Aussie busted for have a Cyber den

greatplace

NBI agents nab Aussie, rescue 15 women, girls

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) yesterday rescued about 15 females, including four suspected minors, in a house believed used as a cybersex den in barangay Labangon, Cebu City.

The victims were purportedly paid to perform lewd acts in front of web cameras and to have sex with their employer.

The late afternoon raid resulted in the arrest of 46-year-old Drew Shobbrook, an Australian who rented three apartments which re losed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras.

The NBI agents confiscated at least seven laptops, four desktop computers, computer parts, an iPad tablet, hard
disks containing “explicit and lewd photographs,” and bottles of energy drinks.

Charges for violating Republic Act 10364 or the Expanded Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2012 will be filed by the NBI-7 against the foreigner before the Cebu City Prosecutors' Office.

The victims cannot be identified by the media under the special law's confidentiality provisions.

However, identities and circumstances of human trafficking offenders are no longer held confidential in the recently signed RA 10364. The law amended Republic Act 9208 that previously shielded both victims and suspected human traffickers.

With the change, the media can now report names and other circumstances of suspected offenders to warn the public not to do business with them and to avoid being victimized.

In an interview, the Australian suspect denied he was involved in criminal activities.

"I've been falsely accused. I'm definitely not involved in cybersex operations," he told reporters.

The Australian gave his his name as Drew Shobbrook, but the NBI found a Philippine driver’s license and other documents where he used the name Dean Fred Joban.

The suspect said his wife and daughter in Sydney, Australia have yet to be informed about his arrest.

"I hope the charges against me will be dropped unless this country falsely accuses people," he said.

Shobbrook said he arrived in the country in 2011.

"I decided to come to the Philippines to give people jobs. I'm not sure what accusations they brought against me," he said.

The Australian said he rented a two-storey apartments in Cebu City last year for a bookkeeping business and hired seven female staffers as encoders.

Some months ago, three staff members purportedly stole valuables including a laptop, motorbike, iPhones, and an iPad.

He said he decided to fire his three staffers last week, adding that they fabricated accusations against him.

The three staffers sought the assistance of the NBI 7.

The raid was authorized by a search warrant issued by Regional Trial Court Judge Alexander Acosta of Branch 9. It was mounted in cooperation with the International Justice Mission.

NBI Central Visayas Regional Director Antonio Pagatpat said they are serious in their campaign against human trafficking and cyberp*ornography.

“My message is simple. We have a law that prohibits exploitation of women and minors. We won't allow anyone to just exploit minors and women,” he told Cebu Daily

NBI is under the supervision of the Department of Justice (DOJ).

“We urge the community, if they have any information about cybercrimes to report to the NBI and we will act on it,” said Pagatpat.

The Australian suspect was brought to the NBI stockade pending the filing of charges against him.The female victims were taken to the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

NBI supervising agent Reynaldo Villordon, team leader in yesterday's operation, said surveilance was made before the raid.

The NBI earlier received complaints that the Australian hired women and girls for sex, and would take videos of the lewd acts which he sold and uploaded on a p*ornographic website.

“We will find out who are their contacts outside the country,” he said.

“The victims can be considered sex slaves. They were offered some considerations by the suspect,”

The sister of one of the rescued women was surprised about the raid.

She said her two sisters were hired as encoders for a website and received P10,000 a month. They were also sent to school by the Australian. /Ador Vincent Mayol, Reporter with Fe Marie Dumaboc

Edited by Headshot
Fixed quote
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thelandofku-an

• udonthani

• Headshot

• alexccms

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a lot of guys here have jumped to some hasty conclusions. First of all, I'm not seeing a lot of real evidence here. I see where Drew recently fired three employees for theft. I see where at le

He likes living with a large number of people, and apparently anal sex.   How do you figure he's lonely right now....in jail?

Multiple young girls in/out of his apartment, multiple ID's, guns, and he has been in the Philippines for several years on a Tourist visa, running some sort of business?      I don't think there's any

• Admin (Retired)
broden

if he's found innocent will he get his energy drinks back?

• Like 3
udonthani

it's happening more and more. The private, independent sector is also thriving. Men will pay girls, without even involvement of any 'cyber den', money to just send them pics by email. Women far from any city know this. The Aussie guy is fecked. He's going to get buried. Probably a vain one, that thought he was this big important 'businessman'. As if there aren't good jobs available, back in Australia. Well he can reflect on all that, when he's in a Filipino prison, for a long time.

• Like 2
Thelandofku-an

I hope for a speedy fair trial for any victims sake (whoever the victims really are)?

Mind you, if it smells like a fish, walks like a fish and looks like a fish, then it probably is a fish!   :animal0028:

Note the alleged statement of the alleged sister of one of the alleged victims, allegedly interviewed, by the alleged 

press!

If's she's genuine it would also be surprising that the neighbourhood didn't know about it going on?

It would seem that the basis is p*orn on a hard drive plus allegations, what if I were to allege that most men have

something that could be construed as p*orn on their hard drive?   :bomb:

I was taken aback when I observed gays performing as a naked trio in front of web cams at Cebu's internet cafe's, 

couples and women were also performing for someone, other users just ignored them!

So guilt would rather depend on who the p*orn was of and by whom I guess?

Now where's that "weildin" redneck?    :bashtroll:

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
  • Like 1
alexccms

This happens all the time.  I don't understand how people think they can get away with it.  You may for a while... but you could have just as much fun if not more and NOT risk spending the rest of your life in a third world sh_t hole prison.

I guess that assumes he did something wrong.  Police work here is so bad, they wouldn't know REAL evidence if it fell in their lap.  He'll be presumed guilty.  Either way he's screwed.

Edited by alexccms
  • Like 2
udonthani

just a joke. The guy could be driving a truck in WA for $100,000 doing a 40 hour week. Here we find him getting fecked up for peanuts. Only, in the Philippines.

• Like 2
KennyF

>>>> and bottles of energy drinks.

???????

KonGC

just a joke. The guy could be driving a truck in WA for $100,000 doing a 40 hour week. Here we find him getting fecked up for peanuts. Only, in the Philippines.

Guess driving a truck didnt have the same job satisfaction as abusing women in vunerable situations did for him. Yet another quality expat to add to the already overflowing barrel of bottomfeeders and Walter Mittys that the PI attracts.

• Like 5

can't think of a more fitting punishement for this then a few years in a philippine jail.  Hopefully the guards let the rest of the prisoners know what he did.

(assuming he is found guilty).

Not that it matters much, but isn't there a ban on all cyber sex business in the Phil and not necessarily underage?  So even if the girls are found to be of age he'll still be guilty?

• Like 1
fred42

What makes me laugh is when the NBI describe how these girls were "Rescued" as if they were locked in..

I wonder why the parents of the under aged girls in the caged sex den didn't report their kids missing to the Police?

I suppose they will have to work in a KTV bar now and have drunk policemen salivate over them for ladies drinks till 3am every morning. 

• Like 2
smokey

This happens all the time.  I don't understand how people think they can get away with it.  You may for a while... but you could have just as much fun if not more and NOT risk spending the rest of your life in a third world sh_t hole prison.

I guess that assumes he did something wrong.  Police work here is so bad, they wouldn't know REAL evidence if it fell in their lap.  He'll be presumed guilty.  Either way he's screwed.

the sad part is the VICTIMS will just get the same job at another place and stay there till they are rescued again 

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i think half the people on this forum would be happy to work as a sex slave .

sorry i mean paid sex slave

fred42

Villordon said there are four suspected minors among the rescued girls that were brought to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) 7 for counseling. They are mostly residents of Cebu City.

“Foreigners should stop abusing our women,” he said.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

everyone should stop abusing "their" women