV light onto the notes; they are available from CDR King and other stores.  However quite what we're supposed to be looking for eludes me.  I'm not sure what the pen does either.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoHuk

• smokey

• KennyF

• Raven

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pay your next traffic bribe with it....roll it up with a one Hundred. Salamat Noy.....Vroooooom!

PHP001.jpg   The note above is fake.  It is printed on slightly thinner paper.  Note also the smudging and fading of the ink, particularly the numerics in the bottom right-hand corner.   PHP002.jp

I got one out of an ATM machine a few weeks ago. Saving it for a taxi driver who refuses to turn on the meter.

Posted Images

We have a machine that shines UV light onto the notes; they are available from CDR King and other stores.  However quite what we're supposed to be looking for eludes me.  I'm not sure what the pen does either.

There will be a holographic 500 or 1000 on the older bills under blacklight, not sure on the newer ones but probably something similar.

edit:  holographic isn't the right word, I guess reflective is better?  

Metro has a handheld blacklight detector, cd-r king sometimes has the desktop one but be warned when it breaks or the bulb goes out chances are good they'll be out of stock of replacements.  Seems like we go through a desktop one every 3-4 months

The pen detectors in the US only test to make sure its on the right paper, it has no way of knowing if that page has been bleached and reprinted a higher denomination which I've been told is how the "pro" counterfeiters do it.  In the US easier to hold it up to the light and look for the 50 or 100 strip inside the bill. 

Edited by Dolsos

..and check for any movement... :biggrin_01:

500rc9.gif

• Like 1
KennyF

Damn, that's like Harry Potter money.

KonGC

Topper

New_Philippine_Peso_Bills_Security_Fiber

Some more here...

http://www.affordablecebu.com/load/banking/how_to_determine_if_your_new_philippine_peso_bills_are_fake_or_genuine/13-1-0-1406

We have used our desktop UV model (chinese) for more than a year...works fine

Thanks Raven. Very informative. I'll be looking for the features on the new bills on my trip there this summer.

Thelandofku-an

A few years back I got stung while sitting in Chow King Gaisano Mactan having a conversation with a ladyfriend..This well dressed guy came up to our table having a 1000p note in hand asking for change..I said sure and handed him two 500p notes..He then took out another 1000p and asked if I could change another and for some reason I said no I do not have, but I did the change.He then thanked me and left...About 20 seconds later the hairs on my neck went up and I promptly looked at the 1000p note and found that it ripped easily.The guy was long gone..By asking for change a second time is what slowly triggered my mind into thinking oh shit..Stupid me I tryed to pass it in manila airport for the terminal fee .The lady right away saying this is fake and where did i get it.I told her from an ATM..She promptly wrote fake on it with a black marker.Im thinking if that would have happened in the states I would have been taken in the back room with a treasury agent grilling me..haha.Needless to say I NEVER give change anymore...

This stunt has often been attempted when I'm filling up with gas, the 'con' approaches either me or the pump attendant, not the cashier!

Same in the gas station convenience store, the 'con' confuses the cashier by producing a genuine 1000 bill for his trivial purchases, then during the transaction cheerfully and chattily produces a 500 bill to "help" the cashier, who gratefully puts in in the register unchecked!