Sign in to follow this  
spritsail

Backpackers invade Camiguin Island

no one

im about to take a trip to camiguin island as well 

sooner the better

any advice on a nice cheap place to stay 

not sure when exactly or for how long i will go there 

oh ye any one knows of any place for rent there near or on beach ???

thank you 

sadly wish i would have find this site long time a go 

lot of good info on here 

fred42

One thing I always wondered about that place.. They have a fantastic unlimited supply of fantastic natural good quality spring water.. Why dont they bottle it and distribute it throughout the R.P??? Just for starters?

Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

old biker

this is from a closed post i just wanted to reply, no offence ment boys.

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

can any one help to get some info about camiguin island i like to move there some time this year

so far i have no idea whats it like there and where are the party places and good beach to go to

also will have to find some reasonable house for rent not so far from beach

thank you

mate you will hate this place it is terrible, too many bloody roosters, dogs barking, people playing happy birthday songs at 0400 hrs, too hot, too much rain, no sand on beach, people calling out to you "hay joe you got one job for me"  (that would be my little daughter taking the piss out of tourists) it is a terrible place to visit so i think for a chap or chappi like yourself it is much more plesant for you to go elsewhere and leave all the horriible things mentioned above to old reprobates like me to enjoy our suffering in silence, no rubber neckers, no pricks trying to burst my bubble SFA Crime and friendly folk, yes it is a terrible place to kick back, no girly bars, no entertainment for the love lorn westerner, i would firmly suggest a more enlighting place to visit and leave us old bastards  to sit relax and watch life pass us by, i hope this has inspired you somewhat.

Edited by old biker

no one

thanks 

my bags are packed 

ready to go 

i had a fleeling it must be really bad place to go from the replys i got so make me a bed and make sure cold beer is ready 

see you all there soon :)

Kabisay-an gid

Even with new flights there it will never have a fastcraft from CDO or Cebu and even as it grows, it will not spoil, at least not for another couple of decades.

Oceanjet currently offers daily roundtrip fastcraft service from Macabalan Port (CDO) to Benoni Port (Camiguin). One-way travel time is about 2 hours.

udonthani

there's been a fast ferry from CDO to Benoni for years however intermittent.

I wouldn't get that direct fast craft from CDO to Benoni anymore. It is too erratic and you never know whether it is actually going to sail on the particular morning you wake up in CDO, with the intention of getting to Camiguin. What can happen is if you get your ass down to the CDO port at 7.30am and they say sorry sir, we are not sailing today. You might as well just get a taxi to Agora bus terminal and then a nice aircon bus to Balingoan and then the ferry. It doesn't take all that much longer, in time. And with two people, a taxi, bus and normal ferry costs a lot less. In fact even a car taxi all the way to Balingoan and tnen a ferry to Benoni would not cost much more than the fast craft would. Maybe you'll get there about 2 hours later than you would have done, with the fast craft, than using a bus and 'normal' ferry. The fast craft is just too expensive, and not worth the extra money in my view. They seem to keep changing the prices. But main thing is, regardless of the prices, you just can't rely on it. They cancel too often.

Kabisay-an gid

there's been a fast ferry from CDO to Benoni for years however intermittent.

I wouldn't get that direct fast craft from CDO to Benoni anymore. It is too erratic and you never know whether it is actually going to sail on the particular morning you wake up in CDO, with the intention of getting to Camiguin. What can happen is if you get your ass down to the CDO port at 7.30am and they say sorry sir, we are not sailing today. You might as well just get a taxi to Agora bus terminal and then a nice aircon bus to Balingoan and then the ferry. It doesn't take all that much longer, in time. And with two people, a taxi, bus and normal ferry costs a lot less. In fact even a car taxi all the way to Balingoan and tnen a ferry to Benoni would not cost much more than the fast craft would. Maybe you'll get there about 2 hours later than you would have done, with the fast craft, than using a bus and 'normal' ferry. The fast craft is just too expensive, and not worth the extra money in my view. They seem to keep changing the prices. But main thing is, regardless of the prices, you just can't rely on it. They cancel too often.

You're thinking of the old Paras Sea Cat fast craft, which was indeed intermittent and unreliable. That's why they were forced to suspend service back in 2011.

However, Oceanjet now services the route from CDO to Camiguin. They offer daily roundtrip transportation between CDO and Camiguin, and are quite reliable. Usually the only days they don't run are when typhoon and tropical storm warnings have been issued.

• Like 1

udonthani

no I didn't know that even though I was on Camiguin as recently as February. The old Paras boat I took was not too bad, was 400 in December 2010 - good, really. But then they upped it to 550 the next month and I heard again they upped the price even more than that.

you can wake up in CDO any day of the week and it is not so hard to get to Camiguin by Balingoan. Taxi to Agora, 60. Bus maybe 100 or 150. Ferry maybe 180 now. Total cost for 2, 520 or 620. You will be there not long after noon, with an early start. And it is not so bad, if you have to wait for a ferry at the terminal. With it being the Philippines and everything, you can have a bit of a laugh with the people there, while you have a meal while you wait.

so do you know how much do Ocean Jet charge per person? And can you get a bike on it. Ocean Jet ferry from Siquijor to Tagbilaran, I didn't take it but I asked, and they said yes you could get a bike on it.

KennyF

One of the problems ferries have doing the CDO or Baligoan run to one of the Camiguin ports is that at times an enormous swell builds up.

Normal practice is to call a trip off or postpone the crossings until things smooth out, but I did a crossing once where the swell developed mid journey, running across our path and the ferry kept sliding down into the troughs scaring the pants off all the passengers.

I've never seen so many people praying before.

The old Paras Sea Cat was simply unreliable with reasons never obvious nor given.

But it stopped a couple of years ago.

Any LinC member looking for on the spot up to date info should address questions to Spritsail who has lived there for something like 10 years.

KonGC

udonthani

unfortunately he can't go online unless it's about 3am, and even then he can't bank on it. Look at the times of every post he has ever made on this forum, and you would be forgiven for thinking that he lives in the United States because he usually seems to post when its about 4pm in New York. He does however enjoy the luxury of being able to visually see every vessel approaching Benoni port from his place. If he could, I'm sure he would confirm that the coastguard have got a lot better in not allowing ferries to sail in dodgy weather these days. And the state of those Balingoan-Benoni ferries is really bad, even by the standards of the Philippines, where you get used to seeing all sorts of crappy boats and really you get inured about it and stop noticing it so much.

Kabisay-an gid

so do you know how much do Ocean Jet charge per person? And can you get a bike on it. Ocean Jet ferry from Siquijor to Tagbilaran, I didn't take it but I asked, and they said yes you could get a bike on it.

http://www.oceanjet.net/index.php

no one

im trying the link but love for me :(

not sure why but i cant get any price or even times out of it 

KennyF

im trying the link but love for me :(

not sure why but i cant get any price or even times out of it 

Click on [Fare & Ticket Info] up the top of the home page.

It looks like the [Make A Booking] is knackered.

KonGC

no one

thanks that works 

but i hope this is round trip couse 900 1 way is way to much 

Cagayan de Oro
  • DestinationViaOpen AirTourist ClassBusiness Class
  • Camiguin900.00900.001000.00

KennyF

thanks that works 

but i hope this is round trip couse 900 1 way is way to much 

Cagayan de Oro
  • DestinationViaOpen AirTourist ClassBusiness Class
  • Camiguin900.00900.001000.00

One way. But I'm pretty sure it's from CDO city, not Baligoan.

KonGC