Overstay question on 21 day tourist visa

I left my passport with the travel agent at the Mercedes Hotel Monday morning, They opened little before 10 am and do visa processing. Cost was P3030 for the visa and P1000 for their service. Took a taxi to the north bus terminal, caught a bus at 10:45 and then the 2:30 boat to Santa Fe, Bantayan. Life is good here.

Heard there is a similar visa processing service from Santa Fe town in Bantayan. Unconfirmed.

Hope to see my passport when I return to Cebu next week.

Thanks for the comments

Buko Beach

I left my passport with the travel agent at the Mercedes Hotel Monday morning, They opened little before 10 am and do visa processing. Cost was P3030 for the visa and P1000 for their service. Took a taxi to the north bus terminal, caught a bus at 10:45 and then the 2:30 boat to Santa Fe, Bantayan. Life is good here.

Heard there is a similar visa processing service from Santa Fe town in Bantayan. Unconfirmed.

Thanks for the comments

Most (if not all) hotels in the Philippines require you to show your passport upon checkin. I would not stray too far without it. You might be able to get away with a photocopy but YMMV.

Personally I would have gone to BI monday morning in person and it would have taken a few hours max. Everything would have been finished by noon and you would be on your way a few hours later but you would have your passport with you and saved yourself 1000p minus the hotel booking worries

Jim Sibbick

Most (if not all) hotels in the Philippines require you to show your passport upon checkin. I would not stray too far without it. You might be able to get away with a photocopy but YMMV.

Personally I would have gone to BI monday morning in person and it would have taken a few hours max. Everything would have been finished by noon and you would be on your way a few hours later but you would have your passport with you and saved yourself 1000p minus the hotel booking worries

So, are you saying that all Filipinos must carry a passport with them when they travel within the Philippines because a passport is a requirement for checking into a hotel?

I don't carry a passport in the Philippines, It is not a requirement. The only thing a foreigner has to carry is their ACR-I card.

I don't show ID at a hotel either. I just fill out the registration card and pay cash in advance if required.

• Like 1
BossHog

Most (if not all) hotels in the Philippines require you to show your passport upon checkin

I don't question your experience, but I don't recall a passport EVER being asked for.

I leave my passport in a safe at home when we travel around the country.

Buko Beach

You both have local ID cards, because you are both local citizens. When you check into a hotel you must show ID, unless you book into a SOGO on a three hour afternoon delight.

My advice was geared towards the OP, who last time I checked was a visitor. Read the thread heading.

So tell me again how my advice is not correct?

BossHog

You both have local ID cards

Nope, don't have any local ID cards (nor any IDs except my passprt from my home country for that matter) and have never been asked to produce an ID or passport at a hotel to the best of my recollection.

This includes pension houses, mid-range accommodation, beach resorts, and even the Manila Hotel.

Or, if asked, I might have said it's at home or the embassy and they let it go at that.

Actually I usually make my wife deal with check-in paperwork while I make a beeline for the hotel bar.

Again, we all have different experiences and they're good to share.

This is getting off-topic but might be worth a topic on its own.

Edited by BossHog
Buko Beach

Nope, don't have any local ID cards and have never been asked to produce one at a hotel.

This includes pension houses, mid-range accommodation, beach resorts, and even the Manila Hotel.

Well that explains things...

-Crown Regency Fuente

-Ayala Marriot

-Radisson Blu Cebu

-Marco Polo Luhug

-Marco Polo Davao

-Crown Regency V. Rama

-Alegre Resort

-Shangri-La Mactan

-Hyatt Hotel Malate

-Pan Pacific

-Summilion Blue Water

-New World Makati

-Quest Hotel Cebu

-Parklane Cebu

-Waterfront Luhug

-Waterfront Mactan

-L Fisher Hotel

-L Fisher Chalet

-Elizabeth Hotel

-Montebello

-El Nido Lagen Island

-Crown Regency Davao

-Crown Regency Makati

-Crimson Resort Mactan

And on and on...

I have stayed in every one of the hotels I mentioned and they all require ID when checking in. I do not hold an ACR card so as a foreign national they request my passport. Prehaps booking and staying at a pension house does not require a passport, but I'm pretty sure they do require some kind of ID unless you pay cash when checking in. I dunno I'm guessing on that because I have never stayed at a pension in the Philippines. I am the polar opposite of whippy lol.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

It seems they are trying to push for hotels to start asking for ID though. I'm being asked everywhere I check in. And this sign is new:

Passport is certainly not required to travel around the Philippines but certainly one needs to travel with a valid ID of some sort. Also, why anyone would waste their time while on vacation going to immigration when they can have a travel agent do it for them is beyond me. Especially where some offices take hours before giving your passport back to you with the visa. Add in round trip taxi fare and the overall inconvenience, why bother?

post-2454-0-23344600-1365227862_thumb.jpg

BossHog

they do require some kind of ID unless you pay cash when checking in.

I always pay when checking in and leave a deposit for food and beverages. Perhaps this accounts for the difference in our experiences.

I've never had a credit card in my life.

SkyMan

I won't be in MNL long enough on arrival to get an extension, is there an office in Tagbilaran?  And what is the purpose of this fee for I would think the longer a tourist would stay the more $$$ they spend.  Seems like the 21 day should be 60 days standard as that would most likely separate tourists from those staying for other reasons.  Encourage tourism rather than add a hoop for you to jump through for a month vacation.  Just my opinion.

Well, you can purchase a 59-day visa from the RP Embassy in your country before you arrive and this can be done by mail.  It saves some money and a day at the BI if you do this.

Thelandofku-an

Thanks for the comments

Hahaha, we stayed at the Mercedes donkeys years ago cos it was the best after Cebu Plaza (now Marco Polo), they had just repainted the rooms and dyed the carpets to conceal fading or paint spills?

Holy crap; everywhere we went we left red footprints not only on our white bedsheets but in Gaisano metro, Main and White Gold...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems all went well with the travel agent. Charged P3030 plus P1000 for their fee total P4030. This was for the first extension from 21 days to 59 days.

Next time I will get a visa before arriving as recommend above.

Thanks all.