Sign in to follow this  
sork

One-way to Cebu: What to do about an Ongoing Flight???

sork

I am flying from the US to Cebu via Hong Kong soon.

I bought a one-way to Cebu because I am planning on staying for an indeterminate amount of time and it was cheaper.

I understand that I need an ongoing ticket to be able to board the flight to Cebu. Would a one-way from Manila to Jakarta suffice? It's only $50.

What are my options? Also, is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

David ben David

I bought a one-way to Cebu because I am planning on staying for an indeterminate amount of time and it was cheaper.

I understand that I need an ongoing ticket to be able to board the flight to Cebu. Would a one-way from Manila to Jakarta suffice? It's only $50.

Thanks!

As long as you can legally leave the country - meaning you must also have a visa for a one way ticked to Jakarta.

If you are going to stay longer than 21 days, I really suggest you take the time in the US to get a Visitors Visa.

This Page Explains Philippine Visas...

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/visa.asp

"ENTRY VISA INFORMATION"

Is what happens if you do NOT have a visa... Notice

provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination

I suggest you take the time to contact a Philippine consulate in the USA and get a 59 day visa.

See "TOURIST VISA"

They used to be free.

If you get one you don't need the onward or round trip ticket (I came on a one way, with enough travel checks to buy my return).

If you do not get it in the states (you can do it by mail or FedEx) you will have to spend money and two of your first 21 days here to get this anyway! It is better to do it in the states.

This site will help you find the nearest one and you can download forms.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/home.htm

sork

Thanks David for the information!

sork

It turns out that nor Cathay Pacific nor Immigration asked me for an ongoing ticket.

Lee

Thanks!

I think I just did this on another page but here is the application for a visa and you can get a one year multiple entry for $90 or less time for less. The fees and times are listed at the bottom of the application form.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/downl...migrantVisa.pdf

Here is the page with all the available download forms and the phone number of the embassy at the top in case you need more information.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/Downloads.htm

Yes, a ticket to anywhere outside the country would work but I am pretty sure if you have the visa then you will not need the ongoing ticket. Call the embassy to check.

pi_nite_owl

Thanks!

My understanding is that you can enter Thailand or Macau without a pre-arranged entry visa and both will issue a 30-day tourist visa upon arrival. So I'm thinking probably a ticket on Cebu Pacific (not Cathay Pacific) which can refunded for a P1000 penalty (according to their website) would also work. Anyone here who has done this, please respond with any problems/advice as this is what I'm planning to do for my onward ticket this year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/479.0.html

http://gohongkong.about.com/od/daytrips/f/MacauvisaFAQ.htm

jigsy

Thanks!

My understanding is that you can enter Thailand or Macau without a pre-arranged entry visa and both will issue a 30-day tourist visa upon arrival. So I'm thinking probably a ticket on Cebu Pacific (not Cathay Pacific) which can refunded for a P1000 penalty (according to their website) would also work. Anyone here who has done this, please respond with any problems/advice as this is what I'm planning to do for my onward ticket this year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/479.0.html

http://gohongkong.about.com/od/daytrips/f/MacauvisaFAQ.htm

Macau, HK, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia are all visa on arrival.

I got stuck in HK last year. My work visa was fine, but my children were on Balikbayan visas which has expired while we were away. We had to buy an onward ticket in HK airport for them, before they allowed us on the plane. We eventually got a refund, maybe 3 months later.

If you want to do this, just buy an Air Asia, Cebu Pacific or other budget airline ticket in advance. Others, I gather, have bought a ferry ticket from Zambaonga to Sandakan (Malyasian Borneo), which is the cheapest option I think.

David ben David

Although it isn't really polite to talk about, you have to remember that most Asian countries also continue to evaluate people based on their passport and what they look like. If you are tall, white, well dressed and carrying a USA passport is different than if you are a "comfortable" traveler with rumpled clothing and looking like you are from the Philippines or Vietnam, even if you still carry a USA passport.

It shouldn't be this way, but a lot of things should not be the way they are.

For me, I always try my best to have my documents checked before I go - in the long run it makes things a lot easier. Anyplace I went that I got a visa before getting on the plane, I have had no problems... That includes all major continents and 52 countries!

samatm
Although it isn't really polite to talk about, you have to remember that most Asian countries also continue to evaluate people based on their passport and what they look like. If you are tall, white, well dressed and carrying a USA passport is different than if you are a "comfortable" traveler with rumpled clothing and looking like you are from the Philippines or Vietnam, even if you still carry a USA passport.

For me, I always try my best to have my documents checked before I go - in the long run it makes things a lot easier. Anyplace I went that I got a visa before getting on the plane, I have had no problems... That includes all major continents and 52 countries!

WHAT~ I am planning on flying with my family in October with One Way tix.. via HK to CEB...... Are you saying I need tix for all members of my family for onward travel? Is this still in force? I am also worried that TSA or authorities will give us special attention (read hassles) for traveling one way? do you all have any thoughts there? IS it still true i need to have onward tix? ????????

Bob Ward

WHAT~ I am planning on flying with my family in October with One Way tix.. via HK to CEB...... Are you saying I need tix for all members of my family for onward travel? Is this still in force? I am also worried that TSA or authorities will give us special attention (read hassles) for traveling one way? do you all have any thoughts there? IS it still true i need to have onward tix? ????????

Don't see any reason the US Customs or TSA would bother you about one way. Did it several times.

Regarding the ongoing ticket issue, unfortunately it's hit and miss. The airlines are the ones worried about you not having the ongoing ticket. They would have to fly you out at their expense if you are rejected from entering the Philippines. Unfortunately, different airlines and different cities have adopted varying policies on the matter. Some even reported that immigration officers asked them for these tickets. Don't know why, except to possibly extract a tip/bribe for overlooking it.

There are ways to acquire cheap tickets out of the Phils to another country to meet the requirement. Many have posted about it here.

David ben David

The Philippine LAW says you have to have a visa or you May have to have a ticket out of the country in order to enter the country.

That is the LAW.

Enforcement of that law varies greatly and that results in widely different experiences.

The Easy Way, To Be Sure, is to just follow the law. I always take the time to get a visa, I never have problems.

There are plenty of people who come on a plane with no visa - some get it, some are required to leave at their own expense! Some come with onward or return tickets also. If you are planning a one way ticket, the law requires you to have a visa. It is that simple. The fact that 75% of the time they will still let you in without a visa is not the point. The point is how lucky do you feel? Do you think you will not be in the 25%?

For me, I always get the visa, the officer always looks at it and smiles and tells me to have a good day!

It is that easy!

In the USA you can even do this via FedEx and have no worries when you reach Cebu. Or you can play Russian roulette and hope you are not a part of the 25%

(Note: All percentages are guesses! During the last regional summit in Cebu - all immigration laws were strictly enforced across the board. Each time a bomb blows something up anywhere in the Philippines, or a plane crashes or a ship sinks - all immigration laws are enforced for a month or so. So the percentage may be higher or lower depending on what day it is, or what the headline in the newspaper says. If you follow the law, get the visa before you leave, then there is no problem with a one way ticket.)

Bob Ward

The Philippine LAW says you have to have a visa or you May have to have a ticket out of the country in order to enter the country.

That is the LAW.

Enforcement of that law varies greatly and that results in widely different experiences.

The Easy Way, To Be Sure, is to just follow the law. I always take the time to get a visa, I never have problems.

There are plenty of people who come on a plane with no visa - some get it, some are required to leave at their own expense! Some come with onward or return tickets also. If you are planning a one way ticket, the law requires you to have a visa. It is that simple. The fact that 75% of the time they will still let you in without a visa is not the point. The point is how lucky do you feel? Do you think you will not be in the 25%?

For me, I always get the visa, the officer always looks at it and smiles and tells me to have a good day!

It is that easy!

In the USA you can even do this via FedEx and have no worries when you reach Cebu. Or you can play Russian roulette and hope you are not a part of the 25%

(Note: All percentages are guesses! During the last regional summit in Cebu - all immigration laws were strictly enforced across the board. Each time a bomb blows something up anywhere in the Philippines, or a plane crashes or a ship sinks - all immigration laws are enforced for a month or so. So the percentage may be higher or lower depending on what day it is, or what the headline in the newspaper says. If you follow the law, get the visa before you leave, then there is no problem with a one way ticket.)

Could you provide some references/proof of these laws you mention? I've perused the Philippine Tourism Site and the Bureau of Immigration site and they don't seem to substantiate your claims. E.O. 408 changed that a long time ago, did I miss something?

http://immigration.gov.ph//index.php?optio...6&Itemid=37

Edited by Bob Ward

Mailman
Could you provide some references/proof of these laws you mention? I've perused the Philippine Tourism Site and the Bureau of Immigration site and they don't seem to substantiate your claims. E.O. 408 changed that a long time ago, did I miss something?

http://immigration.gov.ph//index.php?optio...6&Itemid=37

I think the link you provided did it quite nicely. Just use some of that famous Bob Ward brand of 'reading between the lines'. :blink:

Nationals from countries listed below are allowed to enter the Philippines WITHOUT visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination.

Gerald

I arrived Cebu December 14 2007 with a one way ticket from the USA. When i arrived i was asked how long i plan to stay. I told the custon aget i was planing to live her full time and get married. He laughed and stamp my pass port.

Mike S

When I arrived in April I had what is called a through away ticket from Clark to China (some where .... forgot) ..... any way before getting on the Cebu Pacific plane from Taipei to Cebu I was asked by the airline for my on-ward passage ....... only because if immigration refuses you entrance they (the airline) must provide you with a way out of the country ....... you are not required to have a visa before entering the Philippines ....... you can get one here for 21 days free when they stamp your passport .......... however without a visa and you are denied entrance (for any reason) you will be made to leave the country ....

Now if you don't have a through away ticket (one you pay for with no intention of using) and the airline checks you you will be required to buy one at the terminal before boarding the plane and you know what that will cost ......... big bucks .......... much easier and safer to buy a one-way ticket from Clark on one of the economy airlines to somewhere in Asia for about $50+ dollars and then not use it ........

Now sometimes they check and sometimes they don't ...... not worth it to me .... much rather loose $50 than $300 .......... just remember every time you enter the PI you must (or are supposed to) have an ongoing ticket ........ is this illegal ...... no ..... it just provides you with a ticket should you need it ..... the law just states you must be able to leave the Philippines if you are denied entrance ....... some people even use a boat ticket ......

Oh by the way the ticket I used was on Tiger Air and I printed it out on my computer as it was a E-ticket ...... which as I understand that soon (if not now) all airline tickets will be E-tickets ........