Business Suggestions

SkyMan

Alright. First, maybe "profitable" wasn't the best term to use. And second, I'm not a Westerner who wants to come to the Philippines just to start a business. Because Philippines is where I came from and I lived there for 23 years, lol.

I just want a small business that my family in Leyte can live on. I'm not dreaming for one that will expand into an empire (lol i wish), just something that will help them pay bills, and afford to eat a decent meal 3x/day without me having to send them money.

Since this is for your family, what do they know?  Is any of them a welder?  Mechanic?  IT trained?  Any of them have any business sense?  You'd be surprised (maybe) how many here don't have enough business sense to run a sarix2.  Just having a DL isn't enough to drive a jeep.  Etc.

• Like 3
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lauie

• Thelandofku-an

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is one, all ready to buy. Click Here   He thought he could come here and make a fortune, ending up losing what he had, and now has to return home to Australia. He has, quite literally, ended up

Hi Lauie,     My wife is from Leyte too and she bought her family a used Japanese surplus Isuzu 10 wheeler truck last year for hauling sugar cane from the fields in the mountains to the staging are

The expats who are successful here are VERY secretive about what they do and how they do it. Most of them export goods to the west, be it high end or cheap. They work their ASSES off and stay under th

Given that this thread is about you seeking your families economic independence from you through a business suggestion it is highly relevant!

I thought the purpose of her education was to support her parents, there's more probability of that through dentistry isn't there?

When she becomes an adult she'll learn that many people have to do what they dislike in order to fulfil responsbilities!

My nurses have to do public service to get their license, many endure physical hardship at this time, others can't get public service without some inside help!

Personally I would have taken whatever course my scholarship paid for, in fact I did!

I apologise if you consider my comment uncalled for, I would have thought you understood it's just figurative; FYI it means be more assertive over your business plan with her, or is she not a part of it?

Although I made it clear that I want my family to be self sufficient, nowhere did I mention that I'm counting on my younger sister to support my parents. In fact, I wouldn't want her to but it will be up to her if it's something she will someday want to do. I mean, if I don't like the idea of giving my parents money for who knows until when, why would I want my sister to do it?

My sister is 18, so she's technically now an adult although you might argue that adulthood is a matter of mental maturity. Like I said she's going to be a sophie come June. I asked her if she has thought about switching to any other course at all, her response was that she likes nursing school. As for her chances of getting a job as a nurse once she graduates, she will more likely be looking for work in the US if I petition my parents in a year or 2, and then they later petition her. If she stays in the Philippines for any reason, I guess her best option will be to go to medical school.

If it's true that you said the other comment figuratively, then apology accepted. And sorry for overreacting.

Depending on the location I would look at getting some washing machines and rigging them up to solar powered hot water so they get a proper wash.

make the solar collectors from old car radiators painted black under glass.

I actually considered the laundry shop business too, but the solar powered hot water never crossed my mind.

As for her chances of getting a job as a nurse once she graduates, she will more likely be looking for work in the US if I petition my parents in a year or 2, and then they later petition her.

I would check the timeline on that, from what I understand even if you petitioned them a decade ago they'd still be waiting on visa's for a few more years.   You can petition her directly though afaik, I know my old boss petitioned his entire family including brothers.  That was in 2002 and when I left last year they still didn't have visa's, but that was from Jordan maybe different for Phil.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5900.html

Looks like your sister would have a loooooong wait.  About 25 years for a visa if I'm reading that right, but again not an expert on immigration law.

Edited by Dolsos
shadow

You can petition her directly though afaik, I know my old boss petitioned his entire family including brothers.  That was in 2002 and when I left last year they still didn't have visa's, but that was from Jordan maybe different for Phil.

Yup, it's different. Processing times for Philippines are the longest of any country.

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

Although I made it clear that I want my family to be self sufficient, nowhere did I mention that I'm counting on my younger sister to support my parents. In fact, I wouldn't want her to but it will be up to her if it's something she will someday want to do. I mean, if I don't like the idea of giving my parents money for who knows until when, why would I want my sister to do it?

My sister is 18, so she's technically now an adult although you might argue that adulthood is a matter of mental maturity. Like I said she's going to be a sophie come June. I asked her if she has thought about switching to any other course at all, her response was that she likes nursing school. As for her chances of getting a job as a nurse once she graduates, she will more likely be looking for work in the US if I petition my parents in a year or 2, and then they later petition her. If she stays in the Philippines for any reason, I guess her best option will be to go to medical school.

If it's true that you said the other comment figuratively, then apology accepted. And sorry for overreacting.

Apology accepted, we are constructively trying to help you find a solution, to what you have said about your parents financial  independence, of course you won't like all of our suggestions, we have hardly started on humorous suggestions either!

Medical school would be a better alternative, your sis will be drawing a pension by the time your parents can petition her it seems?

You didn't say exactly why your sis prefers nursing, it could be that she doesn't want to burden you with the extra cost and duration of medical school which would be 6 years for Dentistry I think?

I teach Nurses and Teachers plus a few engineers how to pass English exams for the purpose of securing work abroad, although my academy has a 97% pass rate few people actually "make it" to another country simply because there are too many applying for too few jobs!

Your sis would need some serious help just to do her volunteer work, my nurses often complain that they are expected to provide some financial consideration or "favor" in exchange for the opportunity to do the volunteer work necessary to become a licensed nurse.

Your sis probably doesn't live in an English speaking environment and would be challenged by this exam.

Dentistry would give her the chance of setting up a home practice, as is common here. With her own practice established she could probably visit the US and secure employment as a dental assistant rather than depend upon a sponsor or petitioner?

tomaw

Depending on the location I would look at getting some washing machines and rigging them up to solar powered hot water so they get a proper wash.

make the solar collectors from old car radiators painted black under glass.

Sounds like a very clever idea. Maybe experiment with one radiator and see how it goes. Do you have an alternate way to heat the water? You will need it if you plan on being open at night. My only other concern would be maintence costs. Your ok while the machines are new but eventually the repair of just one machine could seriously tear into your profit. Edited by tomaw
mikejwoodnz

Sounds like a very clever idea. Maybe experiment with one radiator and see how it goes. Do you have an alternate way to heat the water? You will need it if you plan on being open at night. My only other concern would be maintence costs. Your ok while the machines are new but eventually the repair of just one machine could seriously tear into your profit.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to use washing powder designed for cold water and cheaper to employ hand washers ? 

• Like 4
fred42

Sounds like a very clever idea. Maybe experiment with one radiator and see how it goes. Do you have an alternate way to heat the water? You will need it if you plan on being open at night. My only other concern would be maintence costs. Your ok while the machines are new but eventually the repair of just one machine could seriously tear into your profit.

We have bought a couple of washing machines and they both came with 5 year warranties... Both are LG and bought at Abensons.

udonthani

Mostly, when one starts talking about starting a business in PI, one of the first ideas that come to mind is internet cafe.

maybe in about 2005. But not now. Prices have nosedived. Places in Cebu city that were getting 30 pesos an hour back then have to accept only 10 or 15. A lot have closed down. Even in the province, the only way anywhere can possibly turn a profit is to have a almost totally unsupervised coin operated type set up.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Mostly, when one starts talking about starting a business in PI, one of the first ideas that come to mind is internet cafe.

maybe in about 2005. But not now. Prices have nosedived. Places in Cebu city that were getting 30 pesos an hour back then have to accept only 10 or 15. A lot have closed down. Even in the province, the only way anywhere can possibly turn a profit is to have a almost totally unsupervised coin operated type set up.

Even then it can be marginal.  With the cost of electricity and repairs.  You have to do more then internet cafe.  You have to be into printing and that is where the money is now at for internet cafes. Everyone has a camera phone and wants the pictures printed.  Encoding is also big money for people near schools and colleges.  

Thelandofku-an

The OP is in Leyte, maybe they can heat the water with geothermal energy, have to do something about the sulphur smell though!

:wheel:

Thelandofku-an

Alternate ways to heat water, throw a 100 metre coil of the cheap black 3/4 alkathene water pipe on your roof and plumb it into your hot feed.

I buried mine in the concrete driveway by tying it to the re-bar before pouring.

Overnight hot water could be obtained by having a large enough insulated storage tank heated by a radiator plumbed into a vented and primed loop heated by aforementioned method!

• Like 1