Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Marcosas Seaside Cottage (Moalboal)

udonthani

look I haven't got anything against them for raising their prices. I have a shop and I raise my prices all the time. And if anybody said they were not prepared to pay the new price but stick with the old one I'd tell them to take a walk. I wouldn't even really want bother to explain to them why I'd raised the prices though if I had to I would explain that it is (truthfully) because my costs - especially diesel fuel - have gone up.

I'm sure the Asian-Belgian raised their prices because they reckoned they needed to, not because they were a bit bored and couldn't think of anything else to do. Exactly why they raised them is not really any of my business. I certainly wouldn't think that I am entitled to an explanation. All I know is that when they did, they ceased to be competitive at least from my point of view. Even when it was 1000, they were only just worth it. They were only just hanging on at that price. But when they raised their price to 1200 - which is really quite a lot of money for a simple fan bungalow in a developing country - but their competitors didn't raise their prices, it tipped them over the edge.

I stay in (usually but not always inexpensive) hotels a lot and sometimes yes I do get lower prices, often without even having to ask for them and sometimes not even when I am personal friends with them. Aleu's Lodge in Toledo lets me stay in their big 750 room for 550. I'd told them that it was my favorite room but that I couldn't really justify the extra expense. I wasn't trying to wangle a lower rate at all. I was just making conversation. But they decided to award it me anyway without my asking. Apparently, they'd decided that I was more than just a normal random punter with my having stayed there quite a bit over 7 years and been a bit of a laugh all round.

another time recently I have talked them into raising prices because I think they're being stupid not to do so themselves. I used to pay an extra 50 for a refridgerator in my room at the Compostela Pension. I asked for a ref again, last time I was there and the staff just like they always had before, said it would be an extra 50. I told them that this was the lowest price for a ref in the Philippines I had seen and that usually it is 100 and sometimes even 200. I said it's OK to charge 80. I won't mind. You should be charging 80, not 100 which is too high but not 50 which is now too low.  I don't mind paying a fair price.

Thelandofku-an!

they're still hookers basically who'll drop their pants in a bid to gain a pecuniary advantage whether somebody pays them or not.

Correct, a friend said he never pays for sex with any woman in any country; he just pays them to go home. Cos sure as hell they don't leave if you don't pay!!!

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

towboat72

aircon is just not necessary. If you need aircon in a place like Pangsama beach you have no business being in the Philippines at all really. The climate is not for you. You can get good deals in Moalboal for sure. I am actually ready to pay more for a better standard of accommodation IF IT IS WORTH IT. Absolute rock bottom seldom offers the best value. I used to stay out at White Beach at Asian Belgian. Nice bungalow obviously a good setting. Quite expensive at 1000 for the fan ones but because of the setting I was ready to pay it. Then they upped the price to 1200. I thought that 1000 was quite enough as it was and that 1200 was too much so guess what happened. I stopped staying there.

and im guessing that the owners were quite happy about you not staying anymore

• Like 2

udonthani

once again you are spectacularly wrong. I called in there for a beer in December. The owner remembered me even though I hadn't stayed there or visited since 2008 and was friendly enough. Though I didn't mention that when he increased the price the year after that was a reason I hadn't bothered to return and instead spent my money somewhere else ever since. I looked at the menu but didn't buy any food. Once again, the food is too expensive. It's just not worth the money to buy any of it. It's not good enough to justify the prices he charges not that he isn't entitled to charge whatever the hell he wants. He would have absolutely no reason to have anything against me at all. Unlike a lot of cheapskates in Moalboal, including one or two real bone idle saddos staying at Rosita's on pathetic pensions who give Ramon the run around paying their bills who you might have thought would know that an income of about 25,000 means that you can't afford to stay somewhere where the rent is 15,000, I always pay up totally 100% straight with no funny stuff. And if I don't buy anything, that doesn't mean I'm cheap. It's just means that I don't like paying over the odds.

enoonmai

a friend said he never pays for sex with any woman in any country; he just pays them to go home.

Although slightly paraphrased, your friend is quoting Charlie Sheen. 

liquido

Correct, a friend said he never pays for sex with any woman in any country; he just pays them to go home. Cos sure as hell they don't leave if you don't pay!!!

Thats a quote from Charlie Sheen..He was asked why does he pay for sex? He said " I not pay for sex I just pay them to leave"

Bill H

I'm not a diver

Exactly, so best you stick to subjects you know something about and shut up and listen about topics of which you are clueless (which I suspect are many).  We would all be better off.

• Like 4

thebob

aircon is just not necessary. If you need aircon in a place like Pangsama beach you have no business being in the Philippines at all really. The climate is not for you.

This is a very interesting post. Many people on holiday want more than just "necessities". I think that if you don't like the prices charged, you have no business being in PH. 

I know what busy tourist places actually are and what they feel like. I have worked in Tenerife. When it was busy there you knew about it. It was like being on a heaving trading floor. Not only have I never seen Moalboal really busy, but I have never even met anybody who has seen it busy.  The restaurants on the strip are usually almost totally empty.. It didn't even have a foreign ATM until recently and even now the foreign exchange facilities are terrible. How pathetic is that for somewhere that is supposedly marketing itself as an international tourism destination.

It seems to totally confuse you that the "village" atmosphere is one of the attractions of a place like Moalboal. The charm of the place is that it is different from many of the places that you hold up as a gold standard of tourism.

Surely you "have no business" going to a place like Moalboal if you feel that it doesn't reach your obviously high standards.

It's probably not even one of the very best diving places in the Philippines.

This is just an uninformed statement.

• Like 3

hyaku

I used to live there. Diving is great off season unless you want a few fins in the face. Marcosa is great. Take a German dictionary with you. Most of the guys there come through Magellan Tours (Germany) and are there for the diving. Go to Planet Action but not too late as they are rather spaced out on "stuff'. Dont stay Saturdays unless you like the Disco. If you intend going there its fine. Forget any ideas of sleeping with a disco vibrating your cottage. Went and lived there for years! Moved away when I retired for something a little more "peaceful"

• Like 1

Guy60417

Take a German dictionary with you. Most of the guys there come through Magellan Tours (Germany) and are there for the diving.

That may explain why my instructor at Blue Abyss was German, and why their pricing is in Euros. But I didn't need a German dictionary -- his English was near-perfect.

• Like 1

udonthani

This is a very interesting post. Many people on holiday want more than just "necessities". I think that if you don't like the prices charged, you have no business being in PH. 

I'm sure plenty of other people have noticed that the Philippines tourist industry tends to supply accommodatioin that has amenities like airconditioning that are not necessary to many customers and that consequently they levy prices that are 50% or more higher than their competitors. This is one of the reasons why hardly any tourists visit the Philippines compared to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. They check it out online and in guide books and wonder what the hell they are playing at. If you want a 'village' atmostphere to go with your diving holiday, then go to Malapascua or Padre Burgos or similar. Not a place like Panagsama beach that has plenty of capacity and would not feel like a 'village' if it was busy and full to the brim. It only feels like a village because it is almost always at least half empty.

Edited by udonthani

jigsy

Just back from a night at Serena and a day at the Kawasan falls with my family. Serena not what it was but still a great location.

As regards diving, the reef at White beach is amazing. Although not protected, it is thriving and offers some of the best snorkeling I have come across. I am sure it offers a great wall dive too.

• Like 3

udonthani

Panagasma is just like Dahab in Sinai, Egypt. Unbelievable coral and snorkelling which they based the development on. Once upon a time, Dahab used to be a village. A very quiet place. However it is not a little sleepy village anymore. They built all these big hotels there for foreigners to come. So now it is this international tourist destination. Panagsama has developed too however there are so few tourists that bother to turn up, you do wonder whether it was actually worth it.

Wolfpack

Panagasma is just like Dahab in Sinai, Egypt. Unbelievable coral and snorkelling which they based the development on. Once upon a time, Dahab used to be a village. A very quiet place. However it is not a little sleepy village anymore. They built all these big hotels there for foreigners to come. So now it is this international tourist destination. Panagsama has developed too however there are so few tourists that bother to turn up, you do wonder whether it was actually worth it.

no, it is really not...you could not be further off base...I cannot begin to imagine why in the world you are responding to my post

towboat72

no, it is really not...you could not be further off base...I cannot begin to imagine why in the world you are responding to my post

if you are on these forum pages long enough you will learn that  undonthani is just never wrong (even when he is ) he kno every thing has been every where and done every thing better then any one else ever has AND done it all on P 10.

that my thinking.