Sign in to follow this  
spritsail

Backpackers invade Camiguin Island

Skywalker

I stayed at the Rooftop Hotel in Mambajao - it was marvellous.  This was after doing white water rafting at CDO.

KennyF

I stayed at the Rooftop Hotel in Mambajao - it was marvellous.  This was after doing white water rafting at CDO.

Sure, but Geldt charges an arm and a leg.

I think it's around $40 to $50 for his rooms (nice as they are)

KonGC

Skywalker

I think it's around $40 to $50 for his rooms (nice as they are)

I can't honestly remember, I got a deal through Agoda, but there was 3 of us, although it was me who was paying, no wonder the other 2 were smiling all the time - hmm.

Topper

Spirtsail, I'll be headed to Camiguin Island late July through early August this year. I was planning on booking a place for about 2 - 3 days and then look around for others to stay at while I am there. I would like to check your place out, but it seems I can't send you a PM. Can you send me a PM with the name, location and room rates of your place? Also, do you have any suggestions as to other places to stay?

udonthani

the word on the street was that the Rooftop might be about to close. It's been losing a fortune for ages. The ordinary restaurant is spectacularly overpriced, even by the normal standards of foreign restaurants. The bakery is pretty good though, and they also pulled a good move when they opened up a Jolibee-type sideline which is the kind of food Filipinos want. That doesn't look like it's doing too bad and would I think be a money spinner if it was just stood on its own - rather than attached to the Rooftop. An American guy did a similar let's-copy-Jollibee trick on the Camotes with success too. But the Rooftop hotel itself, is a money pit. I do admit the rooms are nice, but at the prices they charge you might as well stay at Paras which has many more facilities.

Topper

I can't honestly remember, I got a deal through Agoda, but there was 3 of us, although it was me who was paying, no wonder the other 2 were smiling all the time - hmm.

What was your take on the place and how was the food? There were a few bad reviews (especially about the food). What did you think? Any other suggestions as to where to stay?

the word on the street was that the Rooftop might be about to close. It's been losing a fortune for ages. The ordinary restaurant is spectacularly overpriced, even by the normal standards of foreign restaurants. The bakery is pretty good though, and they also pulled a good move when they opened up a Jolibee-type sideline which is the kind of food Filipinos want. That doesn't look like it's doing too bad and would I think be a money spinner if it was just stood on its own - rather than attached to the Rooftop. An American guy did a similar let's-copy-Jollibee trick on the Camotes with success too. But the Rooftop hotel itself, is a money pit. I do admit the rooms are nice, but at the prices they charge you might as well stay at Paras which has many more facilities.

Where is Paras and what is it like?

udonthani

http://www.parasbeachresort.com/index.php

it's definitely worth considering if you are a couple on a relatively short vacation and therefore with a higher budget than mine to spend. It is a bit expensive though! I would definitely bring my own mask and snorkel rather than rent one of theirs -  350 pesos a day eek. It has a pool oddly not mentioned but only pictured on the website. Spiritsail's place is perfect for me though - quiet, inexpensive and rustic. It is well placed for the attractions near Benoni, in particular the Cantaan Clam Reserve with the yellow sand and off beach snorkelling and the swim holes on the west side of the island.

Topper

http://www.parasbeachresort.com/index.php

it's definitely worth considering if you are a couple on a relatively short vacation and therefore with a higher budget than mine to spend. It is a bit expensive though! I would definitely bring my own mask and snorkel rather than rent one of theirs -  350 pesos a day eek. It has a pool oddly not mentioned but only pictured on the website. Spiritsail's place is perfect for me though - quiet, inexpensive and rustic. It is well placed for the attractions near Benoni, in particular the Cantaan Clam Reserve with the yellow sand and off beach snorkelling and the swim holes on the west side of the island.

Thanks Whippy. I was just looking at the web site and the place looks great. I will probably stay there for a couple of days and do a little snorkeling. I want to visit Spiritsail's place, but I don't know the name of it. Hopefully he will PM me soon with that information.

KennyF

the word on the street was that the Rooftop might be about to close. It's been losing a fortune for ages.

The American guy who built it was crazy and threw money around like it was sand.

He bought all the open deli fridges from the aborted small goods shop that Silver Dollar Chris and John tried next to the go go bar in Cebu city.

He then installed them on the first floor of all places and expected to start selling imported small goods to the local expats.

It was closed down inside 4 weeks.

The lease for the building is held by Danish Oogie who is also a Philippine national.

The lease was ridiculous. I was there when Tom Solski tried to talk the original American owner out of it. I remember it being bandied about that the lease price and term should have been halved, but it wasn't.

He (the original yank) put in over a million pesos worth of air conditioning which was never switched on as Camiguin did not have the power supply to hook it up.

And so on and on and on. Cock up after cock up.

I remember Geldt paid only a deposit when he bought the
place from the yank and then six months later Gedt refused to pay any more as apparently the books were totally false (or at least very misleading).

What happened in the end I don't know as I left the island in 2009 or there about..

I'm trying to remember the original American guy's name but I'm drawing a blank.

He was out of Vegas, collected Harleys (or so he said) and was all in all quite a nice guy.

I got on quite well with him. He was a "let's give a go" kind of guy.

But on an island like Camiguin?

No way it was ever going to work, but both he initially, and Geldt later, have at least given it their best shot.

So well done both of you guys.

KonGC

udonthani

The American guy who built it was crazy and threw money around like it was sand.

He bought all the open deli fridges from the aborted small goods shop that Silver Dollar Chris and John tried next to the go go bar in Cebu city.

He then installed them on the first floor of all places and expected to start selling imported small goods to the local expats.

It was closed down inside 4 weeks.

The lease for the building is held by Danish Oogie who is also a Philippine national.

The lease was ridiculous. I was there when Tom Solski tried to talk the original American owner out of it. I remember it being bandied about that the lease price and term should have been halved, but it wasn't.

He (the original yank) put in over a million pesos worth of air conditioning which was never switched on as Camiguin did not have the power supply to hook it up.

And so on and on and on. Cock up after cock up.

I remember Geldt paid only a deposit when he bought the

place from the yank and then six months later Gedt refused to pay any more as apparently the books were totally false (or at least very misleading).

What happened in the end I don't know as I left the island in 2009 or there about..

I'm trying to remember the original American guy's name but I'm drawing a blank.

He was out of Vegas, collected Harleys (or so he said) and was all in all quite a nice guy.

I got on quite well with him. He was a "let's give a go" kind of guy.

But on an island like Camiguin?

No way it was ever going to work, but both he initially, and Geldt later, have at least given it their best shot.

So well done both of you guys.

KonGC

that Rooftop Saga is one of the most complicated stories that I ever heard of. You can forgive me for giving up halfway through whenever I heard anybody trying to summarise it in person. Thanks for at least attempting to write it down.

Contango

Camiguin is a great place to spend a week or so, white island, the volcano walk, Katibawasan falls, the hot and cold springs, black sand beaches, the sunken church, cheap accommodation, springwater on tap and Mambajao is a cute capital...its all laid back and cool, you can walk along the road with out worry and the jeepnees can only really travel on the one road so its easy to get around.

I can understand its appeal to backpackers and budget tourists in general.

Edited by Contango

udonthani

actually there isn't all that much real budget accommodation on Camiguin and GV really stands out. Aircon room, with cable tv for less than 600. Fan room (but with only local tv) for less than 400. Some places, like Sea Cove which used to sell fan rooms abandoned selling them. Jasmine's is not bad and there are probably a few more around the 700-800 mark I don't know about as there are a lot of lodges on the busy Mambajao-Yumbing stretch I have not checked out. Camiguin is not like like Siquijor where quite good quality fan rooms with tv are sold for as low 350 or 400. The hippy-bohemian type lodge, Enigmata http://camiguinecolodge.org/accommodation/ is actually quite expensive. The rooms are over 1000. The rooms are quirky and the vibe could be congenial for backpackers, however the overriding concern for backpackers is almost always price. The similar hippy-bohemian lodge to Enigmata in Loboc, Bohol, Nuts Huts, only charges 600. I have heard people if not exactly complaining, then observing that there has been a bit of a lack of budget accommodation on Camiguin compared to some other places. Maybe these new places are plugging a gap.

• Like 1

Stone

I don't understand how we can stay in business charging over 1000 pesos per night for his bohemian hippy type of rooms... 600 pesos is a good price but 1000 I would probably walk away also.

udonthani

well . . . it is an unusual place. I've not seen anywhere quite like it. But yes, you are right. The restaurant is also not cheap, although again it has some very unusual dishes. I was also wondering just where the customers were going to come from at those prices although I have to admit it was full the first time I went (but that was about 2 days before Christmas). Not the next time though. As it is an artists hang out, maybe they have a sponsor patronising them. I heard that they also have a kind of sister lodge in Bukidnon as well but i don't know what it is called. There used to be another kind of hippy bar/resto that seemed also kind of affiliated to Enigmata where all the bohemian artist types hung out in town in CDO that remains the only bar in the Philippines where anybody has ever passed me a joint (I politely refused, thinking it might be a set up). It was right opposite one of the college buildings not far from that Thai Me Up restaurant. Not surprisingly, I saw it had closed down the next time I was there about a year later.

old biker

just a quick question to sailspirit,i just joined this site after surfing the net looking for imfo on camiguin island ,i find i can not PM you so here are my questions mate, on  camiguin island are there  any suitable bungalows / nipa huts etc suitable for a Person with Disabilitys ? nothing fanicy just able to get to the crapper and shower, only basic accomidation i require, no bloody steps mate lol, the problem i have encounted is the doors are too dam narrow for the wheelchair,

i hear some homestays are available, but i prefere my own space, thanks for any advice you can shoot my way, i hope to be living on camiguin island for a few months, around june till september cheers