What is "Authentication" and how do you get it?

mpt1947

I didn't either but how long ago did you do yours.  Seems to be a new requirement and no, it's not just for Americans.

I am an American - I got my Probationary in 2012 and just completed my Permanent at the End of April - I was not required to produce a Police Report, or have 100,000 Pesos in an Account here in the Philippines.

When I applied (actually my wife) for the Probationary, we downloaded forms from BoI Website and there wasn't any questions regarding Police Reports or Money  - 

James Musslewhite(?) posted something somewhere about he and his wife going to Davao with all their documents in hand - but upon getting there they were told they needed the extra documentation - I believe that was in late 2012 or early 2013.

cebubird

I am an American - I got my Probationary in 2012 and just completed my Permanent at the End of April - I was not required to produce a Police Report, or have 100,000 Pesos in an Account here in the Philippines.

When I applied (actually my wife) for the Probationary, we downloaded forms from BoI Website and there wasn't any questions regarding Police Reports or Money  - 

James Musslewhite(?) posted something somewhere about he and his wife going to Davao with all their documents in hand - but upon getting there they were told they needed the extra documentation - I believe that was in late 2012 or early 2013.

My story same as mpt1947-except we used the agency right by BOI because they had done the "authenication" for our marriage back in the US.

USMC-Retired

This is the very reason we're fighting to get the length of tourist extensions limited to a maximum of 90 days. Who does more than 90 days of touristic activities? Most people can't go on vacation more than a week or two a year. Most nations in the world only allow 30-90 days. If you are in a country longer than 90 days, it's usually for something bad. Reducing the time foreign tourists can stay in the Philippines will reduce some of the undesirables and some of the problems caused by the scourge "expat" phenomenon.  

That is funny.  Yourself and the Government must be in different chords of the similar songs.  They are actually making all the requirements less.  

As for police checks what a load of crap.  Who prearranges visas to countries.  Only people from third world countries that can not walk up and get a visa.    Then you have to prove you will not be one of the million of overstay and visa abusers in that country currently.  

As for the 13a just arrive on BB then complete the requirements here.  It will save you much heart ache dealing with the PH Embassy .  

Edited by USMC-Retired
USMC-Retired

I been to every single one of those countries and had pre-arranged visas to Germany France and Japan.  Never not once have I had to get a police check.  

I will not get into semantics or historical meaning for the use of 3rd world it carries a connotation with it that fits many poor countries hence its use. 

I have my own life issues I could careless about people that arrive here from other countries with criminal records or break the law here.   So no I do not read laws or understand them unless they apply to me or my situation. Some overlap other do not.  

As for this guy I would just avail of the BB stamp on arrival and apply for a 13a here.  Just my thoughts.    

Edited by USMC-Retired

Hi guys 

i am in the UK and just trying to get it sorted and so far having a nightmare.

Got the - basic disclosure - document from Disclosure Scotland for £25 and then sent it to the Foreign and Commonwealth office to get it legalized ( £36inc.postage).FCO refused to legalize it as the document was not signed by Disclosure Scotland.

THIS IS IMPORTANT - Disclosure Scotland told me today that they only sign documents if you request them to do it with your application !! 

So back to the start line again....

Have seen solicitor, phoned Fco,phoned DS,phoned Phil embassy

waiting for reply to emails to clarify things but so far it looks like this

Step1 = get basic disclosure document with signature from disclosure scotland £25

step2 = send that document to Fco for legalisation £36

step3= get that document notarized by public notary (only 1 quote so far £114)

step4= send that back to the Fco to get it authenticated ( £ no idea atm)

step5= sent that and 2 copy's plus fee of £18 to Philippine embassy

will update this 

if anyone has done this successfully recently please post

i'm off to kick my dead cat :bomb:  :banghead:

UPDATE --  GOT IT !

Step 1 = Basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland  ( £25 fee ) plus postage off approx. £13 doing next day delivery both ways.

REPEAT - you MUST ask for it to be signed.

Step 2 = get it notarized ( £114 )

You might get it done for less . The closest Notary Public lived about 50 miles from me so you might want to check

where the nearest is here   = http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

Step 3 = send it to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for legalization ( £30 plus £6 postage ) , they send it back with Fedex

you also need to download a form from there website etc.

Step 4 = sent it to Philippine Embassy for legalization (£18 ) plus postage

Obviously check there webpages for the exact details , updates , changes .

Costs     = £193

Postage = approx. £37 

MOAN   = because i did not get the signature first time around and have no car at the moment ,  with additional postage and travel

it cost me over £300 :itsokay:

knowing my luck i won't even need it but one thing less to worry about

Finally , it can be done in 4 weeks but i would advise 5\6 .

edit = did something wrong , sorry for the extra white\free space

Edited by mr.n
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys , im a newby to your forum :db:  an english guy in scotland, moving soon to malaybalay to be with my asawa

UPDATE --  GOT IT !

Step 1 = Basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland  ( £25 fee ) plus postage off approx. £13 doing next day delivery both ways.

REPEAT - you MUST ask for it to be signed.

Step 2 = get it notarized ( £114 )

You might get it done for less . The closest Notary Public lived about 50 miles from me so you might want to check

where the nearest is here   = http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

Step 3 = send it to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for legalization ( £30 plus £6 postage ) , they send it back with Fedex

you also need to download a form from there website etc.

Step 4 = sent it to Philippine Embassy for legalization (£18 ) plus postage

Obviously check there webpages for the exact details , updates , changes .

Costs     = £193

Postage = approx. £37 

MOAN   = because i did not get the signature first time around and have no car at the moment ,  with additional postage and travel

it cost me over £300 :itsokay:

knowing my luck i won't even need it but one thing less to worry about

Finally , it can be done in 4 weeks but i would advise 5\6 .

edit = did something wrong , sorry for the extra white\free space

hi, according to fso ,the basic disclosure ,     please note (either)   here is what it says Your Disclosure Scotland document can only be legalised if it has been either:

• signed by an official from the issuing authority
  • certified

https://www.gov.uk/legalisation-document-checker/y/disclosure-scotland-document

so it does not need both, though i agree its a good idea to ask for it signed,  it must be notarized  for philippine embassy uk anyway,

i received my basic disclosure, unsigned, i took it to be notarized, and posted it to FCO, yesterday with the return postage paid total £36,

so anyway i should get my disclosure back in a couple of days , so we will see if they accept it or not,and let you know, but as you see it does say either

got my basic disclosure back from FCO  today, no problems , this was sent with the notary public done, and was not signed by  the issuing authority,(disclosure scotland)

my next task is to forward now to the philippine embassy london for legalization/ authentication,

i will enclose 1 photo copy of passport data page,1 self addressed special delivery A4  envelope(post office say registered envelopes no longer exist) 1 postal order for £18,made payable to the philippine embassy,and not forgetting the basic disclosure,

i will send in a polythene post office special delivery envelope,

now its friday today, the embassy is not open saturday, special delivery is next day delivery, so if i send today i assume there will be no one to sign for it on saturday, so i may wait until half hour before post office closes, or send saturday morning instead, as it will be sunday at delivery they will deliver monday instead 

anyone know how long london embassy take to process and return the disclosure?

). If you think that Philippine Immigration checks on the criminal

status of all people entering the country, you are absolutely wrong.

There are many foreign nationals living in the Philippines who have been

convicted of one thing or another in their home countries. Some of them

live here for many years totally unnoticed by Immigration or law

enforcement, and few are ever caught by any Philippine authorities

unless investigators from the person's home country track them down

first and lead the Philippine authorities to them. So...where in the

world are you getting this stuff?

Because they generally don't check on the status of people who tourists on 21 day visas which become the ever-lasting tourist visas- ever extended into infinity. They're supposed to but I guess it's not worth it to them because tourists bring money and they don't want to scare them.  And because some let thier visas expire but are not making any trouble , they are generally left alone. There's a law on books-- it does not mean it's being enforced 100 % of the time in 100% of cases. I guess these criminals are just assumed to be tourists and nothing is checked. Now, if you want permanent residency and serious things of that nature, then these things come to the fore.

PS Maybe the police report is an NBI requirement.  I certainly did

not have to obtain a police report but then I'm not American.  Instead

it took lining up at the NBI for a day and a half, the visits spaced out

over two or three days presumably while they checked up on my criminal career (and were disappointed).

It may be possible that an NBI clearance is for those who reside in the Philippines and a US police one is for those who reside in the US but who are going back to the Philippines.

Edited by tambok

Because they generally don't check on the status of people who tourists on 21 day visas which become the ever-lasting tourist visas- ever extended into infinity. They're supposed to but I guess it's not worth it to them because tourists bring money and they don't want to scare them.  And because some let thier visas expire but are not making any trouble , they are generally left alone. There's a law on books-- it does not mean it's being enforced 100 % of the time in 100% of cases. I guess these criminals are just assumed to be tourists and nothing is checked. Now, if you want permanent residency and serious things of that nature, then these things come to the fore.

It may be possible that an NBI clearance is for those who reside in the Philippines and a US police one is for those who reside in the US but who are going back to the Philippines.

1. If the applicant has been in the Philippines for less than six (6) months, he shall attach to his application a Police Clearance from his country of origin or residence duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy / Consulate at the place of issuance or nearest to it, with English translation, if written in another foreign language.
  2. If the applicant has been in the Philippines for six (6) months or more, he shall, in addition to the Police Clearance from his country of origin or residence prior to his arrival in the Philippines, attach to his application a National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) clearance.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1978&Itemid=103

Edited by imagine

got my basic disclosure back from FCO  today, no problems , this was sent with the notary public done, and was not signed by  the issuing authority,(disclosure scotland)

my next task is to forward now to the philippine embassy london for legalization/ authentication,

i will enclose 1 photo copy of passport data page,1 self addressed special delivery A4  envelope(post office say registered envelopes no longer exist) 1 postal order for £18,made payable to the philippine embassy,and not forgetting the basic disclosure,

i will send in a polythene post office special delivery envelope,

now its friday today, the embassy is not open saturday, special delivery is next day delivery, so if i send today i assume there will be no one to sign for it on saturday, so i may wait until half hour before post office closes, or send saturday morning instead, as it will be sunday at delivery they will deliver monday instead 

anyone know how long london embassy take to process and return the disclosure?

my basic disclosure arrived at the phil embassy london on monday, returned back to me today wednesday , quick service, all complete red ribbon and gold seal