Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Marcosas Seaside Cottage (Moalboal)

udonthani

lets face it. Moalboal is definitely not an upmarket tourist destination and neither is it busy at all. There would be even more 500 peso freelance hookers floating around the strip than there are, not to mention the waitress girls in the restos who double, if the place ever attracted an appreciable amount of people. I've been going there for years now. They recognise me. Everyone says that business is shit when compared to before when even then it wasn't that good.The visitor numbers are just low. Not enough people.

I'm perfectly happy with the place I rent in Moalboal. It has plenty of space, has a seperate bedroom away from the fully equipped kitchen with free gas, and and a large cable tv television set. With an outside area with a table where you can eat your meals and hang out your laundry on the line. No sea view but you are only meters away from it.  If you want to get out to the reef to snorkel, you'll be there in 5 minutes.

and all for 700 pesos. Which is what is what it is worth. Not a centavo more or less.

Wolfpack

lets face it. Moalboal is definitely not an upmarket tourist destination and neither is it busy at all. There would be even more 500 peso freelance hookers floating around the strip than there are, not to mention the waitress girls in the restos who double, if the place ever attracted an appreciable amount of people. I've been going there for years now. They recognise me. Everyone says that business is shit when compared to before when even then it wasn't that good.The visitor numbers are just low. Not enough people.

I'm perfectly happy with the place I rent in Moalboal. It has plenty of space, has a seperate bedroom away from the fully equipped kitchen with free gas, and and a large cable tv television set. With an outside area with a table where you can eat your meals and hang out your laundry on the line. No sea view but you are only meters away from it.  If you want to get out to the reef to snorkel, you'll be there in 5 minutes.

and all for 700 pesos. Which is what is what it is worth. Not a centavo more or less.

The people I met in Moalboal, were NOT looking for freelance hookers...so I can certainly understand WHY their are not more of them floating around (which I consider a GOOD thing)

during BOTH of my visits to Marcosas...they had plenty of customers...most if not all were there for diving...during the day, the poolside was full of people...when I went on a tour with Planet Action Adventure...over 20 people were on that tour, at 2000 pesos a pop, I do not think the people at Planet Action Adventure are gonna tell you business is "shitty"

At night, "The Last Filling Station" was packed with as many people could fill the tables and bar stools...although I can say, the place directly across from them had few customers...so people clearly saw more value in eating at "The Last Filling Station"

My experience is an affordable, clean, family environment...We have stayed at Blue Water Resort in Lapu Lapu the previous years...and I can honestly say...our experience in Moalboal was BETTER...and at fraction of the price...

and talk about nice people...there was a kids birthday party near by...a little girl was sharing her candy from her party with my 2 year old son...it was the cutest thing in the world...an act random of kindness!!!

• Like 4

thebob

I don't think that you realize what Moalboal has to offer. Of course Cheap Charlies are told by vendors that business is bad, staff always say they are on low wages as well. There are very few hookers in Moalboal, because it is such a popular ex-pat destination. Many girls go there to find foreign boyfriends, that is also why it is so difficult to keep staff.

Business is booming, and the amount of people building their own houses is quite remarkable considering the global economy.

Panagsama vendors remember everyone. It is part of the charm of the place.

As for Moalboal not being upmarket, I don't think you have noticed the larger resorts, or visited those off Panagsama beach.

Udonthani, I've always thought highly of your reports of different destinations, unfortunately your impressions of places I know well are so different to mine because of your frugality.

Saying that your room for 700 pesos" is what is what it is worth. Not a centavo more or less." shows naivety, not to mention arrogance.

• Like 7

udonthani

that is the level of accommodation that you should be getting for 700 pesos a night and I always stay in places that offer value for money. It doesn't matter if they cost 700 pesos a night or 7000. If you don't offer value for money, see you later. Even wealthy people won't pay out their hard earned money - which they didn't get hold of by paying over the odds - on overpriced crap.

Durham

We are planning a few days away from Cebu City with the kids but we have a Golden Retriever does anyone know where we can stay with the dog?

Wolfpack

We are planning a few days away from Cebu City with the kids but we have a Golden Retriever does anyone know where we can stay with the dog?

I do not think you would have a problem staying at Marcosas with a dog...

HeyMike

My wife and I are leaving for Panagsama (Moalboal) in a few hours for a 5 day stay. We go there twice a year. Obviously, we like it there very much. We stay at a place called Rosita's; no pool, but nice cottages with 1 bedroom, aircon, cable tv, full kitchen (a must for us), and free internet. Cost 1000p a night.

It is close to Maya's, where we sometimes eat and have a few drinks.  

*edit: my wife just told me that they allow pets at Rosita's.

Edited by HeyMike
  • Like 2

Peter C

at Eve's Kiosk in Moalboal the owner let his own dogs run between the cottages, including German shepherd. 

• Like 1

udonthani

My wife and I are leaving for Panagsama (Moalboal) in a few hours for a 5 day stay. We go there twice a year. Obviously, we like it there very much. We stay at a place called Rosita's; no pool, but nice cottages with 1 bedroom, aircon, cable tv, full kitchen (a must for us), and free internet. Cost 1000p a night.

its 1000 with the aircon which is not necessary. Without it, Ramon charges 700. For that you get a proper apartment with kitchen double bedroom, porch and tv.  Perfectly adequate accommoation and right in front of a beach where you can be out snorkelling on the reef in 5 minutes. If you want to swim in a swimming pool just go to the Sunshine Pension House and buy a meal and you can swim in their pool all day. They also sell rooms but dingier than Rosita's and with no amenity like a tv for 800. You, like me who spent about 3 weeks there in two seperate visits in the past few months obviously like it there at Rosita's. Perhaps everyone will think that you are a cheapskate too because you don't consider it necessary to stay in obviously overpriced accommodation in a place like Moalboal which is for Cebu a frontline tourist destination but where occupancy rates are relatively low and many places are struggling for deals.

Wolfpack

I do not see a website for Rosita's...if they have air conditioning...it is something I would like to know more about and visit...do you have additional information about how to find this place?

Wolfpack

I know several place's that serve dogs!!! (sorry, just had to say it bahahahahahahahahaha)

udonthani

Ramon's is usually very busy and unlike places that charge 1500 for the same level of amenities which everyone except totall greenhorns know are a rip off and thus avoid is likely to be full. He was building some new units though to keep up with demand. A lot of permanents and semi permanents. One couple apparently stayed there for six years. A mate of mine was staying there for three months, he paid a monthly rate much lower than the 700 daily rate. He didn't think airconditioning necessary either. It's in the province and right on the sea. You don't need it.

Bill H

that is the level of accommodation that you should be getting for 700 pesos a night and I always stay in places that offer value for money. It doesn't matter if they cost 700 pesos a night or 7000. If you don't offer value for money, see you later. Even wealthy people won't pay out their hard earned money - which they didn't get hold of by paying over the odds - on overpriced crap.

I'm in my 3rd year in MB and it's a nice place.  The tourist season is ...... seasonal!  The summer months are typically slow, but it starts picking up in late August.  This year the weather was just plain snotty all fall.  No one to blame for that.  Udonthani is just a cheap Charlie.  He always goes for cheap but I don't think he is typical of most of the tourists here.  As much as it shocks me to say so, I'm wholly in agreement with the Bob on this topic.  There are not so many hookers because most of the girls do it for free in the hopes of landing a husband or at least long term bf.

We do have some fairly attractive lady boy hookers.  Maybe you can score them for 500p I wouldn't know about that but I'm betting Udonthani probably does.

• Like 4

thebob

Today was a hot one. A/C makes it really nice for a noon time snooze on a day like today.

Rositas and Vivians in Panagsama south are quite busy at the moment but there are similar in the North end, just off the beach. Steve in Anthony's often lets his sea front rooms with A/C go for 500 or so if he doesn't have bookings.

Fixing the price of a room at "such and such" wouldn't make much sense in Moalboal. It is better to let a room, than let it go empty. That doesn't apply to resorts who are selling atmosphere.

• Like 1