Sign in to follow this  
sork

One-way to Cebu: What to do about an Ongoing Flight???

Bob Ward

I have come in three times in the last 18 months on a one way ticket. No hassles, no worries. I have never heard of anyone being refused entry because of not having a visa ahead of time. My opinion is that you are making it sound bad when it's no big deal. Either way is fine, and legal.

Edited by Bob Ward

Mike S

I hate to be the barer of bad news but there are utterly hundreds of people .... maybe even thousands that fly into the Phils every month with no visa ....... of all the guys I know going to Angeles alone I have never heard of one coming in on a visa ....... most are only here for 2-3 weeks and then go back home ..... so if they can do it so can anyone else coming here ..... I waited until I got here and had no trouble ...... but then I had a $40 through away ticket ..... just in case the airline refused me boarding ....... and they did ask to see it ...... they check it on line and let me go to my flight ......

Oh and just for the record I have been on 3 Phil boards for more that 8 years and never heard of but one person that wasn't admitted through immigration and that was because he was black-balled due to a criminal record ....... I know a few that were required to buy on going tickets before being allowed in ....... but then that is a requirement and if you try and circumvent it you can get nailed ........

David ben David
Oh and just for the record I have been on 3 Phil boards for more that 8 years and never heard of but one person that wasn't admitted through immigration and that was because he was black-balled due to a criminal record ....... I know a few that were required to buy on going tickets before being allowed in ....... but then that is a requirement and if you try and circumvent it you can get nailed ........

Maybe that is the point of all of this, just obey the law. If you want to come on a one way ticket, get the visa. If you want to come without the visa, get the on going tickets! If you come without the visa and without the on going tickets, then you are not obeying the law. Like all law breakers, a lot of them get away with! or as Mike S said...

if you try and circumvent it you can get nailed ........

Bob Ward

And nobody ever circumvents the law in the Phils, right?

David ben David

Not True Bob! All laws are documented... Somewhere... Usually many times... And no one can determine which one is really the real one... That was amended... or deleted... or forgotten... or (gee, I am tired!)

Bob Ward

Not True Bob! All laws are documented... Somewhere... Usually many times... And no one can determine which one is really the real one... That was amended... or deleted... or forgotten... or (gee, I am tired!)

But you just said this!

Maybe that is the point of all of this, just obey the law.

So what laws should I follow. Make up you mind which way you want to argue this point.

mattwilkie

But you just said this!

So what laws should I follow. Make up you mind which way you want to argue this point.

Like most things in law it can be altered to suit a purpose otherwise we wouldnt need lawyers. Ill throw something else into the mix. You goto the immigration and they are willing to sort any visa you like would you?

Edited by mattwilkie

David ben David
But you just said this!

Ok, I made up my mind...

In my humble opinion...

The DFA must deal with, and in, other countries on an International standards level.

The BOI only deals within the Philippines and is usually surrounded by Fixers and others of questionable authority.

In my humble opinion...

The DFA would be better able to tell you what the law is and the BOI would be in a better position to circumvent those laws.

In short, the laws I would follow for travel into the Philippines are the ones I learned from a Philippine Embassy or Consulate. These say to get a 9(a) Visa OR carry an onward ticket out of the Philippines.

But that is just my humble opinion...

For the serious at heart, my previous comment was really more of a joke or satire on the poor shape of laws and law enforcement in this wonderful country. I am sorry if anyone took it seriously.

samatm

Whewwwweee ok got it...... get the visia with no onward tix. But pls clarify the BB visa thing. My wife will not have a US passport, but has greencard. Will I be able to avail of the BB stamp upon arrival with her and marriage certificate?

thanks

Lee

She and you should be able to get the BB visa, but there is no guarantee if they follow the letter of the law because it says former Philippine citizen, but with a green card IMO they are technically former citizens because they are now resident aliens in the US. Some BIR will approve it and some won't. Once forum member who lives in the Philippines with his Filipina wife posted that they gets a BB every time they return except the last time and then they went to the BIR office in Cebu after the agent at the airport refused to give it to them and BIR in Cebu gave it to him there. Like everything else in the Philippines, it is at the discretion of the person doing it.

Here is the link to the BB info, read it yourself and you decide.

http://us.rpembassy.net/?p=8

I would say that it would be better to be safe than sorry and have a regular visa or whatever else is needed, just in case.

David ben David
She and you should be able to get the BB visa, but there is no guarantee if they follow the letter of the law because it says former Philippine citizen, but with a green card IMO they are technically former citizens because they are now resident aliens in the US. Some BIR will approve it and some won't. Once forum member who lives in the Philippines with his Filipina wife posted that they gets a BB every time they return except the last time and then they went to the BIR office in Cebu after the agent at the airport refused to give it to them and BIR in Cebu gave it to him there. Like everything else in the Philippines, it is at the discretion of the person doing it.

Here is the link to the BB info, read it yourself and you decide.

http://us.rpembassy.net/?p=8

I would say that it would be better to be safe than sorry and have a regular visa or whatever else is needed, just in case.

A "Green Card" holder in the USA is actually a Resident Alien - The Filipina in the above case a Citizen of the Philippines who has been entitled to stay in the USA permanently. Therefore she would not be entitled to a BB stamp, because as a citizen she may stay forever! (Not just a year!) She only needs any arrival stamp (and that may or may not be a BB stamp - depending if she had BB family).

The BB stamp has an either/or qualification as your link says.

1) If the Filipina has accepted citizenship in another nation, she is entitled to a BB stamp in her passport! (Gender is not important). In the case you mention above, the Filipina is still a Citizen of the Philippines so any entry stamp (including BB) is all she needs to stay as long as she wants. She does not herself need a BB stamp to stay forever!

The first part deals ONLY with people who were Citizens in the past and are not now a Philippine Citizen. That is a Former Philippine Citizens... Remember that Philippines Citizens (assumed to have a Philippine Passport) may stay forever and do Not need a BB stamp.

Former Philippine citizens (including Filipinos who have become naturalized U.S. citizens, and citizens of the Bahamas, Bermuda and other countries within the jurisdiction of the Embassy of Washington, D.C.);

2) The second part is about the family who again are NOT Philippine Citizens - all Philippine Citizens may stay forever on any stamp. So the second part only is about the family of a Philippine Citizen OR a Former Philippine Citizen defined in the first part.

The first part of the rule (in red here) is who it applies to. The second part of the rule (in blue) is the qualifications.

Foreign spouses and minor foreign unmarried children

of Filipinos and former Filipino citizens

Where most people have problems with the BB stamp is that 1) They get in the wrong line at the airport! (Not the BB line) I haven't done this for a while but in days past you had to ask in a special line for BB's only.

Then there is all the extra qualifications: If the Filipino is a Former Philippine Citizen they are expected to show proof.

Family members must be traveling with the balikbayan (returning home) spouse. Either a Philippine Citizen or a Former Philippine Citizen that had proven this!

Family members must also be from an approved country. (Former Filipino's may have a passport from any country - as long as they have proof.)

Immigration officers are people, they have bad days and make mistakes. Patience will usually get you what you are entitled to.

I absolutely agree that having a regular Visa is the better way to go if you don't want problems. I have plenty of BB stamps and Visas to prove it!

samatm

So the answer is YES I can get a BB stamp because my wife is returning with her Phils Passport. We should have marriage certificate handy etc.. And this BB stamp will allow me to stay in the country up to a year without having to get visa extentions, is this correct? Are there other benefits to the bb stamp for me?

thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you all and DBD are on the case.

sm

Mailman
And this BB stamp will allow me to stay in the country up to a year without having to get visa extentions, is this correct?

Yes.

Are there other benefits to the bb stamp for me?

Bragging rights when your drinking buddies have to go renew every two months? :D

Bob Ward
And this BB stamp will allow me to stay in the country up to a year without having to get visa extentions, is this correct?

Yes.

Are there other benefits to the bb stamp for me?

Bragging rights when your drinking buddies have to go renew every two months? :D

I'd rather have the bragging rights of being at Lone Star till 4:30 am without having my balls removed with a rusty spoon. LOL

Edited by Bob Ward

Mailman
I'd rather have the bragging rights of being at Lone Star till 4:30 am without having my balls removed with a rusty spoon. LOL

Why? Is that a common occurance there? :D