Another foreigner killed

Kabisay-an gid

Ten Americans murdered in the ENTIRE Philippines during the ENTIRE year of 2012! Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Kabisay-an gid

• Skywalker

• quit_yume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the problems, girls go from rags to riches so fast...they lose their mind...people put all kinds of thoughts in their heads...and most do not have the type of background to handle it...

Not really.  Clearly you haven't heard about the native American tribe from the northern great lakes region who were predominately blond haired and blue eyed and probably decedents of the Vikings earl

I would suggest that both of you remember that you are in the open forums.

quit_yume

shit..  i just realized i made a flaw in my numbers.. i have to incorporate how long the average american tourist stays in the philippines..   based on my previous post if the average number of days for an american to stay in philippines is about 10...  then that means the ratio for americans killed in philippines drags down by a factor of 10 which results in a murder rate about the same as detroit.     again.. i dont have actual numbers but if i was able to plug-in actual numbers for any of these factors then the accuracy rate goes up..  but you still get the jist of it.. 

more fun in the philippines..  come spend your vacation in a place where you are about as likely to get killed as in detroit..  lol.   either way, statistically speaking the numbers are low.   they are just high in comparison to other places.

Edited by quit_yume
Kabisay-an gid

I wasn't giving a complete analysis I was just pointing out the two numbers you chose to compare are completely uncomparable.

I'm not the one who wanted to compare detroit, you are.

You wanted to compare the population of detroit and every visitor to the Philippines annually, you can't do that.  Its statistically meaningless. 

I don't have access to the exact numbers of residents in the Philippines, or how many US citizens are here on average, I used the best information I had available to illustrate my point.

There are plenty of places in the US far more dangerous then the Philippines on average, and plenty of places in the Philippines far more dangerous then the US on average, it also depends what you are doing, who you are doing it with, what time of day you are doing and other factors, but to say you are safer or less safe based on two completely unrelated numbers is just silly.

You'll notice I didn't actually give you a murder rate for either city, I just gave you the populations.  How is that flawed?  Seems accurate to the information available.  Far more accurate than your original claim at any rate.

Once again, I'm not saying one place is safer then the other but if you're going to make sweeping statements that someone who doesn't know better might believe then you should at least make intelligent statements you can back up.

Pot calling the kettle black! YOUR "analysis" is every bit as flawed and silly as anything I said. You need to heed your own advice.

Dolsos

i dont have actual numbers but if i was able to plug-in actual numbers for any of these factors then the accuracy rate goes up..  but you still get the jist of it.. 

I put average stay in my post :P  16.7 days is what I found, granted I don't know if its accurate but should be fairly decent for guestimmation. 

At any rate actual murder comparison isn't something we can do without more information that we don't have.

We'd need to know things like - is the tourist per year number inclusive of resident visa's, balikbayan stamps, etc.

Number of visitors to Detroit per year

Number of people who work in Detroit but do not live within its area of reporting, etc.

Quite a few variables, there's a reason statisticians take so long to come up with these numbers and then give margins of error.

Pot calling the kettle black! YOUR "analysis" is every bit as flawed and silly as anything I said. You need to heed your own advice.

If you say so.  You win good sir, you have bested me at the intrawebz.  You win absolutely nothing of value sadly.

Edited by Dolsos
smokey

Only 10 American homicides for the entire year in the Philippines?! Thanks for presenting that little factoid, it's good to know that the Philippines is a very safe place for Americans. Compare that to 411 homicides in Detroit alone in 2012. It's pretty clear to me now that America is a much more dangerous place for Americans than the Philippines!

Your funny  only 10 murders compared to 411 in Detroit.... your funny  and how many Americans live in the Philippines ? like 200,000 and how many live in Detroit  looks like its a neck and neck race  

Kabisay-an gid

The homicide rate per 100,000 people in the Philippines is 5.4

The homicide rate per 100,000 people in Detroit is 53. So Detroit's homicide rate is about ten times higher than the Philippines.

And if you want to compare Detroit one-on-one with Cebu City, both Detroit's homicide rate and total number of homicides are several times higher.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans in the Phils every year, and only TEN were murdered? And we're supposed to be cringing in fear over this irrelevant number of murders? Paranoia is a terrible thing.

And remember that Americans stand out in the Philippines like a sore thumb because of their skin color, and are SPECIFICALLY TARGETED by many Filipino criminals, yet only ten Americans out of hundreds of thousands were murdered. Sorry, but I'm just not going to lose any sleep over that.

• Like 1
smokey

Ten Americans murdered in the ENTIRE Philippines during the ENTIRE year of 2012! Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

dont forget the ones that KILLED themselves like the guy who shot himself 3 times ... or the guy who stabbed himself twice in the heart..

quit_yume

i understand you are not overly worried... as am i not overly worried.. but my numbers were trying to establish the murder rate for only 'americans' in the philippines and based on the approximations of the relevant factors we think we know,  the likelihood of an american being murdered in philippines is about the same as in detroit..  

Edited by quit_yume
smokey

The homicide rate per 100,000 people in the Philippines is 5.4

The homicide rate per 100,000 people in Detroit is 53. So Detroit's homicide rate is about ten times higher than the Philippines.

And if you want to compare Detroit one-on-one with Cebu City, both Detroit's homicide rate and total number of homicides are several times higher.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans in the Phils every year, and only TEN were murdered? And we're supposed to be cringing in fear over this irrelevant number of murders? Paranoia is a terrible thing.

And remember that Americans stand out in the Philippines like a sore thumb because of their skin color, and are SPECIFICALLY TARGETED by many Filipino criminals, yet only ten Americans out of hundreds of thousands were murdered. Sorry, but I'm just not going to lose any sleep over that.

and the homicide rate in the usa is 4.9  why dont you compare mayberry RFD to Manila   

Edited by smokey
Kabisay-an gid

Your funny  only 10 murders compared to 411 in Detroit.... your funny  and how many Americans live in the Philippines ? like 200,000 and how many live in Detroit  looks like its a neck and neck race  

You conveniently forgot the hundreds of thousands of American tourists that go there every year, putting the figure at about a million or more. And remember that Americans are SPECIFICALLY TARGETED by criminals in the Philippines, yet only 10 Americans were murdered in the entire year of 2012.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." ~ Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Kabisay-an gid

and the homicide rate in the usa is 4.9  why dont you compare mayberry RFD to Manila   

Both Cebu City's homicide rate and total number of murders is FAR LOWER than Detroit's, even though Cebu City is larger. Sorry, but I won't bow to fearmongers fretting over 10 homicides in an entire year.

smokey

You conveniently forgot the hundreds of thousands of American tourists that go there every year, putting the figure at about a million or more. And remember that Americans are SPECIFICALLY TARGETED by criminals in the Philippines, yet only 10 Americans were murdered in the entire year of 2012.

and how many people from the philippines visit the usa every year ? your wasting your time trying to compare everything to Detroit  why not compare Portland Oregon to cebu  

Both Cebu City's homicide rate and total number of murders is FAR LOWER than Detroit's, even though Cebu City is larger. Sorry, but I won't bow to fearmongers fretting over 10 homicides in an entire year.

again ... Detroit is over 5 million cebu is 1 million ..  

Kabisay-an gid

and how many people from the philippines visit the usa every year ? your wasting your time trying to compare everything to Detroit  why not compare Portland Oregon to cebu  

again ... Detroit is over 5 million cebu is 1 million ..  

The United States Census Bureau estimated Detroit's population to be 706,585 in 2011 - and the population has been steadily decreasing every year - so it was even lower by the end of 2012.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/26/2622000.html

USMC-Retired

The chances of an expat being killed in the Philippines is higher then it would be if he remained in his home country.  There were more then 10 expats killed last year in the Philippines.  Just searching this board for news I found 13 for 2012.  So odd to think that your number is lower then that number.   I would it is much much higher then 13 with the number of unreported crimes that happen here.    

Using one of the worse cities in the US to compare it to the Philippines.  Well lets say I am not moving to Detroit nor East LA anytime soon.  Nor am I going to live in a bedspacer on Colon street.   The crime rate over the last several years in Cebu and Philippines has been on a steady rise.  When there is no punishment for crimes committed everyone commits them.  Murders happen everyday and nothing is ever done or even investigated.  

• Like 1
smokey

and these white guy targets are any of them brits or Australasian not all white guys are americans