Cruising the Philippines

In

my nearly 3 years here I've built 2 banca's, extensively repaired a

third and I've got a mono-hull in the early stages of building.  Here

are my impressions of boats and boating in the Philippines.

Cruising the Philippines:

I

have not been able to do as much as I'd like, but I do know there are

absolutely stellar cruising grounds here that a largely pristine because

very few foreign boats come here.  Foreign boats don't come here very

much because the Philippines has a bad reputation some deserved some not

and very, very few facilities for cruisers.  When I talk to cruisers

who have never been here, the first thing they ask is, "is it safe?" 

Except for a selected parts of Mindanao I think it's as safe here as

most any other poor 3rd world country.  As for the lack of facilities, I

don't understand why there is so little support for them, but there

isn't and I don't think that will change any time soon.

When it comes to piracy and kidnapping, you are right about Western Mindanao. But if we talk robbery and burglery, it might be the same all over Philippines and since there is not many foreign boats here, you might have a higher risk at sea. I hope I´m wrong ´cos it would be real cool to cruise around The Visayas.

Skywalker

There have been many reported attacks on yachts off the coast of Thailand,  so I am guessing that is what is keeping the yacht brigade in the Med.

Topper

A couple of twin-mounted 50's on each side of the boat should fix any problem that could arise. :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

A couple of twin-mounted 50's on each side of the boat should fix any problem that could arise. :biggrin_01:

or simply do one's boating in more friendly and comfy locales :)

• Like 1
CardiacKid

Yeah, but the maintenance is such a drag. You have to keep them cleaned and oiled, the muzzles covered, and periodically fire them to maintain proficiency. Then, you have to clean and oil, cover the muzzles ad nauseum. You also possess a high value target for Abu, NPA, and other alphabet terror groups. Simpler and easier to stay in safer surroundings. 

spritsail

If cruising, You have to rely on American Navy charts that were first produced before and immediately after the WW2 and the Pilotage Guide to the Philippines, the first edition being 1926? . Somethng like 1200 pages that takes ages to scan. Even the yacht pilots guide to south east asia barely mentions the philippines.  As a perfect example, the chart Illigan to Butuan that also charts Camiguin Island, its difficult to make out Mantigue Island, yet its the largest offshore island hereabouts. You have to keep a good look out and have GPS and a smell for the reefs. There are very few coastal navigation buoys or lights and ones that are, are usually cellphone towers, not shown on the charts.  

i am not sure if there are electronic charts for the Philippines now, I would be interested to know any, and the hardware needed, if available in the Philippines.  

• Like 1

There were quite a few Cats moored off Camotes this last weekend.

I thought not many peopled sailed the waters because foreigners like keels which are not suitable for the shallow waters and uncharted reefs. 

If cruising, You have to rely on American Navy charts that were first produced before and immediately after the WW2 and the Pilotage Guide to the Philippines, the first edition being 1926? . Somethng like 1200 pages that takes ages to scan. Even the yacht pilots guide to south east asia barely mentions the philippines.  As a perfect example, the chart Illigan to Butuan that also charts Camiguin Island, its difficult to make out Mantigue Island, yet its the largest offshore island hereabouts. You have to keep a good look out and have GPS and a smell for the reefs. There are very few coastal navigation buoys or lights and ones that are, are usually cellphone towers, not shown on the charts.  

i am not sure if there are electronic charts for the Philippines now, I would be interested to know any, and the hardware needed, if available in the Philippines.  

What about Garmin´s Bluechart Philippines! (For your information my knowledges about the topic is limited and I only "cruise" with Superferry.. ;) )

So we need this, to avoid the reefs.. :thumbsup:

Canair_Hovercraft2-thumb-450x338.jpg

Canuck Joe

There were quite a few Cats moored off Camotes this last weekend.

I thought not many peopled sailed the waters because foreigners like keels which are not suitable for the shallow waters and uncharted reefs. 

I think those are aluminum rigs built in Cebu buy an Australian outfit, high end charter stuff, theyes will have all the gear. Santiago bay is one of their stops. I've seen them there too.I

• 3 weeks later...
JohnD

There have been quite a few sailboats showing up on Camotes Island. I talked with one guy who was French and his crew had sailed from the Med through Indonesia to Camotes. He told me he heard about Camotes in a sailing magazine as a good safe location to stop at.

• 3 weeks later...
the boss

Lots of yachts sitting at the club over in Subic.

I guess they go out sometimes.

Bill H

Yes there are.

spritsail

Morbai charts in Cebu and Manila supply charts, although these are mostly photocopies of the original charts. I will ask the owner if they supply electronic charts. My missionary friend in Davao who building a 38 mt steel top sail schooner has electronic charts but bought all his nav systems and charts in the USA.

i have a Furuno Sat Nav, which can interface into a laptop, so that might be a solution.

With regard  to crusiing we had a few months cruising malapascua, el grande island, boracay, coron bay Palawan but my pinoy crew got very homesick and had to return to Camiguin. To get away from this seasons NE monsoon we are heading for west palawan - Port barton and El Nido.  

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

You may find better charts from foreign chandlers doing geophysical surveys from Mactan Yacht Club!

Electronic charts are available, but are merely based on the hydrographic information that is already available on the paper charts. Absolutely fine for sailing into large ports and offshore, but I'd be hesitant to sail around the islands and into bays without local knowledge or advice. Would be a good idea to pair up with someone like spiritsail initially.

The large yachts, except for the more hardened owner, tend to avoid the Philippines due to all the hassle.