R.P. Citizenship>Canadian Citizenship>U.S. Green Card: Is it possable?

tomaw

My wife has two sisters , her mom and two nephews and a niece. One sister is married to an American living in Florida and will be joining him on a Spousal Visa. The other sister is married to a Filipino and they have three kids-two boys and a girl. We all know it is next to impossable for a Filipino family to enter the U.S. directly even for a short vacation let alone imigrate to The U.S. permanently. However I've read that it is fairly easy for them to get into Canada and that it is easy for Canadian citizens to migrate to The U.S. Can this be done? If so how long would it take?

Edited by tomaw
tomaw

And, your point is what???

....I'm not making a point, I'm asking a question
  • Like 1

....I'm not making a point, I'm asking a question

I see you have edited your post now finishing the question.

tomaw

I see you have edited your post now finishing the question.

.... Sorry, typing on my cell phone is a major headache!
Skywalker

I think the question is, can US immigration be usurped, by first claiming citizenship in Canada, and how long is it likely to take?

Headshot

The family that owned our house before us was moving to Calgary on work visas. They already had their visas before they sold the house, so we got a very good deal on the house because they had to sell the house and move or lose their visas. So, I would say that it is very possible for a family (in this case the parents and two children) to emigrate to Canada. I believe that it takes about the same amount of time to be naturalized in either Canada or the US. However, If you were to become a naturalized citizen of Canada, and then immediately apply for an immigration visa in the US, it might raise all kinds of red flags. With the couple we bought from, the husband is a mechanical engineer and the wife is a CPA, so they were both considered professionals by Canada. I have no idea how much that factors into the decision to grant them visas, but I'm sure it was a factor.

tomaw

I think the question is, can US immigration be usurped, by first claiming citizenship in Canada, and how long is it likely to take?

.... Right. My wife or her sister that's married to an American can get their mother here once they have U.S. citizenship, but getting her other sister her husband and kids here is a lot more difficult and could take as long as 20 years! Edited by tomaw
Headshot

What IS simple is for Canadian citizens to live and work in the US (not as immigrants but as foreign workers). Back before the value of the Canadian dollar skyrocketed, it was very common for Canadians to come south for work. There are a lot of details I don't know, but it is possible (it does require a work visa). For that reason, it might work for your sister-in-law and her family.

It is more likely that they will just fall in love with Canada and not want to move to the US for any reason. You and your wife will be moving to the Philippines, and it is very easy for Americans and Canadians to cross the border (with no visa necessary just to visit), so it would be easy enough to visit back and forth after they have Canadian citizenship.

Buko Beach

For a filipino citizen to gain access to Canada, is a hard thing to do. Canada has a very generous social net that includes welfare, paid medicare, unemployment insurance ect, that means keeping anyone who might claim refugee status, or any other claimant out of Canada is the Gov's goal. Too many people abusing the system so Immigration tries to limit the access from nations that are known ecomonic refugee areas. The Philippines is on the list along with alot of others.

Getting a tourist visa is almost impossible for the average filipino. You have to be rich (doctor, lawyer, businessman, ect) to obtain one. Even when filipinos want to visit family members in Canada there are all kinds of hoops and promises that must be signed by both family members to ensure they will return to the Philippines.

Canada does have a very good work visa program for skilled workers and alot of companies are looking for workers they can pay less.

Canada also has a 4year non-skilled labor visa program. Things like hotel maids, fast food service crew, kitchen help, ect are also needed in some parts of the country.  From what I last heard that program was modified. It used to be a three year contract and they were sent back to the Philippines, but now some are offered citizenship. Not sure if this program has changed or will be since there was some backlash about this recently. 

To the OP, ya' know there's such a thing as google. Try to seach out the answers.... they are out there. It seems the forum becomes your google whenever some thought pops into your head. I'm not a hater, I'm just sayin'.

RogerDuMond

For a filipino citizen to gain access to Canada, is a hard thing to do. Canada has a very generous social net that includes welfare, paid medicare, unemployment insurance ect, that means keeping anyone who might claim refugee status, or any other claimant out of Canada is the Gov's goal. Too many people abusing the system so Immigration tries to limit the access from nations that are known ecomonic refugee areas. The Philippines is on the list along with alot of others.

Getting a tourist visa is almost impossible for the average filipino. You have to be rich (doctor, lawyer, businessman, ect) to obtain one. Even when filipinos want to visit family members in Canada there are all kinds of hoops and promises that must be signed by both family members to ensure they will return to the Philippines.

Canada does have a very good work visa program for skilled workers and alot of companies are looking for workers they can pay less.

Canada also has a 4year non-skilled labor visa program. Things like hotel maids, fast food service crew, kitchen help, ect are also needed in some parts of the country.  From what I last heard that program was modified. It used to be a three year contract and they were sent back to the Philippines, but now some are offered citizenship. Not sure if this program has changed or will be since there was some backlash about this recently. 

To the OP, ya' know there's such a thing as google. Try to seach out the answers.... they are out there. It seems the forum becomes your google whenever some thought pops into your head. I'm not a hater, I'm just sayin'.

I didn't remove your post because there is good information in it, but the last sentence was unnecessary and very confrontational.

Buko Beach

I didn't remove your post because there is good information in it, but the last sentence was unnecessary and very confrontational.

Please excuse my comment and I will refrain from making such comments in the future.

It is very easy for dishonest and illegal immigrants to use and abuse Canada's immigration service. You can use the system to dodge a draft, file bogus refugee claims, avoid criminal prosecution and circumvent U.S immigration law by first exploiting Canadian immigration law.

Thelandofku-an

It is very easy for dishonest and illegal immigrants to use and abuse Canada's immigration service. You can use the system to dodge a draft, file bogus refugee claims, avoid criminal prosecution and circumvent U.S immigration law by first exploiting Canadian immigration law.

And yet I have the impression Canada has the most successful policy on immigration which is envied by other

western countries?

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
  • Like 1
miles-high

Deleted...

Edited by miles-high