BI to go tougher on aliens with fake visas

Peter C
from GMA news

Starting this month, the Bureau of Immigration will go more aggressively against aliens using fake travel documents such as immigration stamps and fake reentry and exit permits.

BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. ordered not only the arrest of foreigners with fake visas or visa extension stamps, but also the imposition of penalties on BI personnel providing such documents.

David said administrative sanctions and possible criminal charges await BI employees providing fake immigration stamps and travel documents.

Such spurious immigration documents include the ACR I-Card, emigration clearance certificate (ECC) and re-entry permits.

On the other hand, BI spokesperson and acting intelligence chief Atty. Ma. Antonette Mangrobang said aliens caught with these fake documents face not just deportation but also blacklisting and a ban from re-entering the Philippines.

Mangrobang said such offenses not only show "disrespect to the integrity of the BI" but also "deprived the government of much needed revenues.”

David’s order also provides guidelines BI officers have to follow when they suspect that the immigration documents held by aliens are fraudulent.

The guidelines state such documents should be referred to the anti-fraud section for examination.

If the documents are found fraudulent, the alien “shall be turned over to BI intelligence agents who will then commit him to the BI Detention Center pending deportation proceeding.
  • Like 1
USMC-Retired

great so if you did not know it was fake or faked by a BI personel you get detained.  Sounds good for tourism that BI officials are corrupt and we will punish the tourist because we can not control our people.  So now the tourist must pay the price.  Way to go Philippines how many arrested tourists before your more fun in the Philippines more time in jail. 

• Like 3
smokey

next it will be LTO for all the guys who got a drivers lic. without taking the test... 

• Like 2
Buko Beach

The new penalties are in response to the increase of foreign nationals using fake immigration stamps. Two of the more recent cases involve guys from China and India who tried to leave the Philippines using fake entry/exit stamps to get around paying for visa extensions. Both had overstayed for more than 2yrs.

If you pay extensions direct to BI nothing to worry about. If you pay your visa fees around Colon get ready to be blacklisted.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1939&Itemid=78

• Like 1

Fake immigration stamps, and reentry or exit permits are probably one of the last things this country should be worried about. 

• Like 1
lazydays

Be careful those who use fixers i guess.

The new penalties are in response to the increase of foreign nationals using fake immigration stamps. Two of the more recent cases involve guys from China and India who tried to leave the Philippines using fake entry/exit stamps to get around paying for visa extensions. Both had overstayed for more than 2yrs.

If you pay extensions direct to BI nothing to worry about. If you pay your visa fees around Colon get ready to be blacklisted.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1939&Itemid=78

It's not necessarily a dodgy guy in Colon who fixes those visa stamps, it's usually a guy from the Bureau of Immigration itself or someone who is very well connected and will bring it to one of them. I've heard of cases where the fake(?) immigration stamps can be had at Manila Airport by a guy working there who accepts cash under the table. 

When it comes to copying the look of a genuine visa extension or exit stamp, the Philippine ones seem to be easy to replicate. They even write alot of stuff by hand while other countries always stamp something instead of writing.

Edited by Stone
thebob

I think that the quality of the stamp is immaterial. If it isn't in the computer then it is fake.

• Like 1

What is the best way to protect oneself? Keep the receipts in a safe place I guess..?

Paul

I think that the quality of the stamp is immaterial. If it isn't in the computer then it is fake.

Without a doubt. You have to make sure they enter it into the computer and keep all receipts. Do NOT do any business with agents outside an immigration office within the Philippines.

Keep the receipts in a safe place I guess..?

I would keep all receipts from the BI.

dennis1105

"disrespect to the integrity of the BI"

Seems that Filipinos don't have any problem doing that in other countries... in the US alone, there are over 300.000 Filipino illegals who don't mind "disrespecting the integrity of our Immigration" . For every one of us that they deport, we should deport 100 of them...we still would never be even.

I'm not sure what the fines are in the Philippines for overstaying,but in Thailand it's ridicilous. You will be fined 500 baht (approx 16.50$) each day for overstaying but the fine will never be more than 25,000 baht, even if you overstay 10 years, if you reach 25,000 in overstay fines, that's it, one pays the fine, exits the country and then re-enters. Many people have decided to just overstay for more than a year, because it's by far the cheapest alternative to the costly visa runs.

Edited by Stone
Buko Beach

It's not necessarily a dodgy guy in Colon who fixes those visa stamps, it's usually a guy from the Bureau of Immigration itself or someone who is very well connected and will bring it to one of them. I've heard of cases where the fake(?) immigration stamps can be had at Manila Airport by a guy working there who accepts cash under the table. 

When it comes to copying the look of a genuine visa extension or exit stamp, the Philippine ones seem to be easy to replicate. They even write alot of stuff by hand while other countries always stamp something instead of writing.

When I mentioned Colon, it had nothing to do with paying a fixer. It's the place where a person can have a fake stamp made. The sale of fake stamps around Colon is fairly well known but I guess that went over your head. No big deal.

Also the days of a BI staffer taking bribes from a foreigner to fix an immigration problem are mostly over. I say mostly because there was a few recent cases of rich locals getting special treatment, but that's to be expected. The President has managed to turn around and clean up alot of the old bribe and fixer system. Nothing is perfect and there are cases of fixers and officials "helping" with problems. But that's not the norm.

Your statement (in another post) that overstaying foreigners should be one of the last things the Philippine government should worry about is an interesting one. That's your opinion, and you have a right to express it but I, for one, pay my extensions and fees. I present myself at BI and I follow the rules as handed down from the Philippine government. I am a guest in another country. Why should a foreigner who refuses to pay and thumbs his nose at the rules still be allowed entry into a country when he clearly is not interested in following the rules?

Personally I think the Philippine government is being too soft. They should increase the penalties for overstaying foreigners. Overstay once and do not get a visa extension then the next time that person wants entry into the Philippines they should have to post a 25000php immigration bond or be denied entry. Start to crack down and people will get the message fast, and if not they are free to go somewhere else. Simple.

At the very least next visit after an overstay they should be required to wear 24-7 the filthy rental pants offered outside BI offices with "I LOVE HOT LOLA" written all over it.

• Like 2
Peter C

Why should a foreigner who refuses to pay and thumbs his nose at the rules still be allowed entry into a country when he clearly is not interested in following the rules?

I agree with you, but for some arrogance is the lifestyle and they are proud about their negligence.

Headshot

I agree with you, but for some arrogance is the lifestyle and they are proud about their negligence.

Then they should not be surprised when things don't go well after they are caught by Immigration.