Can a non resident open a local bank account?

I think in all fairness to Good Samaritan some of these questions should be answered in private as soon as he is able to except messages ....... you never know who might read the board and interpret some of the information in a wrong light ....... sometimes discretion is the better part of valour ....... :lol::D :D :D

First let me say that I appreciate her or his attempt to help, but that is a problem that I have found here in the Philippines, everyone here seems to be trained to give vague answers to questions which still leave the questions unanswered and if someone is going to answer a question in the first place, then they should answer it correctly or at the very least PM the person who asked the question with the correct answer if it possibly goes against any laws.

If you read this thread from the beginning and then read down to one of my posts, I did the best I could to answer the very same question for the person who originally asked it because they seemed to be getting frustrated by all the vague answers they were getting and I believe I basically did answer the question they asked and then God Samaritan put in their vague answer and started it all over again and it again leaves more questions than answers.

I have to wonder if everyone here is taught in US law school and politician format! :D:D:angry: but also true. :D

Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee

• Good Samaritan

• JohninCebu

• Daisy

Good Samaritan
Yes.Some banks are strict and some just conveniently overlook the requirement. I'm not really an expert on Phil. banking laws but what I know is that I know of many foreigners who were able to open bank accounts with minimal fuss. :D

You did not answer my question above, can someone who does not live in the RP and without an address open an account at your bank or others?

Please read the whole thing above.

Thanks!

Yes, you may!But only a savings account and not a checking account.

tom_shor

Thank you. Makes sense to me.

I've found here usually to open a checking account you have to have a minimum balance in a Savings account for usually six months to a year. Not really a big problem many here won't accept checks anyway.

Good Samaritan
Thank you. Makes sense to me.

I've found here usually to open a checking account you have to have a minimum balance in a Savings account for usually six months to a year. Not really a big problem many here won't accept checks anyway.

Filipinos are still wary of accepting checks! :) And checks can be used to pay for future obligations, example, one can issue post dated checks for installment payments for appliances, etc., and without a Philippine address and contact number, it would be difficult for banks to track down the owner of the account, and sadly, we have had instances where sellers have been duped by postdated checks issued to them by non-residents and by the time these checks fall due, the non-resident/s fail to deposit and make good on their payment. By that time they could have already been in Timbuktu! :D

One good thing about savings accounts, on the part of the bank, is that withdrawal from these accounts usually require personal appearances. ATM machines only allow a maximum of P10,000 to P20,000 a day...so sooner or later, you would have to show yourselves! :D

So you are saying that I can open a savings account and get an ATM card to withdraw money from the savings account ....... and can I also transfer money from an account in the US to my savings account in the Philippines without have to wait for a certain length of time like a US check which takes approx 30 days to clear ...... how soon with the money appear in my account ....... I assume that all transactions will be in pesos ... which is fine with me ...... I am mainly interested in not having to keep large sums of money in the apartment or on me ....... and use an ATM card to withdraw money for daily use .... I can then have the money sent right to the savings account in Cebu .......

Hi guys

While I do not wish to be too skeptical and while I am sure that Good Samaritan is probably totally on the up and up, I do wish to tell you that you do not know this person and that you should exercise caution when dealing with anyone over the Internet, even on this forum.

I would advise that none of you send large sums of money to open any of these accounts without doing your homework and at the very least, until you get here and have your own ATM card in your own hands and have met all the people involved.

Good Samaritan seems to be a person who wants to help others and also a smart person who wants to build up their accounts, but with that said, I have also read about people high up in banks here and even in the USA who have run away with customers money and while I am not saying that this is the case, I am telling you all to at the very least, use the same caution that you would dealing with any person that you do not know.

I am sure Good Samaritan would agree with me on this and since they are looking to build up future relationships, the amount you send at the beginning should not make any difference to them and it would be a lot safer for you.

Sorry, but I am just a very cautious person and do not wish to see fellow forum members end up possibly getting burnt.

Edited by Mr. Lee
mikejwoodnz
Hi guys

While I do not wish to be too skeptical and while I am sure that Good Samaritan is probably totally on the up and up . . . . .

Sorry, but I am just a very cautious person and do not wish to see fellow forum members end up possibly getting burnt.

- yes Mr Lee this Good Samaritan is offering his assistance to open up an account for forum members in several Threads at the moment. He's even offered his Yahoo address for us to send our personal information to assist him in opening our bank accounts ! I have applied on line to his Bank to open an account and am advising his Bank that he has offered to assist, in his capacity as their employee, to facilitate the opening of accounts for those of us in need. I look forward to their reply :D

My post in the other thread :

"Hey! my Good Samaritan, that's very kind of you - thank you - but to save you all that trouble I'll just fill in the Bank's online form and you can pick it up at work tomorrow - OK ? - Oh and I'll let them know that you've offered to look after things for me - thanks a million - Mike "

Hi guys

While I do not wish to be too skeptical and while I am sure that Good Samaritan is probably totally on the up and up . . . . .

- yes Mr Lee this Good Samaritan is offering his assistance to open up an account for forum members in several Threads at the moment. He's even offered his Yahoo address for us to send our personal information to assist him in opening our bank accounts ! I have applied on line to his Bank to open an account and am advising his Bank that he has offered to assist, in his capacity as their employee, to facilitate the opening of accounts for those of us in need. I look forward to their reply :D

My post in the other thread :

"Hey! my Good Samaritan, that's very kind of you - thank you - but to save you all that trouble I'll just fill in the Bank's online form and you can pick it up at work tomorrow - OK ? - Oh and I'll let them know that you've offered to look after things for me - thanks a million - Mike "

HI Mike,

Thanks for your input and it seems like you are doing it the correct way, online, and I am sure that Good Samaritan is on the up and up, as I said before, but I just wanted to point out to everyone that they should not jump into this or any offer which seems to good to be true or seems to be unable to be done by anyone else, with too much money.

I have been back and forth to the Philippines for many years now and we live here and have an actual address here and bills and we also have a number of bank accounts here, so I do not really need their service, but if they, and I think Good Samaritan is a woman based on the email address given by them which starts with marie, can do this, but anyone can have any email address nowadays and email addresses do not really mean much, I am very happy for all the forum members who can get help from her or him, but I also know of many people here who have been unable to accomplish what Marie seems to be offering including myself before we had an address and bills. Don't get me wrong, I am glad someone is finally waking up and taking care of foreigners, but I am also concerned and did not want anyone to get burned too bad, because it sounds too good to be true by what I know about the banking business here, so that is why I again state, use caution until you meet them in person and at the bank they work at.

I will go and meet Good Samaritan one day down the road and soon after she tells me which branch she works in and report back to the forum members, but they should not take even my word, because I am but another Internet person who they do not know, but at least people like Paul, Bob Ward, JohnRainy, Hoz, Ologist, just to name a few of the members, have at least met me in person and know that I really do exist, if you get what I mean.

Again, Good Samaritan, I am not doubting you or saying anything bad about you, but I would like to meet you in person and speak to your branch manager to ask how this is being accomplished? and more power to you for being able to accomplish it for the forum members.

Edited by Mr. Lee
If not then supposing you have a trusted local friend whose address you can use for official purposes?

Without an ACR card or other proof of residence, is it possible to open a bank account?

I asked this question to my friend in Allied Bank and BDO and even Land Bank of the Philippines and they said yes. As long as you will submit to them 2 basic valid Identifications, example are your Passport and your Driver's License and 3 pcs. 1 X 1 ID picture and each bank's initial deposit requirement....if you have that, those bank (here at CDO at least) will be happy to serve you. They will only ask more documents when you will open a direct deposit account.

Good Samaritan

Hi guys!!!!

I understand the skepticism, and yes I am in full agreement that online banking transactions, especially with someone you do not really know, would seem really doubtful.

I also understand your need for security. Because hard-earned money is hard-earned money.

But please do not barrage the bank with phone calls because we also do need to keep the lines open to other clients :) . I'm asking Mr. Lee or anyone he so would like to designate, to verify my identity/existence/legitimacy, sir, you could just directly ask for me or you could ask to talk to the manager.

Please do not misconstrue this as another form of advertisement. But if you want, you can personally visit me at Bank of Commerce, Cebu-Main Branch, at Osmena Blvd, near Robinson's Dept. Store, or you can give me a ring at (032)253-1951 to 53, you just ask for Mayen (which is my name, by the way). Banking hours are from 9am to 4pm on Mondays to Fridays. And from 10am to 3pm on Saturdays. I am at the bank from Monday to Friday but not always on a Saturday.

I am 25 years old and I just recently transferred from Davao City. I have been with Bank of Commerce for 4 years now and my company id no. is 2003-0115. My reason for joining this forum was getting in touch with Cebu-transplants, perhaps other people from Davao, since I know only a very few people here. When I saw the Banking and Finance thread, I decided to join in with my posts because it is a topic that I know about and I am good at. I noticed that it has evoked reactions that I never foresaw :) , again I am sorry for whatever doubts or discomfort I might have caused you guys. But all the same, I stand by what I have posted and I am looking forward to the day that what I post would no longer be doubted as a gimmick or a scam.

Good Samaritan

P.S. Please do not see it as a sign of guilt if I refrain from posting just yet. I just do not want to add to the controversy of my legitimacy. I will keep reading this thread though and wait for Mr. Lee's post confirming or denying my "authenticity." :)

Bob Ward
P.S. Please do not see it as a sign of guilt if I refrain from posting just yet. I just do not want to add to the controversy of my legitimacy. I will keep reading this thread though and wait for Mr. Lee's post confirming or denying my "authenticity." :)

If I may interject here for a moment? GS, it's only natural for people living outside their own country to be careful. Especially when they live in one of the most corrupt ones.

That being said, I will say that your request to provide personal information would not be accepted in most scenarios, but exponentially so on the net!!

Regardless, if you really want to help, just integrate a bit into the forum and when you are ready, just provide data that is comfortable regarding your involvement and motivations. Nobody here is against making a buck, if that is your end game?Just handle yourself professionally.

Edited by Bob Ward
Hi guys!!!!

I understand the skepticism, and yes I am in full agreement that online banking transactions, especially with someone you do not really know, would seem really doubtful.

I also understand your need for security. Because hard-earned money is hard-earned money.

But please do not barrage the bank with phone calls because we also do need to keep the lines open to other clients :) . I'm asking Mr. Lee or anyone he so would like to designate, to verify my identity/existence/legitimacy, sir, you could just directly ask for me or you could ask to talk to the manager.

Please do not misconstrue this as another form of advertisement. But if you want, you can personally visit me at Bank of Commerce, Cebu-Main Branch, at Osmena Blvd, near Robinson's Dept. Store, or you can give me a ring at (032)253-1951 to 53, you just ask for Mayen (which is my name, by the way). Banking hours are from 9am to 4pm on Mondays to Fridays. And from 10am to 3pm on Saturdays. I am at the bank from Monday to Friday but not always on a Saturday.

I am 25 years old and I just recently transferred from Davao City. I have been with Bank of Commerce for 4 years now and my company id no. is 2003-0115. My reason for joining this forum was getting in touch with Cebu-transplants, perhaps other people from Davao, since I know only a very few people here. When I saw the Banking and Finance thread, I decided to join in with my posts because it is a topic that I know about and I am good at. I noticed that it has evoked reactions that I never foresaw :) , again I am sorry for whatever doubts or discomfort I might have caused you guys. But all the same, I stand by what I have posted and I am looking forward to the day that what I post would no longer be doubted as a gimmick or a scam.

Good Samaritan, please do not be offended by what I posted, I am only trying to look out for the interests of all who are on the forum. If you read the news and I am sure you must, then you are sure to know just how many scams are out there on the Internet and I felt the need to tell others to use the due caution, that they should when dealing with anyone on the Internet because you are offering a service which most other banks say is illegal. Sometimes when people say things are illegal, they really mean that it is against bank policy and not really illegal according to the law. I am not in any way accusing you of anything and I am sorry if I have offended you in any way. I will stop by to see you Monday or Tuesday at the latest to discuss these issues and then I will be sure to post exactly what I find.

Thank you again for helping the forum members and please forgive me for being skeptical.

See you soon.

Good Samaritan

If I may interject here for a moment? GS, it's only natural for people living outside their own country to be careful. Especially when they live in one of the most corrupt ones.

That being said, I will say the your request to provide personal information would not be accepted in most scenarios, but exponentially so on the net!!

Regardless, if you really want to help, just integrate a bit into the forum and when you are ready, just provide data that is comfortable regarding your involvement and motivations. Nobody here is against making a buck, if that is your end game?Just handle yourself professionally.

Yes, I totally understand. I even admit that I am a paranoid when it comes to my safety, coming from a different city but within the same country. I assure you, I'm totally open to whatever the moderators decide to do.

Edited by Good Samaritan
Good Samaritan
Hi guys!!!!

Good Samaritan, please do not be offended by what I posted, I am only trying to look out for the interests of all who are on the forum. If you read the news and I am sure you must, then you are sure to know just how many scams are out there on the Internet and I felt the need to tell others to use the due caution, that they should when dealing with anyone on the Internet because you are offering a service which most other banks say is illegal. Sometimes when people say things are illegal, they really mean that it is against bank policy and not really illegal according to the law. I am not in any way accusing you of anything and I am sorry if I have offended you in any way. I will stop by to see you Monday or Tuesday at the latest to discuss these issues and then I will be sure to post exactly what I find.

Thank you again for helping the forum members and please forgive me for being skeptical.

See you soon.

No offense taken Mr. Lee! :) I'm looking forward to meeting you come Monday or Tuesday.See you! :)