Block wall cost calculator

SkyMan

I did a spreadsheet to determine the cost to build one section (column and block) of a typical block wall up to 3 mtr above grade.  This calculates materials only and doesn't include labor or the little bit for tie wire.  You can set the columns to extend above the block if you want to put some steel above the block or for aesthetics but figuring the cost of the steel is your problem.  You need to set the yellow boxes to match the variables of your wall design and enter the prices you can get for individual materials.  The prices of rebar listed are current from VIC Enterprises in Mandaue and the cement/mortar prices are somewhat of a wag.

Admin : I had to upload it as an xls file as xlsx are not allowed.  can xlsx be added and probably docx too?

I will probably add options for adding buttresses to build a retaining wall or a height above 3 mtr and then reup the sheet.

Right now though, if any knowledgeable members would like to check it out and see if it is calculating correctly or if I left anything out, I would appreciate it.

Wall Cost.xls

• Like 5
Thelandofku-an

Will proof read it on the desktop later, my "bananas" don't fit the little boxes on my tablet, tsk, tsk!

SkyMan

Also, I think all the labels are self explanatory but if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. 

The cost seems high to me.  Perhaps my guesstimate of the cement/mortar costs are too high?

The dimensions used are what I think are the minimum or at least standard used.

Edited by SkyMan
Thelandofku-an

Just going through it this evening, looking really good so far...

• 3 weeks later...
SkyMan

Any glaring errors or suggestions?

Paul

49 downloads, and no real input concerning his calculator yet? C'mon, people. He put time into this thing. The least some of you can do is give him some honest input.

Dolsos

I haven't downloaded it but I can give a general thanks, always nice to see someone put their time and effort into something that can benefit alot of others.

Thelandofku-an

Any glaring errors or suggestions?

Did not notice any errors.

Reply is at Paul's request, I have no intention of hi-jacking!

One reason why people have not replied may be that the table intimidates them, since they know nothing about the subject. Or perhaps more simply, they are not concreting at this time?

Perhaps if I may suggest something completely different for you to ponder?

How about something simpler for users, like a finger guide down the left margin of the page with all construction variants detailed progressively in varying coloured boxes.

To the right of that could be the mixing formula boxes for 1 Cubic, Square or Linear Metre, people may find that point easier to calculate from.

Further to the right perhaps your "quantities and pricing boxes".

Perhaps if done in landscape there could be a lined or blank note box on the extreme right for people to annotate which part of the job the current calculation is for? 

I realize this would probably run into more than one page, so perhaps one each for walls, footings and finishings, some of these could be added to by others perhaps?     :twocents:

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
Mandingo

I was going to wait until my wall was constructed to comment, we have just started on a perimeter wall on our second lot last week. 

Once I tweaked the spreadsheet to fit my walls dimensions, material cost and such is appears to be really close to what I figured out prior to starting. Once the wall is finished I'll let you know how close it actually was but as for now it looks very close.

Thanks for the info, stuff like this really helps the rest of us out......................

Thelandofku-an

Just a thought for anyone concreting, workers do not measure sand and water properly, this can weaken

the mixture and lead to a smaller volume produced relative to the cement used!

A hosepipe should be used to fill a row of buckets with water for each mix, 20 litres per bag of cement,

less with wet sand.

Most workers measure  sand by sack or shovel,  this is wildly inaccurate!

A wooden box or plastic/steel cylinder with no floor and long "barrow handles" can be used to measure

sand at any location where you mix up, just shovel sand inside up to your mark then raise the handles

to release the sand for mixing. I have a set of three useful sizes that "nest" inside each other,  (one bag,

two bag, three bag); otherwise you can use plastic buckets or other large container!

These tips will save you a pile of money and ensure strength of work!

• Like 1
SkyMan

How about something simpler for users, like a finger guide down the left margin of the page with all construction variants detailed progressively in varying coloured boxes.

Not sure what you mean there.

To the right of that could be the mixing formula boxes for 1 Cubic, Square or Linear Metre, people may find that point easier to calculate from.

If you can tell me how to do that I'd appreciate it.  The mix I use is 1-2-3.  That's 1 bag cement, 4 about half bags sand and 6 about half bags rock.  The difficulties come with the abouts and I don't know the volume that produces.  There are also problems cost per cubic of sand and rock with the various aggregate suppliers which usually charge by the truck load and the size of their trucks etc.  I also don't think there's a 1 - 1 ratio of ingredients to product.  In other words, does mixing 1 cubic cement/ 2 cubic sand / 3 cubic rock produce 6 cubic concrete?  So I decided to just set the price per cubic and leave it up to the user to figure that out.  The price I put in is from a ready mix company.

I should have noted that I'm not trying to design someone's wall, just a cost estimate for a typical wall with enough variation to cover most typical situations.

Perhaps if done in landscape there could be a lined or blank note box on the extreme right for people to annotate which part of the job the current calculation is for?

It's for a section of wall which in the RP is up to 3 mtr including 1 column.  If your project has varying lengths you can copy the sheet and alter for the other sections.

I realize this would probably run into more than one page, so perhaps one each for walls, footings and finishings, some of these could be added to by others perhaps?

Yes, you could have multiple pages and cut and paste sections to separate pages if you like.  I did it this way to make it more printer friendly.

I was going to wait until my wall was constructed to comment, we have just started on a perimeter wall on our second lot last week. 

Once I tweaked the spreadsheet to fit my walls dimensions, material cost and such is appears to be really close to what I figured out prior to starting. Once the wall is finished I'll let you know how close it actually was but as for now it looks very close.

Thanks for the info, stuff like this really helps the rest of us out......................

Great, real life input.  I'd love it if you could post a thread on it.  Did you hire a contractor or DIY?  Block size / wall design/ etc.?

It's kind of disappointing the spreadsheet is accurate.  I'll be doing a very long wall and was hoping it would be less expensive.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Most workers measure sand by sack or shovel, this is wildly inaccurate! A wooden box or plastic/steel cylinder with no floor and long "barrow handles" can be used to measure sand at any location where you mix up, just shovel sand inside up to your mark then raise the handles to release the sand for mixing. I have a set of three useful sizes that "nest" inside each other, (one bag, two bag, three bag); otherwise you can use plastic buckets or other large container!

I would like to find a few dozen of those white plastic five gallon paint buckets with handles for this purpose.  Since I have a mixer I don't want to dump the sand/rock on the ground.  The buckets would be much easier to fill and carry than the sacks too.
Thelandofku-an

I would like to find a few dozen of those white plastic five gallon paint buckets with handles for this purpose.  Since I have a mixer I don't want to dump the sand/rock on the ground.  The buckets would be much easier to fill and carry than the sacks too.

Easy-peasy mate, driving south on SRP along  main road near new Gaisano, 60 each!