Sign in to follow this  
GoHuk

Sugar Soap

GoHuk

Anyone know of a product available in the PH that is equivalent to Manger's Sugar Soap?

I believe that sugar soap is mainly caustic soda.  I want it for preparing existing paintwork, degreasing, etc.

Davaoeno

is it anything like TSP ?

Thelandofku-an!

Anyone know of a product available in the PH that is equivalent to Manger's Sugar Soap?

I believe that sugar soap is mainly caustic soda.  I want it for preparing existing paintwork, degreasing, etc.

USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION BECAUSE CONCENTRATED (Mangers is diluted down for domestic use)!

(I used Flash floor cleaning crystals in the UK for decorating, similar benefits).

I think this is what you seek?

Seen it in uymatiao hardware Dumaguete in a cardboard drum in the household cleaning agents section. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lye

Alkaline drain openers

Bottles of alkaline drain cleaners containing sodium hydroxide can dissolve greases and hair.

Alkaline drain openers primarily contain sodium hydroxide and some may contain potassium hydroxide. They may appear in liquid or solid form.

Liquid formulations of corrosive alkaline drain cleaners can contain sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and lye (sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) in concentrations up to 50 percent. Other corrosive mixtures come as two-part cleaners that are mixed as they are poured in the drain opening. Inside the drain the two solutions react to release a gas, and surfactants trap the gas as dense foam. The intent of this foaming action is to coat the inside of the drain pipe to dislodge more of the substances that form the clog.

Solid formulations of corrosive alkaline drain cleaners in the form of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide granules can provide more concentrated effective ingredients. Some patented, solid-formula cleaners add aluminum turnings that react with the solid hydroxide in water to heat the caustic mixture to a boil.

Alkaline drain openers can dissolve hair (containing proteins) and fats inside pipes via alkaline hydrolysis of amide and ester respectively:

RCONH2(amide or proteins)+ OH- → NH3 + RCOO-

RCO2R’(ester or fats)+ OH- → R'OH + RCOO-

There is also a local drain cleaner called Sosa? it's a red coloured liquid in a 150-300ml plastic bottle from Gaisano supermarkets.

Edited by Thelandofku-an!