Rules for Expat Business Ownership

tomaw

What are the rules for an expat to own or partialy own a business in The Philippines that does NOT involve ownership of land or any other form of real estate?

BossHog

Stay in California. Really

The stresses of running a profitable business are manifold

What are the rules

Did a beer spit-take when I read that.

The "rules" are what you make them and the only variable is the size of yer balls.

• Like 3
smokey

he "rules" are what you make them and the only variable is the size of yer balls.

AND WALLET..

BossHog

you can hide behind a wallet. sure

better to get a pair and deal with life though

• Like 1
BlueFin

Type this in to google.com "how to open a Philippine corporation" and all will be revealed.

lazydays

There is only one rule "It's a Dog eat Dog World out there" the weak get eaten.

mactanfamily

What are the rules for an expat to own or partialy own a business in The Philippines

A. See post that shows up every week with heading similar to "Foreigner blown away in front of family"

B. Invest double the amount of money you hope to make off the "business"

C. There are no rules

D. Don't blame us for saying "I told you so"

tomaw

Successful or not, it would be nice to hear from someone that's actually done something. Maybe those that posted so far have done something but just not talking about it. Others and myself can learn a lot from successes as well as failures but we can't learn anything from someone that's done nothing.

Skywalker

There is an oft' repeated phrase in SEA, usually delivered in comedy - but with a serious side.

"If you want to make a small fortune here, start with a big one."

But make no mistake, there is no magic formula to making a business work, and if you've never run a business (of any size) in your home Country, where you will find the rules easier to comprehend, don't think about doing it here.

If you are determined to try a start up, remember that you have to work harder (and longer) than anybody else you employ, and you are always the last to get paid.

tomaw

A bit about the business I have in mind. I'm an airport shuttle driver in S. California. My American brother in-law does a simular job in Florida in a Towncar. My Filipino brother in-law has a small truck driving people home from the market and added a second truck for someone else to drive. My American brother in-law and I would simply invest in a business that our Filipino brother in-law is successful at already.

Successful or not, it would be nice to hear from someone that's actually done something. Maybe those that posted so far have done something but just not talking about it. Others and myself can learn a lot from successes as well as failures but we can't learn anything from someone that's done nothing.

Problem is the no filipina involvement. 

We started a pepsi stockholder when we arrived, its in my wifes name but pepsi gave us a free tricycle and a about $40k pesos in free stocks.  Profit is 10-22p per case, we make a little from it, mainly to keep us busy.  Eventually we may expand it into other things but right now not alot of motivation or desire so not gonna throw money at a problem we don't have.

I think most businesses won't offer franchises or dealer agreements to non citizens, maybe if you're a permanent resident but no idea on that end.

Edited by Dolsos
Skywalker

but we can't learn anything from someone that's done nothing.

The problem here, is how do you know whether the 'captain of industry' you are talking to, has ever done anything except talk?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I assume the young lady in your avatar photo is your wife? Do yourself a favor, let her 'own' any business you start here. If you don't trust her for whatever reason, change her.

The short answer to your question is basically non Filipinos can not own more than 40% of a domestic corporation unless said corporation is primarily involved in enterprise which is export only. Export only can come in many forms - call center, BPO, manufacturing etc. As for a sole proprietorship - forget it.

Edited by Monsoon
USMC-Retired

The thing is I could be successful and followed all the rules.  You could do the same and fall flat here.  The rules change and so does everything.  There are no rules and every rule has a phrase "at the discretion of".    

I made real good money for about 2 years with internet cafes yet I know many that failed.   Business here is about passion more then rules and making a profit.  

smokey

The thing is I could be successful and followed all the rules.  You could do the same and fall flat here.  The rules change and so does everything.  There are no rules and every rule has a phrase "at the discretion of".    

I made real good money for about 2 years with internet cafes yet I know many that failed.   Business here is about passion more then rules and making a profit.

if i need passion i will ask for a tune up from the wife...