What is "Authentication" and how do you get it?

Terrance

The BOI requires an "authenticated by the Philippines embassy or consulate" police report for a 13a visa.  I can get the police report from the USA, but my contacts in the states cannot find out what authentication means or how to get it done. Their repeated calls to the NY consulate of the PI have resulted in no useful information on this procedure.  They are told to "check the website", yet I have checked the website and I cannot find any information on the authentication procedure.  Does anyone here have any advice on how to get a police report authenticated in the US?  Thanks

I always wondered about that too.

Do they check for every criminal infraction or is it only violent/drug type stuff?

This is not the first reference to an authenticated US police report being necessary for a 13a visa that I have seen in this forum.  Where does this requirement originate?  Is it a special requirement for US citizens?  Or perhaps it is a type of prequalification that is acceptable to the BoI instead of the NBI clearance.

Here is the list of requirements as posted by the BoI.  There is no mention of a US police report.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=52

In answer to Dolsos' question: authentication of a document by any government agency does not confirm the truth (or otherwise) of the content of that document, it simply means that the local agency recognises the document as genuine.

PS Maybe the police report is an NBI requirement.  I certainly did not have to obtain a police report but then I'm not American.  Instead it took lining up at the NBI for a day and a half, the visits spaced out over two or three days presumably while they checked up on my criminal career (and were disappointed).

Edited by GoHuk
mikejwoodnz

Here is the list of requirements as posted by the BoI.  There is no mention of a US police report.   http://immigration.g...d=132&Itemid=52

Such Fun ! - how do you quantify this one ? :

11.    (   )        Medical Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine that alien spouse and unmarried 
                       Children are not afflicted with any contagious, dangerous and loathsome disease.

Such Fun ! - how do you quantify this one ? :

11.    (   )        Medical Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine that alien spouse and unmarried 

Children are not afflicted with any contagious, dangerous and loathsome disease.

The BoI will tell you where to go.

(PS How do I show an image in this post?)

Edited by GoHuk
SkyMan

I certainly did not have to obtain a police report but then I'm not American.

I didn't either but how long ago did you do yours.  Seems to be a new requirement and no, it's not just for Americans.

I didn't either but how long ago did you do yours.  Seems to be a new requirement and no, it's not just for Americans.

Six and a half years ago. 

(Now found out how to attach images so here's the quarantine certificate.)

post-14483-0-64503300-1364121199_thumb.jpg

Thelandofku-an

I think the police report may be a misnomer, when I applied for my 13A in the uk during the "eighties" they were able to check whether I had a criminal record there!

Is it possible for you to get a suitable document from your home country authenticated at your Embassy in Philippines?

eg. A notary public in UK (there are few) can have any statement you make about marital status certified by the UK notary society which you then have converted to a Philippine document called a CNI (certificate of no impediment) by your own Embassy in the Philippines!

http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/what-a-notary-does

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/notary.html

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

I think the police report may be a misnomer, when I applied for my 13A in the uk during the "eighties" they were able to check whether I had a criminal record there!

Is it possible for you to get a suitable document from your home country authenticated at your Embassy in Philippines?

eg. A notary public in UK (there are few) can have any statement you make about marital status certified by the UK notary society which you then have converted to a Philippine document called a CNI (certificate of no impediment) by your own Embassy in the Philippines!

http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/what-a-notary-does

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/notary.html

I believe the situation to be that the BoI (or any Philippine bureau for that matter) will require the document to be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy (or consulate) in the country of origin of the document.  The logic being that it is the local embassy that can best determine that a document is genuine.  I have over time needed to get many documents authenticated by various embassies and some have insisted that they are first authenticated by an agent in the issuing country.  For me, a Briton, this first meant a trip to Petty France in London (now I believe relocated) before going to the embassy in question.

Thelandofku-an

I believe the situation to be that the BoI (or any Philippine bureau for that matter) will require the document to be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy (or consulate) in the country of origin of the document.  The logic being that it is the local embassy that can best determine that a document is genuine.  I have over time needed to get many documents authenticated by various embassies and some have insisted that they are first authenticated by an agent in the issuing country.  For me, a Briton, this first meant a trip to Petty France in London (now I believe relocated) before going to the embassy in question.

You are probably correct GoHuk, however perhaps it's worth contacting the US Embassy notarial service in Manila to see if they can help with a consular solution, maybe avoiding a trip home since he appears to be in Phil's just now?

Alternatively this is a list of Philippine lawyers from the US Embassy website.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/299618/dellutajc/List%20of%20Attorneys%20as%20of%20July%2011_%202011.pdf

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
lazydays

What was applicable 1+ yrs ago is not applicable now, this is now being enforced by the PH Gov't.

I can only speak for Brits.

Criminal Disclosure is now handled by the Scottish Office (recent re-organisation) no matter where you reside/d in the UK.

There are 3 categories;

1) Basic

2) Standard

3) Enhanced

Only Basic Disclosure is granted to an individual at a cost of £25. (Valid for 6 months)

www.disclosuresscotland.co.uk

Only prospective employers are granted availability of Standard or Enhanced Disclosure.

The basic disclosure then needs to be taken to or sent SAE to the Philippine Embassy in London for authentication stamp.

(Maybe worthwhile to phone them first)

PS. If you fail to apply for a 13a visa in the PH within 6 months, you must still produce your UK disclosure plus additional NBI clearance when you decide to apply thereafter.

Edited by lazydays
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Alternatively this is a list of Philippine lawyers from the US Embassy website.

Highly recommended to AVOID that list.

• 1 month later...

What was applicable 1+ yrs ago is not applicable now, this is now being enforced by the PH Gov't.

I can only speak for Brits.

Criminal Disclosure is now handled by the Scottish Office (recent re-organisation) no matter where you reside/d in the UK.

There are 3 categories;

1) Basic

2) Standard

3) Enhanced

Only Basic Disclosure is granted to an individual at a cost of £25. (Valid for 6 months)

www.disclosuresscotland.co.uk

Only prospective employers are granted availability of Standard or Enhanced Disclosure.

The basic disclosure then needs to be taken to or sent SAE to the Philippine Embassy in London for authentication stamp.

(Maybe worthwhile to phone them first)

PS. If you fail to apply for a 13a visa in the PH within 6 months, you must still produce your UK disclosure plus additional NBI clearance when you decide to apply thereafter

Hi guys 

i am in the UK and just trying to get it sorted and so far having a nightmare.

Got the - basic disclosure - document from Disclosure Scotland for £25 and then sent it to the Foreign and Commonwealth office to get it legalized ( £36inc.postage).FCO refused to legalize it as the document was not signed by Disclosure Scotland.

THIS IS IMPORTANT - Disclosure Scotland told me today that they only sign documents if you request them to do it with your application !! 

So back to the start line again....

Have seen solicitor, phoned Fco,phoned DS,phoned Phil embassy

waiting for reply to emails to clarify things but so far it looks like this

Step1 = get basic disclosure document with signature from disclosure scotland £25

step2 = send that document to Fco for legalisation £36

step3= get that document notarized by public notary (only 1 quote so far £114)

step4= send that back to the Fco to get it authenticated ( £ no idea atm)

step5= sent that and 2 copy's plus fee of £18 to Philippine embassy

will update this 

if anyone has done this successfully recently please post

i'm off to kick my dead cat :bomb:  :banghead:

Edited by mr.n
  • 3 weeks later...
Headshot

Any. Criminals are generally forbidden from entering the RP.

What has your nearest PCG told you? 

All foreign nationals need an Authenticated Police Clearance. This is generally an FBI Back Ground Check, sent directly to the PCG and forwarded to the BI in Intramuros. 

All or any crimes committed in the past may temporarily or permanently bar your entrance into the Philippines and may result in a blacklisting. Generally speaking, convicted felons are not permitted to ever travel to the Philippines. Like most nations.

Sarap, could you please give us a little bit of background on yourself and how you came by the advice that you are giving...because quite frankly...it is different than what most on this forum have experienced (not just in this topic but in several topics where you have commented). If you think that Philippine Immigration checks on the criminal status of all people entering the country, you are absolutely wrong. There are many foreign nationals living in the Philippines who have been convicted of one thing or another in their home countries. Some of them live here for many years totally unnoticed by Immigration or law enforcement, and few are ever caught by any Philippine authorities unless investigators from the person's home country track them down first and lead the Philippine authorities to them. So...where in the world are you getting this stuff?

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2