Business Suggestions

Mostly, when one starts talking about starting a business in PI, one of the first ideas that come to mind is internet cafe. But other than that, what small business would you suggest/want/wish to do in the Philippines? Why do you think it is/would be profitable? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lauie

• Thelandofku-an

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is one, all ready to buy. Click Here   He thought he could come here and make a fortune, ending up losing what he had, and now has to return home to Australia. He has, quite literally, ended up

Hi Lauie,     My wife is from Leyte too and she bought her family a used Japanese surplus Isuzu 10 wheeler truck last year for hauling sugar cane from the fields in the mountains to the staging are

The expats who are successful here are VERY secretive about what they do and how they do it. Most of them export goods to the west, be it high end or cheap. They work their ASSES off and stay under th

Paul

Here is one, all ready to buy. Click Here

He thought he could come here and make a fortune, ending up losing what he had, and now has to return home to Australia. He has, quite literally, ended up depressed, having little money, and it is (a sad reality) causing the poor man to slowly lose his mind.

Do not consider coming to Southeast Asia, thinking you can start a business that will be profitable.

That is my honest advice and opinion.

• Like 9
CardiacKid

Mostly, when one starts talking about starting a business in PI, one of the first ideas that come to mind is internet cafe. But other than that, what small business would you suggest/want/wish to do in the Philippines? Why do you think it is/would be profitable? 

As Paul said, do not come here thinking you will be successful in business. The playing field is not level and if you attract the attention of the wrong people it could cost you more than you dreamed possible. The old adage of "how to make a small fortune here is to start with a large one" holds true. Any business you start that could be in competition with locals will only bring you grief. It is a bad idea for many, many reasons.

• Like 4
JohnD

The majority of start-up businesses fail no matter where they are at. I would avoid the internet cafe but here are some ideas to consider:

1) Supply & Demand: What does your location need that it does not have. 

2) Cost: Can you buy something cheaper and sell it your less then others are.

3) White Collar: Take something that is normally a dirty experience and make it a higher end feel. I knew a guy in the US who did this with car body shops. I did it with concrete.

4) Service: No matter what you do service is key. There are many businesses in PH that have poor service.

5) Internet Based: If you can find the right business the Philippines is good for this.

6) Franchise: There are some decent and fair priced franchises which can work if they have a good name and you have a good location.

I understand what Paul said above and many an expat has burned through their savings thinking they will get rich here. That does not mean you cannot create a solid business. Good Luck!

Edited by JohnD

Alright. First, maybe "profitable" wasn't the best term to use. And second, I'm not a Westerner who wants to come to the Philippines just to start a business. Because Philippines is where I came from and I lived there for 23 years, lol.

I just want a small business that my family in Leyte can live on. I'm not dreaming for one that will expand into an empire (lol i wish), just something that will help them pay bills, and afford to eat a decent meal 3x/day without me having to send them money.

• Like 2
Mandingo

Hi Lauie,

My wife is from Leyte too and she bought her family a used Japanese surplus Isuzu 10 wheeler truck last year for hauling sugar cane from the fields in the mountains to the staging area prior to hauling it to the plant for processing. My wife's family has grown/worked sugar cane forever and a couple of her brothers owned a WW2 surplus truck before too so they had some hands on experience on that end of it.

With repairs, preventative maintenance, fuel cost and taxes her family will never get rich on one truck but so far she have not had to put money back into the business as they have been self-sufficient, they even have saved a little money for an additional truck purchase in the future. Only time will tell what happens, maybe they make it or maybe they don't but so far so good.

Edited by Mandingo
  • Like 7
mactanfamily

The expats who are successful here are VERY secretive about what they do and how they do it. Most of them export goods to the west, be it high end or cheap. They work their ASSES off and stay under the radar. All of them also have significant others who are either very connected or very smart.

Start with those rules and I bet you will do well. Question is, do you really want to work that hard? if you have any delusion that you are going to set something small up and then let it run it self to make just enough for living money, then you are just that....delusional.

• Like 7

The expats who are successful here are VERY secretive about what they do and how they do it. Most of them export goods to the west, be it high end or cheap. They work their ASSES off and stay under the radar. All of them also have significant others who are either very connected or very smart.

Start with those rules and I bet you will do well. Question is, do you really want to work that hard? if you have any delusion that you are going to set something small up and then let it run it self to make just enough for living money, then you are just that....delusional.

Like I said, the business is not for me but for my family. I'm not gonna live there whether permanently or for a short term to "work hard" for it, it's not worth being away from my husband and building my own family here in the US. I'll leave the job to the ones who will benefit from it: my parents. After all, that's what my main goal is, that they learn to work hard for what they need, and not ask from me.

Davaoeno

Here is one, all ready to buy. Click Here

He thought he could come here and make a fortune, ending up losing what he had, and now has to return home to Australia. He has, quite literally, ended up depressed, having little money, and it is (a sad reality) causing the poor man to slowly lose his mind.

Do not consider coming to Southeast Asia, thinking you can start a business that will be profitable.

That is my honest advice and opinion.

oh sure - post a link to a thread i am banned from !!!   :db:

• Like 1
shadow

You need to take a good long look at your family. What are their capabilities? What special talents do they or at least one strong family member have? Do they have good work ethic, or will they sit around until it fails? Buy into their talents.

When I married my wife 10 years ago I told her I would not (and could not) support her family. Her Father was an out of work welder. Knowing I would want a welder anyway, I bought one (P5000) and told him it would remain mine, but he had full use of it. That welder supported ALL of us for years, and now sits 12 feet away from me, still being used on occasion by her family and me. It has paid for itself a thousand times over.

You need to look into your families capabilities, and think from there.

• Like 7
Paul

oh sure - post a link to a thread i am banned from !!!   :db:

Cry baby. You have access now, since it won't need any replies anyway.

miles-high

Like I said, the business is not for me but for my family. I'm not gonna live there whether permanently or for a short term to "work hard" for it, it's not worth being away from my husband and building my own family here in the US. I'll leave the job to the ones who will benefit from it: my parents. After all, that's what my main goal is, that they learn to work hard for what they need, and not ask from me.

Since OP is after what Filipinos could do to make money, here’s my suggestion re “easy” way to do “something that will help them pay bills, and afford to eat a decent meal 3x/day without me having to send them money…”, based on my “personal” knowledge… :)

Refer to the attached list. Of those listed, there are 3 professions (1 is not in the list) you could make at least 7 figure annual income (in PHP) in the Philippines:

1. Lawyers: You need to go to one of 2 or 3 (depending on who you talking to ;)) top law schools and graduate with at least top 5 to 10% of his/her class, join one of the top 3 law firms. Must pass the bar exam at first try.

2. MD’s/Dentists: Same as above, you would need to graduate top 5 or 10% from one of the top med schools and being affiliated with one of the top 3 or 4 hospitals.

3. Airline pilots (particularly of LCC’s): you would need to get the best training ($$$$$).

>>>> Now, you search your family members who are around 10yo to probably up to 15yo to see who got the aptitude, IQ, language sills, strength, personality, (successful) looks ;) etc., etc. to make it all the way to the grad schools... to the top of the hill...

Then, you invest in him/her/them, give them the best education you could buy ($$$$$)... It may take 15 to 20 years to see the results of your investments but you are investing in education, young people’s future, and I assure you it would be one of the most rewarding investment/experience of your life…

:coffee:

Neglist.pdf

Since OP is after what Filipinos could do to make money, here’s my suggestion re “easy” way to do “something that will help them pay bills, and afford to eat a decent meal 3x/day without me having to send them money…”, based on my “personal” knowledge… :)

Refer to the attached list. Of those listed, there are 3 professions (1 is not in the list) you could make at least 7 figure annual income (in PHP) in the Philippines:

1. Lawyers: You need to go to one of 2 or 3 (depending on who you talking to ;)) top law schools and graduate with at least top 5 to 10% of his/her class, join one of the top 3 law firms. Must pass the bar exam at first try.

2. MD’s/Dentists: Same as above, you would need to graduate top 5 or 10% from one of the top med schools and being affiliated with one of the top 3 or 4 hospitals.

3. Airline pilots (particularly of LCC’s): you would need to get the best training ($$$$$).

>>>> Now, you search your family members who are around 10yo to probably up to 15yo to see who got the aptitude, IQ, language sills, strength, personality, (successful) looks ;) etc., etc. to make it all the way to the grad schools... to the top of the hill...

Then, you invest in him/her/them, give them the best education you could buy ($$$$$)... It may take 15 to 20 years to see the results of your investments but you are investing in education, young people’s future, and I assure you it would be one of the most rewarding investment/experience of your life…

:coffee:

attachicon.gifNeglist.pdf

My sister is in nursing school. I tried to get her to take dentistry but she wouldn't do it. I don't have other sibling in the Philippines. The idea of sending my parents to school for those kind of courses you mentioned just so they can stop relying on me just won't work, and will be the last option I'll choose to be honest.

jtmwatchbiz

hi,

while your intentions are admirable, with the tone of your postings it seems you don't have the highest expectations of your parent's ability and willingness to work hard at a business you fund. perhaps rather than loose a few big chunks on various attempted business start-ups, and considering how little it costs for people to survive here, it may be easier to simply resign yourself to sending the inevitable couple hundred dollars a month and get it over with.  

• Like 5
USMC-Retired

what is it that you want the business to do besides just mske a profit.  What is acceptable amount of monsy to earn?  What is the skill set of the people involved?  You can make money many do and more fail.  Yet what factors caused the failure?  Tony runs ceasers in Toledo very profitable and Phil ran wombats womb and failed.  It comes down to skill set and knowing your market.  Personally on line non-store front places have less risk and overhead.  Competition is tough for this.  Sari-sari is profitable till someone eats and drinks the profits.  Resturants take a skill set and market to support. So what is this suppose to do extra income or support.  I had a wonderful idea for a business that woul be profitable.  PM I will share it is low overhead and would make money.  It is also very needed in this country.  This gors for anyone interested in a new business venture.  I did cost risk and figure it would make between 30-40k a month.  I have two kids so its just not possible. 

Edited by USMC-Retired