Another foreigner killed

mabutiman

Well, I don't know what your experience is, but I lived in Bangkok for nearly 8 years.  The idea that, because in general people there appear to be ignoring you, somehow makes them less dangerous is a very strange statement.  They certainly do not ignore you out of the capitals in both Thailand and Cambodia.

The Thai's are probably the most xenophobic race I have ever experienced (I have heard the same said about the Japanese, but haven't been to Japan yet).  The Filipino's are probably the friendliest people in the region, in my experience.

Only about 20 years living and employing a large workforce in Phils ....and now 7 months in Cambodia ...friendly to your face sure  ....then shoot you with a smile !! .... my advice never become complacent ....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Kabisay-an gid

• Skywalker

• quit_yume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the problems, girls go from rags to riches so fast...they lose their mind...people put all kinds of thoughts in their heads...and most do not have the type of background to handle it...

Not really.  Clearly you haven't heard about the native American tribe from the northern great lakes region who were predominately blond haired and blue eyed and probably decedents of the Vikings earl

I would suggest that both of you remember that you are in the open forums.

Skywalker

So you've never lived in Thailand, and yet you make (uninformed) statements about the place being less dangerous than the Philippines.

Interesting what you say about Davao, have you ever lived there?

You're hardly experienced enough to give advice about Cambodia, after just 7 months there.

Edited by Skywalker
Headshot

• Like 3
Skywalker

I'm not trying to create animosity here, just trying to find out what prompted the observation with regard to Thailand that's all.

Hardly confrontational stuff.   :rose:

Headshot

OK...just tone it down a bit.

tokyoman

at the corner of Swaziland and Surinam streets inside Better Living Subdivision.

I know the area well as I lived there for 6 months

The joke is that it should be called "worse living" 

The street Dona Soledad that runs through Better living  is not a place where you would go for a walk. Taxi drivers do not like to go there as its out of the way.

And the Paranque police? Very few of them around  

It is cheap though.....you can rent a 1 bedroom in condo complex for as low as 6000 peso a month

If you have to go to Manila, stay in Makati

ed villas

perhaps someone from support.

should moderate a little better or "make it disapppear" like other posts become,

smokey

I know the area well as I lived there for 6 months

The joke is that it should be called "worse living" 

The street Dona Soledad that runs through Better living  is not a place where you would go for a walk. Taxi drivers do not like to go there as its out of the way.

And the Paranque police? Very few of them around  

It is cheap though.....you can rent a 1 bedroom in condo complex for as low as 6000 peso a month

If you have to go to Manila, stay in Makati

ohhh so it was not the killers fault after all it was the foreigner picked the wrong place to live and was wearing the wrong colored skin at the same time ... ok i feel better now its the foreigner 

• Like 1
smokey

I find it interesting that every murder in P.I. I have seen noted on the forum in the time I have been here that was with a handpiece was identified as a .45 caliber.  I assume this is the USA automatic pistol which saw much USA military use and is therefore readily available to the criminal elements there.  I am under the impression that it has a significant recoil and it is not easy to hit a target in a vital spot at any range over maybe 30 feet or so even if you have had some training with the weapon.   ((With infrequent use I find it difficult to hit much at 50 feet when target is inanimate, not moving, and I am using a very nice weapon(Walther PPK .380/9mm) )). It(the .45) was a weapon of choice for US troops facing Moros in Mindanao many decades ago because of its stopping power in close quarters conflict.  Just once I would like to read a story about the tables being turned on a hitman by the intended victim or a non-involved bystander.

How many traffic officers there would like to stop two guys on an unreadable license plate motorcycle/both guys wearing helmets to check to see if one of them is carrying a .45?

Ken

your right its much safer to stop cars for seat belt violation anyway its against the law for these guys to have guns i hope they know they are breaking the law carrying guns without the proper background screening and proper classes so they are in big trouble  

Davaoeno

your right its much safer to stop cars for seat belt violation anyway

oh get over it Smokey - you are the first guy stopped for a seat belt violation !  :yahoo:   Besides, the cop probably only pulled you over in the first place coz he couldnt believe that you had managed to shoe horn yourself into that Fiesta . 

• Like 2
alexccms

I am under the impression that it has a significant recoil and it is not easy to hit a target in a vital spot at any range over maybe 30 feet or so even if you have had some training with the weapon.  ((With infrequent use I find it difficult to hit much at 50 feet when target is inanimate, not moving, and I am using a very nice weapon(Walther PPK .380/9mm) )).

Recoil very managable.  .45 ACP is very accurate.  I'd take one over your Walther any day of the week, stopping power is far superior.  Most  hand-gunfights/shootings take place within 20 feet.  If you're having trouble hitting your target past 50 feet blame the marksman, plenty of handguns are accurate beyond that.

It(the .45) was a weapon of choice for US troops facing Moros in Mindanao many decades ago because of its stopping power in close quarters conflict.

It was the .45 colt (a cartridge used in revolvers) that was used by U.S. troops during the Moro Rebellion.  The .45 used today is a cartridge made for semi-automatic handguns.  

45Comparison.jpg

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I find it interesting that every murder in P.I. I have seen noted on the forum in the time I have been here that was with a handpiece was identified as a .45 caliber.  I assume this is the USA automatic pistol which saw much USA military use and is therefore readily available to the criminal elements there.  I am under the impression that it has a significant recoil and it is not easy to hit a target in a vital spot at any range over maybe 30

The vast majority of .45 caliber pistols here are 1911 clones.

smokey

oh get over it Smokey - you are the first guy stopped for a seat belt violation !  :yahoo:   Besides, the cop probably only pulled you over in the first place coz he couldnt believe that you had managed to shoe horn yourself into that Fiesta . 

ha ha ha i did not take the ticket anyway i refused because he was only stopping me ... i just called home and let him talk to my wife because i did not understand the words coming out of his mouth 

The vast majority of .45 caliber pistols here are 1911 clones.

we have had a few of them and only one was a clone the other two were a 1941 build and a 1943 built by colt 

• Admin (Retired)
broden

ha ha ha i did not take the ticket anyway i refused because he was only stopping me ... i just called home and let him talk to my wife because i did not understand the words coming out of his mouth 

how far away from his head did he have to hold the phone when your wife started " talking " to him?

• Like 2
smokey

how far away from his head did he have to hold the phone when your wife started " talking " to him?

a few feet for sure i was lucky i only received a warning again 

• Like 1