liquido

My friend went to immigration yesterday in Mandaue wearing shorts and sandals..He was told he could not enter...they advised him he could go  across the street to rent a big pair of pants to go over his shorts and rubber shoes so he could enter immigration..100p for the pants and 100p for the shoes..I guess they are enforcing the dress code again.......

Wolfpack

I have known you have to wear pants and shoes there...very funny that there is now a business that revolves around it!!!

it is quite a long time since this took affect and I still chuckle every time I see ppl sitting outside in shorts!

I see the price for the pants and shoes have gone up a bit, I think it was P40 the first time I saw some1 rent pants.

I know it is evil to laugh of the pore ppl sitting there cos they have no way of knowing the dress kode, but to day I bought 2 pairs of slippers for the neighbor's kids so I hope I am golden. 

R

KennyF

A word to the wise.

In ALL SEA countries, when you have to confront ANY officialdom, dress properly.

Sandals seem to be OK but certainly not flip flops.

Long pants

Shirt preferably sleeves rolled down and buttoned as high as is comfortable.

"Yes sir/ma'am" and other shows of respect.

KinPP

• Like 4
A_Simple_Man

Its not like there have never been any threads on the subject in this form.  What would be shocking would be to find out that active forum members did not know.

Headshot

Its not like there have never been any threads on the subject in this form.  What would be shocking would be to find out that active forum members did not know.

Well...somebody who is fairly new to LinC Forums and who hasn't read the old topics might not know. It was over a year ago when they started enforcing their dress code. We talked a lot about it at the time, but it seldom gets mentioned anymore. I think we just assume everybody already knows that there is a dress code at Immigration.

liquido

I will have to say my friend is not a member of this forum and he has never been to immigration before because of using travel agencys....He was needing the security clearance for staying longer than 6 months...I completely forgot about telling him about the dress code..Im sure some higher up there has there fingers in the rental business there..haha

I will have to say my friend is not a member of this forum and he has never been to immigration before because of using travel agencys....He was needing the security clearance for staying longer than 6 months...I completely forgot about telling him about the dress code..Im sure some higher up there has there fingers in the rental business there..haha

Well well. Bugger  Am I glad I did not go there today to get my exit clearance coz I would have gone there in pair of shorts for sure.  Might have to tie a bit of string around the finger for Monday trip to there. Thanx for the timely reminder.

udonthani

My friend went to immigration yesterday in Mandaue wearing shorts and sandals..He was told he could not enter...they advised him he could go  across the street to rent a big pair of pants to go over his shorts and rubber shoes so he could enter immigration..100p for the pants and 100p for the shoes..I guess they are enforcing the dress code again.......

it's slippers, not sandals. That happened to me last time, but only my shoes didn't pass muster. I always wear long pants anyway and always have but that time I was wearing cheap slippers having got used to wearing them instead of the sandals I habitually wore on all my previous visits to BoI offices and always been admitted. If your sandals do not have anything round the back covering the heel they are classed as slippers and you might not get into a BoI office, You also would not be admitted to places like the Grand Palace in Bangkok wearing slippers, however proper sandals are fine. I also did not have to pay 100 to rent the shoes from the guy outside the Mandaue office. That was only what he initially asked. We settled on 50 which I still thought was too high. I had a girl with me and I would have just asked her to go inside and get the forms on my behalf  and do it herself, however she was only wearing slippers too and they wouldn't let her in either.

johnboy999

I went to the Dumaguete office on 4th March and out of probably 20 people who were in and out of that office during the time I was waiting for my extension, at least 80% of them were wearing shorts and slippers. I of course was wearing long pants and shoes as I didn't want any hassle and I was very much in the minority there! I guess Mandaue is much stricter with the dress code than Dumaguete 

udonthani

there is a distinction between slippers and sandals. I tried to talk my way in as I saw some people in the Mandaue office wearing sandals. The guard said sandals are fine, however slippers like we were wearing are not. Few foreigners actually wear slippers. Most of them wear sandals.

KennyF

The guard said sandals are fine, however slippers like we were wearing are not. Few foreigners actually wear slippers. Most of them wear sandals.

I'm getting confused here.

To me and the locals I know, slippers are flip flops or in Oz, thongs.

There is a strap between the big and little toes holding them on.

post-4822-0-71873000-1363964702_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-82301200-1363964707_thumb.jpg

Sandals are held on by slipping you feet into them, heel or not.

post-4822-0-56684100-1363964709_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-06332900-1363964713_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-42628300-1363964716_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-73192900-1363964718_thumb.jpg

Is that right?

KinPP

udonthani

they have (or at least used to have) these diagrams of shoes on display at the Grand Palace in Bangkok that show what is acceptable to wear and what is not and I think basically the same criteria applies in the Philippines. Of the pictures of the shoes you have helpfully posted, only the two in the centre (or at least the left hand one) would be wearable there as they have a strap round the back covering the heels. I've always got entry to BoI offices before when I was wearing long pants and decent sandals with a heel strap, however that last time where they had no heel strap I wasn't allowed in. I was a little annoyed about it but didn't object too much at all, as I knew it was my fault for not realising before I'd set off that this particular kind of shoewear on that particular day I was wearing is not appropriate in formal settings not only in the Philippines, but elsewhere in south east Asia.

A_Simple_Man

there is a distinction between slippers and sandals.

And then there are signs which say no sandos which foreigners sometimes confuse with sandals.  Google sando for a pic but it means a sleeveless shirt.

smokey

there is a distinction between slippers and sandals. I tried to talk my way in as I saw some people in the Mandaue office wearing sandals. The guard said sandals are fine, however slippers like we were wearing are not. Few foreigners actually wear slippers. Most of them wear sandals.

i went in one time in shorts and man did i get the evil eye from the foreigners .. i totally spaced it out and was following an employee so maybe that is why ....  As to the pants rental i was offered one time in manila and i sure am not going to put them nasty dirty pants on they were filthy who knows maybe you can catch the crabs  .