Does the US Consulate in Cebu provide notary service?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

we went to the consulate to get whatever it was we needed .. my wife remembers this stuff better .. went to the window ..told them what we needed.. had a bag full of printed out emails pictures  and all that proof of relationship stuff .. never asked to see any of that did ask how we met though took a few minutes giving the basic story ..  could of saved a lot of energy carrying it around .. anyway took the important stuff told us to wait over there called us back up after a little while gave us what we were there for and sent us on our way.. they were super nice and very helpful

so was the church .. church even got the waiting period cut down told us they could get rid of it basically if we wanted .. but we were putting together a church wedding so no need or real ability to do it in a shorter time that we did really .

maybe cause we were similar age maybe cause they knew we knew each other forever maybe cause it was both our first marriage .. or maybe we were just catching people on good days .. but for the most part most everyone bent over backwards for us to be honest

• Like 1
CebuKano

Yeah, too good my friend :) thanks for sharing this because I'm going through a similar situation now, finally marrying my soulmate for the past 11 years or so. Our church has been very cool regarding our schedule also. We have both been very busy with our careers and now we have finally decided to make things legal. Neither of us has ever really had a desire to move to (or back to) the US. We might visit again some day.

Good luck with the new house :)

• Admin (Retired)
broden

if you are catholic .. and go to church yourself .. one thing that did help us smooth things with the church over there when there was about to be a little hiccup .. was a letter from  my parish priest saying he thought i was ready for marriage 

the church over there was saying we might have to take some extra step .. again i forget the particulars .. but then i showed them that and asked if that would help .. it was like doors opened and the clouds parted .. they were like oh ok cool .. no problem what so ever

• Like 1
CebuKano

if you are catholic .. and go to church yourself .. one thing that did help us smooth things with the church over there when there was about to be a little hiccup .. was a letter from  my parish priest saying he thought i was ready for marriage 

the church over there was saying we might have to take some extra step .. again i forget the particulars .. but then i showed them that and asked if that would help .. it was like doors opened and the clouds parted .. they were like oh ok cool .. no problem what so ever

Very cool. I will PM the details of our experience. So far it's been good.

• Like 1
Brucewayne

i never went to the consulate to get anything notarized .. we got married over there and she came to the states on a spousal .. i had to get things notarized over here in the states .. and we did get things notarized over there but we just went to some local lawyer who had a street stand set up .. in fact he was basically blind and had 2 helpers putting the papers in front of him and directing him

Are you sure the stand wasn't one of those traffic enforcement booths?

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Are you sure the stand wasn't one of those traffic enforcement booths?

:lol: could be

SkyMan

This is true. But anyone who would take a non-US document to the consolate to be notarized for $50 needs their head examined :D

Local notary is much cheaper.

But a non-US notary is not acceptable to the IRS.  And I have a feeling that since it's almost April, someone is trying to get their spouse an ITIN so they can claim her on their taxes.

Edited by SkyMan
SkyMan

Yup, I got charged $200 bucks for four signatures. And they didn't do it right. I needed them to sign ON the form itself, not their official letterhead attached by a cute little gold ring used as a fancy staple.

Ridiculous.

It's called an apostille and it's the only way they do it there.  It counts as a notary but makes it more difficult to mail.

Edited by SkyMan
Brucewayne

:lol: could be

You did say he was nearly blind.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

You did say he was nearly blind.

just nearly not totally

Brucewayne

just nearly not totally

Oh, then he couldn't have been a Traffic Enforcer, maybe a trainee?

Jack_be_nimble

It's called an apostille and it's the only way they do it there.  It counts as a notary but makes it more difficult to mail.

So, it should be recognized as legitimate by US title co's, deed transfers, banks, etc?  I would think so, but my title co in Florida balked about it. Strange.

SkyMan

That's what I used for POA when I sold my house.