Overstay question on 21 day tourist visa

I have a question about getting an extension vs paying a penalty when leaving the country.

Usually I am able to get an extension to 59 days upon arrival (usually in MNL) however this time arriving Clark at 11 pm if there is an office there it was closed. The holy week closings complicated getting an extension while in cebu city. My 21 day tourist visa expires April 6 so there is plenty of time but would like to leave cebu city Sunday rather than wait around to do the extension on Monday. I will leave Phills on April 19 or maybe a week later, undecided at the moment. This would put me at 13 to 20 days over the 21 day limit.

The question is what will happen if I go to airport on overstay when I leave out of Clark. Will it just be a matter of paying 3000 peso or so. Will there be any problem flying Cebu to Clark with an expired tourist visa. Any other issues to consider.

I will likely get the visa extended but would like to know what the alternative is as it saves me 2 days to travel outside Cebu city.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Lorenz
Brucewayne

You only need a visa when exiting the country and as far as the overstaying and paying at the airport goes, I wouldn't chance it.

It can be a bit more costly than going in the BI and settling there and if they want, the BI officials in the airport can (at their digression) take you into the BI from the airport, causing you to possibly miss your flight.

Normally they won't, but it depends on their take on things and your attitude at the time.

Just hope the guy isn't already mad, hungry, tired or otherwise grouchy if you do decide to pay at your point of exit.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

You can pay for an small overstay at the MNL airport without problem. I do not know about Clark. They will charge you the cost of visa extension plus fine.

Where are you going after Cebu, is there no extension office where your going?

Edited by Monsoon
SkyMan

I would take care of it at the BI myself.  I want things to go as smoothly as possible at the airport.

• Like 3
Headshot

When are you leaving Cebu, and where will you be staying for the remainder of your stay? If there is no BI where you are going, then I would consider staying in Cebu City until Monday. Then you can get your extension at BI and then go wherever you wish. Since you are on a relaxed schedule anyway, that shouldn't cause you too much hardship. It would certainly be cheaper than flying back to Cebu for an extension or getting held up at the airport when you are trying to leave.

rainymike

Not sure if ancienrocka (Paul W) is still doing it, but he used to handle extensions for other expats. He did mine for me when I was in Cebu and did it for a while when I moved to Davao. A very nice and up standing guy. I trusted him enough to send him my passport and money from Davao. His fees were very reasonable. 

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 2

I will be going to Bantayan. I assume no visa extension there but I do not know. Thanks for all the useful info, most helpful.

Headshot

I will be going to Bantayan. I assume no visa extension there but I do not know. Thanks for all the useful info, most helpful.

You are correct. I would suggest you either take care of it on Monday before you go to Bantayan or ask an admin to give your email information to Ancienrocka, so you can arrange to have him do it for you while you're on Bantayan. In any event, I wouldn't let it go until the airport when you are scheduled to fly out...unless you like nasty surprises.

• Like 2
samatm

What time is your flight?    if possible just swing by BI and get er done on your way.  Budget an hour.

CardiacKid

You are correct. I would suggest you either take care of it on Monday before you go to Bantayan or ask an admin to give your email information to Ancienrocka, so you can arrange to have him do it for you while you're on Bantayan. In any event, I wouldn't let it go until the airport when you are scheduled to fly out...unless you like nasty surprises.

Best answer. DO NOT go the airport as an overstayer and risk not only your money but missing your flight as well. 

Jim Sibbick

You are supposed to pay the fines plus the missed extension. What will happen in reality will vary a lot.

I won't be in MNL long enough on arrival to get an extension, is there an office in Tagbilaran?  And what is the purpose of this fee for I would think the longer a tourist would stay the more $$$ they spend.  Seems like the 21 day should be 60 days standard as that would most likely separate tourists from those staying for other reasons.  Encourage tourism rather than add a hoop for you to jump through for a month vacation.  Just my opinion.

Thelandofku-an

I won't be in MNL long enough on arrival to get an extension, is there an office in Tagbilaran?  And what is the purpose of this fee for I would think the longer a tourist would stay the more $$$ they spend.  Seems like the 21 day should be 60 days standard as that would most likely separate tourists from those staying for other reasons.  Encourage tourism rather than add a hoop for you to jump through for a month vacation.  Just my opinion.

Again: Welcome to the Third World, your reasoning though admirable doesn't apply here, most government offices have a unique and sometimes unfathomable logic that may even create jobs?

Just smile, look at what pleases your eyes and be at peace with the world!

• Like 2
Headshot

Depending on the day of the week and the time of day you arrive, it might be possible for you to get a visa extension at the airport in Manila as you go through Immigration. When you go through the Immigration booth, tell them you would like to get a visa extension at that time, and ask them to direct you to the in-airport Immigation office where they can handle that for you. Then, provided the office is open when you arrive, you can get the extension right then and not have to worry about it later. The initial entry stamp plus the extension will give you a total of 59 days in-country. You will need cash to pay for the extension (in pesos) so be sure to change a little money to pesos before you arrive in Manila (probably in the airport you fly out of to fly to Manila).

udonthani

the last time I entered the Philippines was just after midnight and I asked them at NAIA - because I had planned it so the days were close to the wire i.e. 21+38 days and then 2 months' extension and I was a little concerned that maybe I might end up having to get a whole two months extension for only one day or two days' stay in the Philippines later on - if they had changed the stamp to show that it was now the 26th and not the 25th it had previously been half an hour before, prior to midnight.

the immigration guy said, yes sir he had changed the stamp. Welcome to the Philippines.

Edited by udonthani