re; Need help re going to manila VA for the first time

jaxsurfingatorncebu

Greetings All,

I/we are planning a trip to Manila next week. I need to see about getting my meds renewed. I have been inCebu since Dec 8th 2012. I am not registered online with the VA. I also need to do that. I started it once but lost a computer. Need help on that.

Need info on where to stay in Manila close to the Embassy grounds.

Be Well

Marc

AKA Gator

Semper Fi

I don't know anything about VA so someone else needs to help you out with that but regarding the hotels I could recommend city state tower hotel which is a budget hotel 2 blocks away on Mabini street. http://citystatetowerhotel.com.ph/accommodations.html

But there are other hotels nearer to the embassy, such as Bayview park hotel and others, but I know nothing about them.

Another hotel, if you don't mind spending, is H2O hotel: http://www.hotelh2omanila.com/index.php

Do your booking using agoda to get the best rates: http://www.agoda.com/

And lastly a tip for lunch: G-point is around the corner on Padre Faura from city state hotel. They have eat all you can buffets (mix swedish & asian) for approx 249 + drink (a must)... so approx 300 if the prices are still same as 1 year ago.

Headshot

Probably the closest hotel to the VA faacility is the Heritage Hotel Manila at the intersection of Roxas Boulevard and EDSA. From there, you go about 800 meters north on Roxas Boulevard and The VA Medical Clinic is on the right side.

I believe you MUST have an appointment or they won't even let you into the building, so get online and get an appointment before you attempt to go there. Otherwise, it will be a wasted effort. Good luck.

• Like 1
Nangulo

Heads-up - do not show up to the VA clinic without an appointment.

If you don't have an appointment letter with your name on it for the specific date, you are NOT getting into the VA clinic - period!

Yes, I have personal experience with this.

Here's the routine:  You are either scheduled for an appointment by courier letter or you request an appointment through MyHealtheVet.com, in which case you'll get a letter by courier.  You take that letter on the specified date and show it to the guard.  He checks your letter against his list.  If you don't have your letter or your name is not on his list, you are not getting into the VA clinic.

Edited by Nangulo
  • Like 1
Nangulo

The VA clinic is not really close to the Embassy.  It's a separate compound near the corner of Roxas and EDSA.  Closest hotels within walking distance to VA clinic are Heritage or Sogo.  If you're wanting to stay near the Embassy and cab back and forth to the clinic, try the Swagman  - real good food, and if you're flying into Manila, they will pick you up and drop you off at NAIA free.  www.swaggy.com

Edited by Nangulo
mpt1947

When I Re-enrolled with the VA in July 2011, I called to ask what I should do - over the phone they gave me a date and time to show up - they did not send me an appointment letter for my first visit -  

I stay at the Copacabana (www.copasuites-manila.com/), also at the intersection of Roxas and EDSA, less expensive then Heritage and good food.

Usually you need to be Service Connected in order to be seen at the Clinic, however they will refill your Meds, if the VA has them in their inventory.

As stated, you need to be Service Connected.  If you are not service connected, or if you are and would like to increase your rating, you are encouraged to file claims.  I went from 20% in July of 2011 to 100% in September of 2012.  So start thinking about all your ailments that you have and write them down - something just may stick.

The Manila Clinic has only one Certified Veteran Service Officer and he is with the VFW - you do not need to belong to the VFW in order to be seen by him, but your Power of Attorney must be with the VFW.  Don Melendy is the VSO and his number is 02-550-3885.  It should be noted that as the only VSO he is very busy - so you may need to call several times before you get a hold of him.

When you call the VA tell them that you need to be set up on "My HealthVet"  it is the online appointment scheduler and from there you can also order refills for your Meds.  When you check in for your Appointment the Regional Office Receptionist is on the Left Side of the Glass Cage - tell them (unless you are already set up) that you need access to eBenefits.  They will start the paperwork for you - but your Temporary Password will be sent from Washington D.C.

Here is a link to the VA Clinic http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=682

If you are a Military Retiree, you might be interested in RAO - I don't have a link for them, but I am sure one of the retirees here does.

If you are a Veteran of a Foreign War, we just activated a VFW here in Cebu City - I note that you only have 14 posts, so you can't send or receive PM's yet.  If you would like more information on the VFW, let a Mod know and they will help you contact me.

Good luck and welcome to Cebu

• Like 1
Headshot

If you would like more information on the VFW, let a Mod know and they will help you contact me.

Actually, only admins can do that. Mods don't have access to member contact information.

• Like 1
mpt1947

Actually, only admins can do that. Mods don't have access to member contact information.

But it would be easier for you to contact an Admin then for another member to do so

Bill H

This is something I know about.  Everyone who told you not to go without an appointment is spot on correct.  The guards will not admit you to the building if your name is not on their list.  www.myhealth.va.gov will be the best way to get your meds refilled, but you have to go through the enrollment process and be "certified" which requires a personal visit to a VA facility.  It's certainly worth the effort because you can then not only get your medications, but also request an appointment.

When I first came here 3 years ago, they would see you for non-service related problems if you were service related for something, but that is not the case now.  They've really tightened up on this so if you are not service related for what you are requesting, you will not be seen.  I'm told this will soon be the case for medications as well.  I suspect you will see the entire VA going in this direction in he near future.  Times, they are a changing for Vets, and as usual we will take it in the ear.

I stay at the 24H in Makati.  It's very good value for the money, but about 100p cab ride to the VA, much less via Jeepney, but requires 2 rides and a .5km walk.  I'm not familiar with the other hotels listed here, but I'm going to check up on them.  I pay about 1,500p at 24H which includes a good breakfast.

Edited by Bill H
Headshot

But it would be easier for you to contact an Admin then for another member to do so

Even NEW members can PM admins. It's built into the system. So...getting a third person involved just complicates the issue. I didn't write that just for this case, but so everybody knows it. Trust me when I tell you that the admins will answer any member's PM just as fast as they will answer my PM.

miles-high

Probably the closest hotel to the VA faacility is the Heritage Hotel Manila at the intersection of Roxas Boulevard and EDSA. From there, you go about 800 meters north on Roxas Boulevard and The VA Medical Clinic is on the right side.

If you like to walk, crossing EDSA from the Heritage Hotel (used to be our crew hotel) could be of somewhat scary experience...  :)

The closest hotel is Midas Hotel (next to the Embassy of Japan, approx. 400m to the VA). They provide airport transfer, it looks nice from outside as I drive in front of the hotel 2, 3 times a month but I have never stayed there... ;)

• Like 2

If you like to walk, crossing EDSA from the Heritage Hotel

Well, you might end up in EDSA food complex...!!

miles-high

Well, you might end up in EDSA food complex...!!

Or end up in da EDSA Complex... ;)

lucky138

I am getting ready to enroll in VA insurance here in USA>  Does that mean I will be able to use it over there if needed???

jaxsurfingatorncebu

Thanks again guys. One of my problems .Is that I never got signed up and certified on myheallthy vet.com. I started it but never finished it.

So I need help with that. Severly tech challenged hereand my PTSD doesn't help when I start to get frustrated.

And these days my wife is driving me nuts about my meds!   :bomb:    :ROFLMAO:

OH and my wife tried all day yesterday to phone the Clinic , and it was busy!

Be Well

Gator