• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Kabisay-an gid

• Skywalker

• quit_yume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the problems, girls go from rags to riches so fast...they lose their mind...people put all kinds of thoughts in their heads...and most do not have the type of background to handle it...

Not really.  Clearly you haven't heard about the native American tribe from the northern great lakes region who were predominately blond haired and blue eyed and probably decedents of the Vikings earl

I would suggest that both of you remember that you are in the open forums.

Headed that way

The amount paid varies and depends on how desperate the gun for hire is for cash. For example one who I know will discount his price when he has school fees to pay or if they are on shabu and need a fix a thousand pesos will see the job done.

How much to kill that kano?    " Up to you...."

• Like 1
ellenbrook2001

what's really funny is that nearly every filipina has her radar up coz she has heard a story about a filipina getting killed by her foriegn husband for the insurance money... how many times has that happened in the last 10 years?  maybe 2 or 3 total including usa, canada, australia and UK ?   but in phils foriegn guys seem to be getting killed by their filipina partner almost every week.. lol.

correct mate the fact hes the fact .
  • Like 1
Skywalker

The vast majority of .45 caliber pistols here are 1911 clones.

The 1911(Colt) .45 was designed by John Browning, who redesigned it as the (superior?) Browning HP (High Power) 9mm - which is the automatic pistol I am most familiar with.  I have no experience with the 1911 Colt.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The 1911(Colt) .45 was designed by John Browning, who redesigned it as the (superior?) Browning HP (High Power) 9mm - which is the automatic pistol I am most familiar with.  I have no experience with the 1911 Colt.

Antiquated but reliable.

tokyoman

ohhh so it was not the killers fault after all it was the foreigner picked the wrong place to live and was wearing the wrong colored skin at the same time ... ok i feel better now its the foreigner 

not saying its his fault...just commenting on the area and warning newbies to Manila to avoid the area

smokey

not saying its his fault...just commenting on the area and warning newbies to Manila to avoid the area

if we made a list of all places NOT to go including down south that could lead to a drop in visitors 

Thelandofku-an

a few feet for sure i was lucky i only received a warning again 

From her?

• 3 weeks later...
Kabisay-an gid

so i looked at that website for the deaths..   in 2012 only 1 american was killed by homicide in thailand..  but in philipiines there are 10 american homicides ( same amount as in columbia)..   as far as i know thailand has way more visitors and expats than phils..   so its pretty clear to me that philippines is a much more dangerous place for americans statistically speaking..   more fun in the philippines

Only 10 American homicides for the entire year in the Philippines?! Thanks for presenting that little factoid, it's good to know that the Philippines is a very safe place for Americans. Compare that to 411 homicides in Detroit alone in 2012. It's pretty clear to me now that America is a much more dangerous place for Americans than the Philippines!

Dolsos

Only 10 American homicides for the entire year in the Philippines?! Thanks for presenting that little factoid, it's good to know that the Philippines is a very safe place for Americans. Compare that to 411 homicides in Detroit alone in 2012. It's pretty clear to me now that America is a much more dangerous place for Americans than the Philippines!

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

How many American's in Detroit, How many American's in the Philippines at any given time.

Kabisay-an gid

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

How many American's in Detroit, How many American's in the Philippines at any given time.

The stats were for the ENTIRE YEAR, not "any given time". So you have to count all the Americans living in the Phils in 2012, as well as all the American tourists who entered the Philippines the ENTIRE YEAR. And that comes out to A LOT of Americans. Any major city in America (Detroit, Baltimore, D.C., Philadelphia etc.) is considerably more dangerous than the Philippines.

Dolsos

The stats were for the ENTIRE YEAR, not "any given time". So you have to count all the Americans living in the Phils in 2012, as well as all the American tourists who entered the Philippines the ENTIRE YEAR. And that comes out to A LOT of Americans. Any major city in America (Detroit, Baltimore, D.C., Philadelphia etc.) is considerably more dangerous than the Philippines.

Thats not how it works.  Every day there's 700k, roughly, citizens in Detroit that spend 24 hours there, thats 24 hours they can be murdered, 365 days a year.

There's roughly 7-800k American tourists here every year that spend a fraction of that time.

There is far more time, opportunity and ability for American's to be murdered in detroit then there is here.

Your example is highly flawed, anyone with a basic understanding of statistics and probability can see that.  

You're also assuming the murders here is an accurate number, crime reporting here is a far cry from accurate and complete.

Average length of stay in the Philippines:  16.7 days

Number of US visitors;  652626

Pop. of Detroit:  706,585

652626*16.7 = 10898854 /365 = 29860

I'm not saying you're any safer or worse off in Detroit or the Philippines but you can't take two numbers and compare them when they don't mean alot to each other.

Furthermore break down the number of murders to things not related to drugs, assuming you dont do drugs, or illegal activities, which i also assume you won't take part in, and it will change the landscape a bit.

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/WorldStats/UNCTAD-average-length-stay-visitors.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_Philippines

1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit

Edited by Dolsos
quit_yume

Thats not how it works.  Every day there's 700k, roughly, citizens in Detroit that spend 24 hours there, thats 24 hours they can be murdered, 365 days a year.

There's roughly 7-800k American tourists here every year that spend a fraction of that time.

There is far more time, opportunity and ability for American's to be murdered in detroit then there is here.

Your example is highly flawed, anyone with a basic understanding of statistics and probability can see that.  

You're also assuming the murders here is an accurate number, crime reporting here is a far cry from accurate and complete.

exactly,    'man-days' spent by americans in philippines is what is needed here to make an appropriate comparison.  the best way to get a number like that without accurate data is to take any given random day and find out how many americans are in philippines on that day..   maybe do that for a couple of randomly selected days,  then average it out..  that will give you the appropriate number to use to get a ratio with.    or..   take the number of yearly visitors (about 750k) and divide that by 365..  that gives you a number of approximately how many are there on any given day (2055).    so if you compare the murder rate that way you get detroit = .00058    and philippines =  .005 for americans.   that means philippines is statistically 10 times (approximately) more dangerous than detroit for americans based on the information we know.  now if you throw in the americans that are currently living there we would have to adjust for that but its probably negligible statistically speaking .   of course we are working with numbers that are not 100% accurate but its close enough to get a meaningful result if i did my math right.  

Edited by quit_yume
Kabisay-an gid

Unfortunately, your own analysis is deeply flawed, as anyone with a basic understanding of statistics and probability can see. You failed to mention the many thousands of Americans that live in the Philippines, many as full-time residents, as well as many part-time residents who spend far more than just a few weeks a year there. You also failed to mention that the homicide rate for the city of Detroit is right at about TEN TIMES higher than the entire Philippines.

And if you want to compare Detroit one-on-one with Cebu City, you'll find that CC's homicide rate is only a fraction of Detroit's, even though CC has a larger population. Larger population but fewer homicides in CC. So much for YOUR flawed analysis.

Dolsos

Unfortunately, your own analysis is deeply flawed, as anyone with a basic understanding of statistics and probability can see. You failed to mention the many thousands of Americans that live in the Philippines, many as full-time residents, as well as many part-time residents who spend far more than just a few weeks a year there. You also failed to mention that the homicide rate for the city of Detroit is right at about TEN TIMES higher than the entire Philippines.

And if you want to compare Detroit one-on-one with Cebu City, you'll find that CC's homicide rate is only a fraction of Detroit's, even though CC has a larger population. Larger population but fewer homicides in CC. So much for YOUR flawed analysis.

I wasn't giving a complete analysis I was just pointing out the two numbers you chose to compare are completely uncomparable.

I'm not the one who wanted to compare detroit, you are.

You wanted to compare the population of detroit and every visitor to the Philippines annually, you can't do that.  Its statistically meaningless. 

I don't have access to the exact numbers of residents in the Philippines, or how many US citizens are here on average, I used the best information I had available to illustrate my point.

There are plenty of places in the US far more dangerous then the Philippines on average, and plenty of places in the Philippines far more dangerous then the US on average, it also depends what you are doing, who you are doing it with, what time of day you are doing and other factors, but to say you are safer or less safe based on two completely unrelated numbers is just silly.

You'll notice I didn't actually give you a murder rate for either city, I just gave you the populations.  How is that flawed?  Seems accurate to the information available.  Far more accurate than your original claim at any rate.

Once again, I'm not saying one place is safer then the other but if you're going to make sweeping statements that someone who doesn't know better might believe then you should at least make intelligent statements you can back up.

Edited by Dolsos
  • Like 1