Sign in to follow this  
sjp

Free Hot Water

udonthani

having observed this with probably about 60-80 single, independent individuals (i.e. not a mob organisation of 34 people) almost none of whom actually like taking hot water showers when they have a choice, I think I am entitled to my opinion.

just in case you haven't noticed, there is a pyschological tendency for people to say that they are grateful to somebody else when they give them something even when they in actual fact aren't that bothered. Years ago when some foreign idiot gave a girl I knew a washing machine to 'ease her burden' she thanked him profusely. However she would have much preferred it had he just given her the money that it cost, continued doing her handwashing like she always had, and when he went back to the United States, she never used the washing machine at all and ended up selling it for a fraction of what it cost him.

it may or may not be relevant that I am myself not that bothered about any hot water showers either and I am indeed perfectly happy to take cold water baths out of a bucket in the tropics. This is why of course Filipinos usually say they are taking a bath, not a shower like a westerner would even though the instrument they are using is a shower faucet.

the Thais are just the same. They can move to Alaska or Oslo and still take cold water showers out of habit. You will find the odd one that actually enjoys and prefers hot showers. But not as many as you might think.

Peter C

and you can install a shower, but when there is a bucket and a 'kaboo' available, they will prefer these simple utensils. 

• Like 1

Woolf

Lets say you have an instant water heater.

if

the heater is rated at 5 k watt (5000 watt)

and you take a 10 minute shower

cost of electricity 10 peso per k watt / hour

the cost of electricity will be less than 10 peso

5/6*10=8.333

And you can easily reduce that to half by get yourself wet, turn water off,

soap yourself and turn the water on again to get the soap off of you

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

udonthani

and you can install a shower, but when there is a bucket and a 'kaboo' available, they will prefer these simple utensils. 

even I like it. It's actually quicker than a pathetic low-pressure shower and does the job more effectively whether the water is hot, or cold.

Thelandofku-an!

minimum investment cheap hot water device for the tropics that I used for shower water last year 

Garden_hose.jpg

Step one : connect to water source 

step two : coil it up on your lawn 

step tree : attach a fancy end thingy with shower function 

step Four : open water source

step five : have a 5 minute brake from all the work, undress and shower. ( do not take too long a brake cos the water will become scolding hot ) 

A 60 feet length of garden hose will give u a modest shower 120 feet will make u think u had a water heater on...

I advice u to turn off the source tap and let the presure out of the hose when don to increase hose life span 

Your welcome 

Rune :)

Black pipe prevents sunlight propogating algae or other slimy crap that can cause skin irritation!

Thelandofku-an!

Well I take a different view. When I installed a hot water heater for my wifes family ( 34 people ) every one of them loved it. The only person that did not like it was me, I pay the electric bill.

Sling a 100 metre coil of 3/4 black alkathene pipe on the roof and hook it into the shower feed to cut the bill down, maybe even pull the fuse if it's enough for them?

KID

Lets say you have an instant water heater.

if

the heater is rated at 5 k watt (5000 watt)

and you take a 10 minute shower

cost of electricity 10 peso per k watt / hour

the cost of electricity will be less than 10 peso

5/6*10=8.333

And you can easily reduce that to half by get yourself wet, turn water off,

soap yourself and turn the water on again to get the soap off of you

And They are not really that expensive these day's--- $150---$400

Woolf

And They are not really that expensive these day's--- $150---$400

post-6705-0-91879500-1364096064_thumb.jpg

miles-high

havinng observed this with probably about 60-80 single...almost none of whom actually like taking hot water showers when they have a choice...

As the Philippines’ population is about 98mil, it seems rather small sampling to make such a categorical statement :D My larger sampling (yet still very small) tells me “they” like warm Jacuzzi… :D

Years ago when some foreign idiot gave a girl I knew a washing machine to 'ease her burden' she thanked him profusely. However she would have much preferred it had he just given her the money that it cost, continued doing her handwashing like she always had, and when he went back to the United States, she never used the washing machine at all and ended up selling it for a fraction of what it cost him.

Purely an anecdotal evidence… Maybe true but then why so many manufactures, from Electrolux to LG, Panasonic to Samsung, etc., etc. at SM Appliances, Abensons, Gaisano, etc., etc. are selling the washing machines/dryers (even "inverter" washing machines) in the Philippines? They are only selling to the foreigners? I seriously doubt it… :D

They can move to Alaska or Oslo and still take cold water showers out of habit. You will find the odd one that actually enjoys and prefers hot showers. But not as many as you might think.

I guess it is a matter of getting used to, acclamation, opportunities, etc. I used to hate caviar and foie gras when I was younger, now I love them… :) Start feeding your Filipinas with caviar and foie gras and they just might like them…

:rofl:

udonthani

all I know is almost none of them are interested in taking any hot water shower even when they've never taken one before. You make this big show of showing them what it is and how to work it and then they try it. However they have a different attitude about it to us. They don't especially like it at all and usually just revert to taking their showers cold. Most of them also use a bucket too even if they are somewhere where the water pressure is not too bad.

over the years I have realised that they have it right and I have become more like them rather than them more like me. If I'm staying in a hotel and it has a hot water shower that's a bonus as like most people here, but unlike them, I was brought up with hot water showers. However if there isn't one, and in fact even if the shower isn't working at all and there is only a tap and bucket, I couldn't give a rat's ass about it. If somebody said why don't you move to a different room with a hot shower and pay 200 pesos more I'd just laugh at them. I have realised that it is not particularly important in the Philippines

Edited by udonthani