R.P. Citizenship>Canadian Citizenship>U.S. Green Card: Is it possable?

Davaoeno

What IS simple is for Canadian citizens to live and work in the US (not as immigrants but as foreign workers)

this is simply not true - not if you want to work legally !! 

It is very easy for dishonest and illegal immigrants to use and abuse Canada's immigration service. You can use the system to dodge a draft, file bogus refugee claims, avoid criminal prosecution and circumvent U.S immigration law by first exploiting Canadian immigration law.

again- simply not true .  Do i assume that the you have a problem with immigrants ?  It certainly seems so . 

• Like 1
Headshot

this is simply not true - not if you want to work legally !! 

I contracted for a few years for an engineering and environmental firm in Utah that did a lot of work for both US and Canadian oil companies. About a quarter of the people working at our office were Canadians. They paid US income tax on their earnings, they were there on a US visa that allowed them to work in the US, and they had no intention of becoming US citizens. What part of what I said isn't true. BTW, we also had an office in Calgary, and we had some Americans working up there. I guarantee none of our people were working illegally at either location.

Davaoeno

I contracted for a few years for an engineering and environmental firm in Utah that did a lot of work for both US and Canadian oil companies. About a quarter of the people working at our office were Canadians. They paid US income tax on their earnings, they were there on a US visa that allowed them to work in the US, and they had no intention of becoming US citizens. What part of what I said isn't true. BTW, we also had an office in Calgary, and we had some Americans working up there. I guarantee none of our people were working illegally at either location.

The part that is not true is that it is easy !!! In order to get those US work visas they had to prove that there were no Americans  available and able to do the job- and that is not as you say 'simple"   !!  If they had visas they were working legally . 

• Like 1
tomaw

Please excuse my comment and I will refrain from making such comments in the future.

I's ok, I didn't take it that way and there is good information in it.
tomaw

It is very easy for dishonest and illegal immigrants to use and abuse Canada's immigration service. You can use the system to dodge a draft, file bogus refugee claims, avoid criminal prosecution and circumvent U.S immigration law by first exploiting Canadian immigration law.

........ Dodge a draft? When was the last time anyone did that?
tomaw

Thanks for your replies. A lot of useful information here. It looks like Work Permits or Employment Visas will be the way to go for the parents. Once the kids are old enough for college they can come here as international students. It will be expensive but we've got time and can start saving and investing now. My wife can get her mother here easily enough once my wife becomes a U.S. citizen.

Edited by tomaw
SkyMan

Canada has the most successful policy on immigration which is envied by other western countries?

Define successful.
miles-high

The part that is not true is that it is easy !!! In order to get those US work visas they had to prove that there were no Americans available and able to do the job- and that is not as you say 'simple" !! If they had visas they were working legally .

Under NAFTA, TN visas are a little easier to obtain for certain professionals, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN_status...

Of course, you have to be a Canadian or Mexican citizen.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

teach em to swim send em to cuba

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

Define successful.

Can't off the top of my head, as I said impression, gained from the media. I don't think my Canadian brother-in-law agrees cos he's literally native with special privileges but has to compete for work against immigrants.

I think I could safely say most western countries immigration policy has been bettered by Canada's stricter implementation, is that fair comment?

I think the "draft" comment elsewhere on this thread may refer to SK's compulsory military service for Korean males (not a slight on Davaoeno either)!

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
  • Like 1
Headshot

The part that is not true is that it is easy !!! In order to get those US work visas they had to prove that there were no Americans  available and able to do the job- and that is not as you say 'simple"   !!  If they had visas they were working legally . 

Well...like I said in my original reply, I didn't know all of the details. However, I don't believe any of them were doing jobs that Americans (if properly trained and educated) could not have done. We had Americans and Canadians working side-by-side. It may be that because the firm was in both countries that it had different rules. Like I said, I don't know the details.

Edit: Now that I read the link provided on TN visas, it is apparent to me that all of them would have qualified for that visa, since they were all engineers or geologists. .

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
Thelandofku-an

Well...like I said in my original reply, I didn't know all of the details. However, I don't believe any of them were doing jobs that Americans (if properly trained and educated) could not have done. We had Americans and Canadians working side-by-side. It may be that because the firm was in both countries that it had different rules. Like I said, I don't know the details.

Edit: Now that I read the link provided on TN visas, it is apparent to me that all of them would have qualified for that visa, since they were all engineers or geologists. .

FGS, don't start Davaoeno off on "professional engineers" again, pleeeese!   :snap:

• Like 2
Davaoeno

I reserve those comments for our very own resident " they call me Mr Engineer "