Buy Gold!

Buko Beach

Oops my error, I thought you'd bought gold, rather than some mining outfit shares.  You write like a politician speaks!

Who is the producer?  Then we can all follow your gamble, rather than simply words from somebody who boasts about making large sums to some pensioner in a bar.

Care to share, or are you another gambler who only ever talks about his wins?

No I do not invest in physical gold just a few select producers (gold mining companies).

I learned a long time ago never to provide info on what stocks to buy. I have friends and family members ask me what they should invest in and it has always been a headache. If the price dips after they buy I'm the bad guy. If the price goes up they never leave me alone looking for more stock picks.

I'm not boasting. If I was boasting I would have provided the name of the stock and how much I invested.

Once I sell the stock I will copy the buy and sell sheets and we can meet in Cebu for a drink to satisfy your curiosity. Up to you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buko Beach

• Brucewayne

• Skywalker

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's peaks and troughs, and unfortunately you have bought as Gold enters a significant trough, with further to fall.     Your view that you will make 30% over the next 12 months is a fantasy, in my

I bought a small circular piece of gold ages ago.   It's a very expensive object to maintain.   Has cost me many many 1000x in upkeep considering what I paid for it.     Still, it's the best in

on the other hand you might have to hold it for 10 years to break even  !!

smokey

No matter what you buy, buy low, sell high and make Damn sure there is, or will soon be a market for what you are buying.

I also do the stock market thing and oil exploration has been doing very well, although since the technology crash a while back, it is feasible to say that technology will be back at the top in the very near future.

Real estate is too volatile for me and has been a hard market to manage in this century and gold is just a commodity that will probably soon be replaced as semiconductor material in the near future by a synthetic "gold".

All that gold being bought for your computer processors will be dumped for the newer technology, forcing gold prices even lower, causing it to be nothing more than a trinket metal.

Nice to look at, but basically worthless when it comes to function (at least at current prices).

now can you please tell me how a person KNOWS when to buy and when to sell.... 

• Admin (Retired)
broden

buy now.. have your great grand children sell

• Like 1
Brucewayne

study, read up on companies listed in the stock exchange, read their past histories and follow up to see if those companies have made any corrections that seem to have helped their stocks rise, or if they are just drifting in the sea of uncertainty.

If you are a gambler, you can just pick one and bet on it, but I prefer a stock that has few fast jumps and lots of history of stability.

A stock that grows slowly and steadily is the one I like, especially if it looks like that particular business is slated to be more necessary in the near future.

I knew that the U.S. oil exploration was moving slower over the last 30 years than in the mideast countries and I knew the reason as well.

I was told years ago by a man I respected that the U.S. had an ample supply of oil that was fairly easy to access, but the companies that held the leases were waiting for their moment to start heavy drilling and intensified exploration, so I started putting part of my monthly pay into oil exploration.

I am glad I did, but now, I have been watching the technology market for a few years and am sure that will be the way to go soon, so I am buying small shares on a quarterly basis and started doing so as of January of this year.

The reason I believe that tech stocks will start growing more rapidly now is because they learned a hard lesson a few years ago.

Too many tech firms came to be and a thinning of the herds had to come about, not to mention that so many of them were following the same path rather than finding their own way.

Think tanks are most important so new ideas can be thought up and the companies that are serious about technology are hiring only the best to do the thinking for them.

The old way was to use inventors, developers and the likes to randomly follow their own paths and possibly "stumble" onto new discoveries is too slow.

The real idea is to find a need  or a want that needs to be filled and solve that need.

The want or need may not be readily seen, but once the proper product hits the market, consumers will see that they can't possibly live without the product.

Not necessarily true (except in the case of medical inventions and advances), but even a simple cell phone that I absolutely hate is considered a do or die item to a lot of folks on this Earth, just an example.

Anyway, slow and steady is the safe way to go and sometimes you hit it big or you don't, but at least if it is a stable company, you can count on some kind of return for your money within you lifetime.

No guarantees, but if you cut the risks and don't gamble, you can be fairly confident that you will still have most and maybe more of your money left at the end of the day.

The end of the line is READ and try to understand what you are reading.

There are tons of references out there, but I recommend those that are independent rather than put out by the companies you might be interested in.

Too many companies put out exaggerations (propaganda) rather than facts and even though you can learn from their writings, be sure to double check their facts, figures and such with a few different sources before investing with them based on what you read.

Irenicus

\

Dart board.

tom_shor

\

Dart board.

ouiji board.

smokey

\

Dart board.

i have a nephew on the stock exchange i think its the sugar one and he said the only ones who can be sure of making money is the brokers they make it from buyers and sellers..

Skywalker

smokey, I think that is called 'churning' - buying and selling stock purely for the commissions.

I play the UK FTSE as a hobby, buying and selling shares, but with small money that I could lose and not jump out of a high window.  It's about taking educated guesses, but the reality is that it's always a gamble.  Keeps the mind sharp though!

smokey

smokey, I think that is called 'churning' - buying and selling stock purely for the commissions.

I play the UK FTSE as a hobby, buying and selling shares, but with small money that I could lose and not jump out of a high window.  It's about taking educated guesses, but the reality is that it's always a gamble.  Keeps the mind sharp though!

sorry my mind is already sharp enough i dont know how he does it but i do know he just purchased a brownstone for 3 million so it cant be all bad 

Headshot

sorry my mind is already sharp enough

Just because you have a pointy head doesn't mean your mind is sharp...   :tease:

• Like 2
Brucewayne

i have a nephew on the stock exchange i think its the sugar one and he said the only ones who can be sure of making money is the brokers they make it from buyers and sellers..

I go in for the long haul, so I make my money the slower, safer way, but sometimes things build a bit faster and that is okay too.

I sell for several different reasons, but try not to dump too many stocks at one time because of a long, temporary slow down such as the slump in my Prudential stock from '08 to '10.

Once that stabilized, I did move my money because Obama was doing his best to ruin the insurance industry by dumping his plan on everyone, making it hard for the insurance industries to raise capital.

If one goes with a normally developing company, the stocks SHOULD pay for themselves in 5-10 years and start making a profit.

If there is a big jump in income from them, I get nervous and usually do start selling them off so as not to lose too much is they fall as fast as they grew.

Contango

Easy...buy it (whatever) when its cheap and sell when its expensive.

Personally i buy stocks when they are cheap and settle for selling most of them for more than i paid for them, Australian stocks pay good dividends and are mostly tax paid so i hold on to a few to get the dividend yield and then use the capital to buy another stock cheap, and so on.

I've been doing this for 5 years and because its worked so well i get to retire in the Philippines in a few years. :) to bad it didn't work brilliantly cos i would of preferred Southern France...as for Gold, there is a big opportunity coming, not quite there yet.

Edited by Contango
Knowdafish

I would think shorting some of the gold stocks would be a better short term gain than buying. 

• 2 months later...
panther

gold price drops below 1200 bucks an ounce for the first time in 3 years

fred42

Synthetic Gold? Hmm.. the "newer technology" that you mention is called 'Graphine' and is the next big thing. I am heavily invested in a few select graphite producers that are now fighting for a production patent. Graphine is made out of graphite and is carbon based. Researchers have made a sheet of graphene as thin as paper and that sheet could (in theory) hold up the weight of an elephant if it was standing on top of a pencil pressing against the sheet of graphene. Super stong flexible material. An electronics giant is currently developing cell phones made out of graphene that can bend and flex. Graphene is the next big thing.

I learned a bit about Graphine when I was researching desalination membranes.. Apparently Lockeed have just patented a new membrane using this Graphene that is 99% more efficient than the membranes used today.. 

That means that just many countries in the world can solve its water shortage problems as the desalination process will be so much cheaper..

From what I have read though its still not that easy to find a company that has stocks that only deal in Graphene..

I`ll definately keep an eye open though.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lockheed-martin-desalination-graphene-filters-2013-3

Edited by fred42