Funny Money Exchange

.Would tipping with fake discontinued Romanian money be illegal?

Those are two different things!

Discontinued note = maybe unfortunate, maybe silly

Fake note = illegal in most jurisdictions

SkyMan

Fake note = illegal in most jurisdictions

Well there's actually been no allegations that the notes are fake other than by members of this forum.  But even so, fakes of discontinued notes?  Seems like that would be along the lines of Monopoly money as long as you don't try to pass them as having any value.  And since the notes are likely real but still worthless, no crime there either.

For example, if I had some fake Confederate money, I could pass that around as novelty since there is no more Confederacy to complain about the counterfeiting.  But if I tried to sell them to a collector as real then I'd be up on fraud charges.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Alan S

I  always carry  a "dummy" wallet containing several discontinued notes from various countries.

If someone picks my pocket, they get a nice fat wallet and would think they had struck it rich. Until, that is, they tried to use the money.

I doubt I am the only person to do this, so that could be the source of "funny money".

Brucewayne

Would tipping with fake discontinued Romanian money be illegal?  I could see if you were trying to spend them on something or trying to convert them to pesos,  But with a tip being a gift, I don't think you could nail him for that.  It's stupid unless the guy at least tells who he gives them to that they're worthless.

Circulating counterfeit money is supposed to be illegal, but if nobody is cheated out of service or products, maybe there wouldn't likely be a problem.