500 PHP Forgeries

Have they duplicated the upendicular woven in foil strip or simply printed it?

KonGC

It is simply printed.  My guess is that the fake note was produced using a very good ink-jet printer and then the foil strip overprinted as a series of rectangles since they appear to be slightly raised, somewhat like paint.  Holding the fake up to backlight reveals no evidence that the strip continues through the paper.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoHuk

• smokey

• KennyF

• Raven

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pay your next traffic bribe with it....roll it up with a one Hundred. Salamat Noy.....Vroooooom!

PHP001.jpg   The note above is fake.  It is printed on slightly thinner paper.  Note also the smudging and fading of the ink, particularly the numerics in the bottom right-hand corner.   PHP002.jp

I got one out of an ATM machine a few weeks ago. Saving it for a taxi driver who refuses to turn on the meter.

Posted Images

KennyF

Holding the fake up to backlight reveals no evidence that the strip continues through the paper.

That's good to know.

Thanks.

KonGC

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I got one out of an ATM machine a few weeks ago. Saving it for a taxi driver who refuses to turn on the meter.

• Like 2
Buko Beach

Is the watermark there on the fake note?

Is the watermark there on the fake note?

Yes, there is a watermark but it's different from the one in the genuine note.  Security printers may introduce differences according to the range of serial numbers, sometimes these are even deliberate faults, so I don't know whether the 'fake' watermark is valid or not.  I'll have a think to see if I can replicate the marks in this thread.

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

out of an ATM. ...really?

Sorry, I can't reproduce the watermarks; my scanner does not have film negative capability.  The watermark on the known genuine note is an exact copy of the drawing of Cory and Nonoy that appears on the note, facing the same way.  The watermark on the fake note seems to be much the same but they are facing the opposite way.

Edited by GoHuk
  • Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yes. 100% sure. And it wouldn't surprise me if the bank deliberately drops them in to get rid of them.

We had a chat with a cashier in our BPI branch.  She said the bank gets them quite regularly but does not always spot them when embedded in a bundle of notes.  They go through the counting machines with no problem.

smokey

attachicon.gifPHP001.jpg

The note above is fake.  It is printed on slightly thinner paper.  Note also the smudging and fading of the ink, particularly the numerics in the bottom right-hand corner.

attachicon.gifPHP002.jpg

The note above is genuine - direct from BSP.

Touch the top one, Smokey, and make a 61-year old dream come true.  B)

now i have seen it all so the lord can take me home.... oh wait lord lets stop at davao house first for a swim 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
samatm

When the gaisano gal  meticulously checks my P500 or P1000 bills,  For a laugh I alway check their bills  when they hand me back the change.  Its fun to  Snap  the  50p and 100ps  and examine them.  

• Like 1
KennyF

If ATM machines are dispensing notes with no metallic foil ribbon then someone needs has arse kicked.

That's what that ribbon is there for.

KonGC

Jim Sibbick

If ATM machines are dispensing notes with no metallic foil ribbon then someone needs has arse kicked.

That's what that ribbon is there for.

KonGC

I have counted hundreds of millions of dollars in my time. A lot of it for refilling ATM machines. Whether by hand or with counting machines, regardless of which method I use, the notes are being counted too fast to notices minor anomalies.

KennyF

I have counted hundreds of millions of dollars in my time. A lot of it for refilling ATM machines. Whether by hand or with counting machines, regardless of which method I use, the notes are being counted too fast to notices minor anomalies.

Humans don't count money in Oz Jim, it's all done with machines.

Several times at the bank and at least once, but normally twice, in the ATM.

And among other things, if the metallic thread is not sensed the fake note gets peeled off.

When I had all the machines in the prototype Time Zone way back in the 70s, even well made slugs in the 10 cent machines were rejected.

But I can accept that perhaps RP ATM machines are not quite up to date, maybe even other countries trade ins..

KonGC

Edited by KennyF
KennyF

I've just had a snoop around the internet and there are a few, very few, cases of ATMs giving out fakes but they all seem to be older style notes/ATMs.

A couple of reports in India and Africa.

Nothing at all for Australia, Canada or USA.

But Jim, I guess it is possible in some countries.

KonGC