Sign in to follow this  
spritsail

Backpackers invade Camiguin Island

spritsail

Not sure how and when Camiguin got onto the backpackers map, but they have been arriving in droves for the past few months. Sure, backpackers have been arriving for several years now, mostly over 60s with a young filippina chck in tow, but now a sizeable percentage of backpackers are now young western lads and lassies taking a gap year.

They are not much different from when I did a 3 month backpacking adventure way back in 1968, at the end of studying and waiting for my first ship. Then there were no backpacker guide books, apart from the International Youth Hostel Guide, and the internet was not even imaginable. Hitch hiking was not frowned upon, and it was possible to get from Ostend , Belgium to the Italian port of Trieste within a few days. There were several ferries/cargo ships plying the eastern Adriatic calling at the island ports of Hvar, Korcula, and Dubrovnik then to the Greek Islands with deck sleeping space at a minimal price. There were no hotels on the islands then and travellers had to hope there were island homeowners on the quay offering rooms.

Now, as a retireee and hotel owner, i have taken to spend the days in Camiguin port handing out flyers to young backpackers to fill our rooms. Despite offering free transport to the hotel, only 5 minutes from the port, and some of the cheapest rooms on the island, I am taken aback by the abuse and rudeness of foreigners. There seems to be a fear of being approached by anyone offering multi cabs, rooms, or refreshments. Admittedly many have accommodation booked via the internet in the north, but there is a blinkered view that only the north of Camiguin is worth a visit, almost like Torremelinos / Loret del mar is the only place to visit in Spain. Over the past couple of years dozens of resorts and cottages have sprung up in the north, many owned by foreigners which has widened the gap between the north and south. The south offers more scenic attractions and a rural atmosphere rare to find in the Philippines nowadays but rarely visited by foreigners let alone to seek out how local pinoys live.

So what does generation of backpackers look for when choosing accommodation. Firstly, wifi is the most important, beach and bar are close second. Many seek adventure facilities and make a beeline for Action Geckos. ,  Some visit mantigue Island and many do a motorcycle tour of the island, maybe a few will do the Panaad - a round the island walk, a penitence for all the sins committed during the last year, but I somehow doubt it.  

• Like 2

shadow

This is most likely a direct result of the mob that greets passengers at most any pier when one gets off the boat. The greeting mob is anything but polite as they sometimes even physically try to steer you into using their services. One of the worst ports for this is Tagbilaran, where some pedicab drivers will even try to snatch your luggage from your hands and put it in their pedicab. One cannot get through the mob without being rude. Usually a traveler can count on anyone in the mob being ridiculously overpriced.

I am taken aback by the abuse and rudeness of foreigners. There seems to be a fear of being approached by anyone offering multi cabs, rooms, or refreshments. 

• Like 7

Thelandofku-an!

Perhaps Camiguim was described as unspoilt, a sure way to get a bunch of europeans to come along and change it, remember our own youth?

BossHog

Hey Spritsail,

I've noticed an influx of the younger western couples here too. To me it's a welcome change and I enjoy hearing about the modern outside world from a younger perspective.

They don't always have a fixed itinerary and I usually recommend Camiguin as a convenient next stop after Siargao.

If you want to PM me the name of your place and a link to your website, if you have one, I'm sure we can send some business your way.

Cheers, BH

newtocebu

The demographic is definitely changing..

We spent a week at the Montebello earlier this month, and it was full of Western couples ( some with kids )

There was also a vely large amount of older and younger Western couples departing from Cebu last week ( not just transitting though either )

mactanfamily

I am taken aback by the abuse and rudeness of foreigners.

I traveled all over the world and i always hated those touts at the ferry terminal shoving pamphlets in my face. It did not matter if it was a scam or legitimate.  I already had a place to go, and it was usually passed on by word of mouth from a happy past customer. Your idea of rudeness is their idea of caution. 

Pay a gifted designer and get an awesome website up. If your business is as good as you say, "build it and they will come".

• Like 2

Guy60417

I am taken aback by the abuse and rudeness of foreigners. There seems to be a fear of being approached by anyone offering multi cabs, rooms, or refreshments.

I am generally polite and respond with "No, thanks" in situations such as you describe. But there are times that the crush of hucksters and the aggressiveness of their approach is such that "No, thanks" changes to "F#$% you." As Larry says, the Tagbilaran ferry dock was one such case for me.

• Like 2

dark knight

They are coming to the philippines because they have already seen the rest of asia and some do not have steady work back home right now anyway.

They go to out of the way places like Palawan because it's more interesting to them.

They used to go to Bohol before it turned into a nightmare. Same could be said for malapascua as the areas themselves are over-run with hotels and out of control development. The beaches there are getting trashed.

Some might make it over to cloud 9 but if they landed in Cebu, the two main out of the way places would be siquijor and camiguin. While somewhat comparable, anyone who has been to both knows camiguin is way better for most travelers. Its distance, like palawan will save it from what has happened in bohol etc.

Even with new flights there it will never have a fastcraft from CDO or Cebu and even as it grows, it will not spoil, at least not for another couple of decades. And so the backpackers will come and keep coming and probably never take a flyer because they've got things booked long ago, would simply prefer to explore the place on their own, or just don't take flyers from strangers because they've been burned before.

Monsoon

Now, as a retireee and hotel owner, i have taken to spend the days in Camiguin port handing out flyers to young backpackers to fill our rooms. Despite offering free transport to the hotel, only 5 minutes from the port, and some of the cheapest rooms on the island, I am taken aback by the abuse and rudeness of foreigners. There seems to be a fear of being approached by anyone offering multi cabs, rooms, or refreshments.

So what does generation of backpackers look for when choosing accommodation. Firstly, wifi is the most important, beach and bar are close second. Many seek adventure facilities and make a beeline for Action Geckos. ,  Some visit mantigue Island and many do a motorcycle tour of the island, maybe a few will do the Panaad - a round the island walk, a penitence for all the sins committed during the last year, but I somehow doubt it.  

Well to be fair, I don't like anyone approaching me about anything when I am travelling. Especially when I arrive somewhere. And we all know how typical Philippine air and sea ports are. Annoying. So, can't say I blame them, by the time they got to Cumiguin I'm sure they've had enough!

• Like 3

udonthani

I too noticed a quite big increase of backpackers on Camiguin and also in Dumaguete and Siquijor. The best canvasser-type OPCs and distributors of flyers, etc aimed at backpackers who are often couples in their early or mid 20s are not sixty something white blokes but relatively mature and well turned out and spoken women around their thirties who look reliable, not hot chicks who would be the best with the older guy tourists and the best place for them to be to approach the prospects is on the actual ferry itself, not at the port where there are loads of motor and multi-cab drivers in a scrum that puts them off anybody trying to promote anything. But you would need to be sure that there really are a lot of backpackers on the ferries to have somebody working on them. And I have never seen all that many backpackers on the Camiguin ferries.

I noticed the backpacker marketing was far more advanced at Siquijor port (but not oddly Larena so much) than Benoni. I didn't see any OPC canvassers but there were big clear signs on display that would be the first thing they saw getting off the boat saying you could get rooms for 350 and bikes for 300. Maybe at the busiest times they push a little extra and have a canvasser.

• Like 1

asiawolfie

Spritsail, mind to tell me which resort with inexpensive (aircon?) rooms u own there ? I might well be going there in the near future, even though I am not a young backpacker  ;-)

post here or send me a PM; if you prefer that, thanks

udonthani

Spritsail's place, with the breezes wafting in from off the lagoon, you don't even need a fan in the reception area never mind aircon. However there is a fan in the upstairs bedroom together with a mozzie net. There is no aircon at his place and the better it is for it.

aircon rooms elsewhere on Camiguin start at about 700-800 at the more inexpensive seaside places like Jashmine's-by-the-sea north of Mambajao, but cheapest is the GV hotel in Mambajao which just raised their prices I think past 600.

meylou

Hi Spritsail.

Maybe you can get permission and post your place in Camiguin here. I would love to go there for the lansones festival and perhaps stay at your place.

Maybe you can just post a link to your website (if you have one) so that we'd know about your place.

Thanks.

meylou

KennyF

aircon rooms elsewhere on Camiguin start at about 700-800 at the more inexpensive seaside places like Jashmine's-by-the-sea north of Mambajao, but cheapest is the GV hotel in Mambajao which just raised their prices I think past 600.

GV bit of a back street location and used quite a bit for short time. Lots of stairs too.

Jasmin, good value and great location right on the beach.

Here's a brief clip.

Edited by KennyF

udonthani

no I wouldn't say the GV is a short time hotel as a core part of their business. They certainly do not advertise rooms at 12 hour rates. That is not to say that you could not rent a room for less time and less money than the 24 hour price though, if you asked them. Most foreigners would just pay the 24 hour price anyway even if they only needed it for a few hours - the fan rooms are 380. I have stayed there many times and haven't really observed classic signs of it being short-time, which is usually the plenty of quite furtive looking young Filipino couples you see in the pension houses in northern Mindanao cities who sell more 12 hour rooms, than 24 hour ones. Jasmine's is definitely one of the best value beachside places around the busy Mambajao-Yumbing bit. However she gets a lot of semi-permanents and loyal customers who regularly come back again and again and can be full. As Spritsail says quite a few new places seemed to have sprung up around there but I was only there for 4 days in February and didn't have time to look them over.