What is a hero

USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

In another thread the topic came up many military members just for serving are hero's.  I whole heartily believe that is incorrect.  They are noble and honorable for giving to the nation in unselfish manner.   Yet that does by default grant them the term hero.  So what really is a hero. 

My grandfather when I joined the military told me never to be a hero.  You will be dead.  I believe that also.  No one tries to be a hero it is just something that happens.  

The doctor that saved my mother's life when she was diagnosed with cancer will always be a hero to me.  He will get no gold medal to wear around his neck.  The teacher that rushed those kids to safety and lost the battle herself.  Will get no 7 gun salute yet will always be a hero.  

I despise people that feel by default  are a hero.  I think term gets misused and over used to the point people feel everyone is a hero.  Life is not fair and many will go through life and never impact another individual to the point they are a hero.  Yet will somehow will be envious or even spiteful of those that do.  

Opinions?

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Topper

My wife told me that I was "her hero". Does that count? :biggrin_01:

Edited by Topper
Mr. Mike

A hero is a person who selflessly goes beyond what is expected to help, comfort, or assist another person or persons.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 5
Topper

A hero is a person who selflessly goes beyond what is expected to help, comfort, and assist another person or persons.

Yep, that's me!  Thanks Mr. Mike!

Edited by Topper
  • Like 1
goldote

Do lawyers maintain a legal definition of 'hero' that you must adhere to or be sued?

When the media interviews a guy who just saved a busload the answer's always the same.

He/she states they just did the right thing or was just doing a job.   

Hero status in the US does seem exclusive to those serving the country.

Does that include politicians?

Updated language I think would be immediately labeled politically incorrect.   

Every society has ways of showing you your place.

To hear a civilian honestly say 'yeah, I'm a hero' would be refreshing.

I live in an area in Florida where there's a big military population. I've met many of them. Some deserve to be called heroes, while there are also those that... ugh! I just can't stand.

SkyMan

I despise people that feel by default are a hero.

I think if you feel you are a hero you probably aren't. Heroes don't blow their own horn and those that saved lives think more about those they didn't save.

btw My DI called me hero many times but somehow it didn't seem complimentary.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Irenicus

You know it when ya see it.

I am a Guitar Hero by the way....

smokey

My wife told me that I was "her hero". Does that count? :biggrin_01:

she is right getting you to take out the trash 2 days in a row required stamina 

• Like 1
questsea73

Hero is just another word that has been degraded by misusage.  The heroes who go to pawn shops and buy silver stars/navy crosses, etc are one aspect of this.  The officers who issued Purple Hearts for the guys who were hurt tripping over tent guy ropes/stakes heading for bunkers to avoid rocket/mortar attacks in My Vietnam Story circa 1966-7.  And so on.

To me heroes could be anybody risking his own life or self to likely major injury or death, unasked, to help someone in jeopardy and who stands no chance to be rewarded or praised for his effort, whether he succeeds or fails.  Doesn't have anything to do with clothes he is wearing(military).  And it does include people whose job is to take serious risks(firefighters, military etc) in some situations only...not all.  I don't see the 2 guys who were killed in an adjoining artillery battery in my first week in Vietnam as heroes....they were just unlucky, stood in the wrong place in mess line.  Their parents could justifiably see it differently...especially if they were, like me, draftees.

Ken

• Like 1
Headshot

In my book, those who deserve to be venerated as heroes, for the most part, are those who didn't come back, came back in a box, or came back badly wounded (to the extent that they are missing limbs or worse). Even those who have earned the Medal of Honor will tell you they are not heroes, but that their buddies who died were. The rest of us who served...those who never had to face combat while in the military, those who were fortunate enough not to be hit in combat, and those who just kept their heads down...are just lucky...not heroes.

"All gave some...some gave all."  It is those who "gave all" who are true venerated heroes in my book.

That said...I have had three heroes in my life that I have tried to follow. Only one had to give all...and he was crucified, not killed in battle. The other two are Lord Robert Baden-Powell and my father. You see, there are two different kinds of heroes...those that you venerate...and those that you follow. They are not necessarily the same thing. You venerate those who have fallen in battle, but you don't necessarily want to follow them.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
cebubird

In my book, those who deserve to be venerated as heroes, for the most part, are those who didn't come back, came back in a box, or came back badly wounded (to the extent that they are missing limbs or worse). Even those who have earned the Medal of Honor will tell you they are not heroes, but that their buddies who died were. The rest of us who served...those who never had to face combat while in the military, those who were fortunate enough not to be hit in combat, and those who just kept their heads down...are just lucky...not heroes.

"All gave some...some gave all."  It is those who "gave all" who are true venerated heroes in my book.

That said...I have had three heroes in my life that I have tried to follow. Only one had to give all...and he was crucified, not killed in battle.

And thanks and a HEARTY AMEN to that Bill!!!!

The other two are Lord Robert Baden-Powell and my father. You see, there are two different kinds of heroes...those that you venerate...and those that you follow. They are not necessarily the same thing. You venerate those who have fallen in battle, but you don't necessarily want to follow them.

Topper

she is right getting you to take out the trash 2 days in a row required stamina 

You have no idea Smokey...LOL

• Admin (Retired)
broden

a hero can be a lot of things .. my Dad's father died when he was a babe .. his mom raised a large family alone in depression era NYC alone .. that was heroic .. because my Dad lost his father and never new him it meant a lot to him to be a father figure to any kid that needed one .. and he was that for tons of kids .. i still get calls to this day from people who he meant the world to .. that's heroic to in my book

my Dad i know never thought of himself in those terms and i doubt his mother did either 

what makes a hero is hard to exactly define in all cases but selflessness is a good starting point

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...