spritsail

Backpackers invade Camiguin Island

Kabisay-an gid

thanks that works 

but i hope this is round trip couse 900 1 way is way to much 

Cagayan de Oro
  • DestinationViaOpen AirTourist ClassBusiness Class
  • Camiguin900.00900.001000.00

It's one way. Oceanjet has a monopoly on the route for fast craft, so you're not going to get a good price.

Whether you book in advance or at the port, always ask if they have a "promo" (promotional) price for the trip you're interested in. They don't offer them on all trips, but if they do have one on the trip you're interested in, you'll usually save a significant amount of money. So it doesn't hurt to ask.

Kabisay-an gid

One way. But I'm pretty sure it's from CDO city, not Baligoan.

KonGC

Macabalan Port CDO to Benoni Port Camiguin.

udonthani

if it is 900 one way, that is way too much. That is almost three times what 2 people would pay going via Balingoan and more than double what one person would pay. Plus on those kind of faster ferries, you have to get down there an hour before they leave, whereas at Balingoan you can turn up at the last minute and get on it a couple of minutes before they go. But even if you arrive at Balingoan just after a ferry has left and have to wait a while, it's not as if it is this big hardship. In fact it can be quite fun there. The buses are comfortable and nippy and the Balingoan ferry terminal is not a bad place to hang out waiting for a ferry. For a small town, there are quite a lot of amenities at the terminal.

KennyF

I've done it both ways several times and I'd take the Ocean Jet any time.

Sure it's an extra, lets say, 500 pesos but what the hell, that's $12.50 where I come from (not even one packet of 20 Marlboro).

If one is on a budget either money or time, or likes to wander around seeing stuff, fair enough, OK, go the Baligoan route.

But to get from A to B, Ocean Cat every time.

To keep things in perspective, my taxi ride from where I live on the Gold Coast to the Gold Coast airport is $75 ( 3,000 pesos ).

KonGC

udonthani

900 for a one way fare is ridiculously too expensive, when the other way not only comes up at less price, but also can take not much more time. Whoever came up this pricing, if it really is 900 pesos one way. needs their head examining.

spritsail

Its 600 php for the ocean jet cagayan to Benoni ,and 600 php benoni to Jagna , Bohol. It was very overbooked during the summer , April and May, and was couple of hours off schedule. Not they have changed craft which is much faster and larger, and operating within schedule.

I had a guest who wanted to fly out. He checked the internet for Cebu Pac flight which was 3000 php for a flight departing 2 days later. Next day he went to CP office it was 4700 php. He bought the ticket for leaving 9 am next day.

later that evening he was seduced by one of the local ladies, who stayed with him the night. Although the habal habal driver tried to wake him, he remained in the arms of his new found love. Cost him 4700  as he missed the flight. He ended up getting the slow boat to Jagna from Balbagon the next day. His fifth day of attempting to get off the island.   Moral of the story, best to buy you CP ticket when you first see the price as it goes UP in price the longer you leave it.

KennyF

900 for a one way fare is ridiculously too expensive, when the other way not only comes up at less price, but also can take not much more time. Whoever came up this pricing, if it really is 900 pesos one way. needs their head examining.

Yes, I agree, they need their heads examined. A smart operator would put the fare up as it's almost always fully booked?

Dave's (spritsail) will confirm this, and the couple of times I've used it it has been full, not a single empty seat.

Further, it is 95% locals that use it with just a few expats.

When you sell out of product every day, day after day, week after week, do you drop your prices?

Any savvy businessman would 'make hay while the sun shines'.

Keep in mind that your average Filipino business man is not interested in building good will, only 'today'.

KonGC

Edited by KennyF

udonthani

fully booked? Not sure how big the vessel is, but the other fast craft it has replaced was never fully booked, not ever, not even once, no matter what time of the year it was, i.e. Christmas, Easter, Lanzones festival etc. Mind you that was a big boat with capacity for 350 pax and I don't know how big this one is. I wouldn't fall into a trap of getting it into your head that are a large number of people dying to get to islands like Camiguin, Siquijor and the Camotes because there just isn't. None of them are big tourist destinations or show much sign of ever becoming such, and you'd be a total idiot if you thought they were. 900 is a ridiculously high fare that I would not consider paying when I can get there an alternative and not inconvenient way not much slower for not much less than half that. 900 is ridiculous amount of money to pay for a two hour ride on what remains, despite it being better than the other one, a crappy boat. You can fly from Cebu in an airplane with Cebu Pacific for not much more than that.

udonthani

sorry edit 600 is not such a bad fare, that is a big difference from 900 however that is still more than what you would pay door-to-door if you went by Balingoan.

the price of the Cebu Pacific flights are moderate. I just checked for next week, 7 days from now

Base Fare
Class D
(CEB - CGM)

Adults & Children

(899.00 x1)

Infants

(0.00 x0)

Fare Discount

SUBTOTAL

Add-Ons
Travel Insurance

Web Admin Fee

Baggage Allowance

Baggage Protect

Hot Meals

Sports Equipment

WWF Donation

SMS Flight Reminder

Name Change

Airbus Die-Cast Plane

Comfort Kit

Seat Reservation

Go Lite Discount

Unaccompanied Minor

SUBTOTAL

Taxes & Fees

TOTAL PHP 1,501.88       1,500 is not bad at all.

KennyF

Whippy, just give it up.

Filipinos think it's OK and they make up the bulk of the business.

Occasional sex tourists like you are way below 1%, expats and tourists maybe 3% or 4% (if that).

It works for them so why not let them go about their business OK?

If they go broke in the next couple of years you would then maybe be in a position to give them advice on ferry charges.

Or to put in a form you may appreciate, they don't cast doubt on your ability to price your wares, so don't presume to 'educate' them.

KonGC

udonthani

I'm not the one that had to leave the island because of some shenanigans involving an underage girl 45 years plus younger than me - or so the rumor mill went. I wouldn't be so dumb as to mess about with the local women on an island like Camiguin - I always bring my own.

600 is not so bad, however when Paras increased the price from 400, to 550 in December 2010, that immeadiately made it less competitive. It made it suddenly much more expensive for two fares - 1100 for 2, as opposed to like the 600-650 it cost to get two people from CDO to Camiguin via Balingoan back then.

Occasional sex tourists are way below 1%, expats and tourists maybe 3% or 4% (if that).

KennyF

My goodness Crad, one minute we're quite sensibly debating transport prices and business strategy when out of the blue you start mud slinging?

Shame on you. I gave you more credit.

KonGC

udonthani

you're the one who is mud slinging. Just because somebody brings 8 girls to Camiguin in 5 years doesn't make them a sex tourist.

KennyF

you're the one who is mud slinging. Just because somebody brings 8 girls to Camiguin in 5 years doesn't make them a sex tourist.

Do you want to explain where I mentioned anything at all about you?

While you're at it please explain how I "slung mud" at you, because you've lost me.

KonGC

udonthani

While you're at it please explain how I "slung mud" at you, because you've lost me.

try this :

Occasional sex tourists like you.

when you live in a glass house buddy, better not throw stones.