Can anyone identify this snake please?

fred42

We found this thing with a frog in its gob up a young coconut tree.. Unfortunately,I had to order the specimen whacked as it was 5 meters from the house..

Anyone any idea what it was??

A local suggested Rat snake.

The orange bits worried me as that colour usually means danger.

45651_10200240985642076_1686771731_n.jpg

Edited by fred42
fred42

Jus did a Google search of Philippine snakes and this one looks close.. What do you reckon?

Paradise flying tree snake, (Chrysopelea paradisi) eating a Tokay gecko (Gekko gecko) in the Philippines.

It is an unusual colour variant of the paradise flying tree snake, Chrysopelea paradisi.  They can flatten their bodies by stretching their ribs to glide over horizontal distances of  up to 100m from the tree tops.

WinnerPhotocomp2007.jpg

http://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/grants/honours_awards_prizes/photocomp_2007.php

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1
Scruffydog

We found this thing with a frog in its gob up a young coconut tree.. Unfortunately,I had to order the specimen whacked as it was 5 meters from the house..

I did a lot of looking around also. The OP is right I think. Tree Snake . It is poisonous but has rear fangs so it's a little harder to bite you.

Snakes are easy here in GA. If it is anywhere near the water it is a moccasin if not it is a rattlesnake. Kill  .. Throw on the back of your truck and carry around for everyone to see.

You said it was eating a frog? Well, I am no snake expert, but based on its eating habit, then it is definitely a Frog Snake.....Duh!