Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Marcosas Seaside Cottage (Moalboal)

Wolfpack

I stayed at Marcosas Cottages in Moalboal twice...they have several different types of cottages...their Seaside Cottage IMO the best value...about 2200 pesos per night...they only have 2 of these Seaside Cottages...so reservations in advance highly recomended...

Marcosas has a small swimming pool...and Kawasan Falls and White Beach are a tricycle ride away...

I do NOT recommend Marcosas Resteraunt...the Seaside cottage does have a stove, fridge and cooking supplies...my second trip there, I brought my own food and cooked myself...

A resteraunt called "The Last Filling Station" is close by and has great pretzels (but you can only get them after 6 PM and should order them in the morning to be sure they are available for you)..."The Last Filling Station" also has good pizza made in a brick oven...this resteraunt is very price friendly

Planet Action Adventure is next to "The Last Filling Station" and offers awesome adventures like "canyoning", "river climbing" and "biking"

Marcosas is basically within a diving community...it is NOT for nightlife...although they do have an outdoor disco Saturday Nights that attracts alot of people for a province

thebob

If you walk past the disco (Pacitas) you get to the nightlife area in Panagsama. You will find Chili bar, Seven Sins bar and lots of restos.

Action Adventure must be the only "Eco tour" place that moves it's customers around in a smoke belching diesel truck!

Hope you enjoyed Moalboal.

In lonsod, the town proper, many ex-pats hang out in Sun Yangs. It is a carenderia with roasting chickens in the front, on the right side of the market. It is a hang out place to wait while wives and girlfriends do the shopping. It is a great place to get local information.

Traveling back towards Alacantara, just past the Petron station on the right is Amigos, it is a local pizza place but they serve Fish and chips for 58 pesos. The portions are small so I usually also have their lasagna as well, which is also cheap but I've forgotten the price. Potato salad is 48 pesos.

Halfway along the road between Panagsama and Moalboal is Food Stop. It is run by 2 Swedish chiefs and they have a great selection of local and asian fare and imported beers. It's worth a stop.

My favorite resto is owned by my GF, so I can't talk about it because I am biased!

• Like 5

udonthani

these are very high prices to pay for Moalboal which is one place where there competition keeps prices down. The Sunshine Pension House has a pool and sells rooms for 800. I stay somewhere that is a proper apartment with tv, cooker and fridge for only 700 also it is only one minute's walk away from offshore snorkelling. If I was paying 2200 for a room in Moalboal it had better be something really special.

Guy60417

I took my Open Water Diver course at Blue Abyss, which is connected with Marcosa's, but I stayed at Love's. I thought Love's was pretty decent, priced 1200-1400 (I forget), and the resto was pretty good. I have to go back in a couple weeks to finish my OWD course (got interrupted by lousy weather) and I'll probably stay at Love's again or Quo Vadis.

Thanks for the info on the night-life, I'll check it out next time (I'm such a big night-life guy).

PS: I think I'll agree with Udonthani for once: 2200 seems kind of high -- unless the room is very nice.

Edited by Guy60417

Mr. Mike

Udonthani, as I understand it, you work part of the year and travel part of the year. If you can share, how many weeks do you travel annually and roughly how much do you budget for it.

• Like 1

Wolfpack

I took my Open Water Diver course at Blue Abyss, which is connected with Marcosa's, but I stayed at Love's. I thought Love's was pretty decent, priced 1200-1400 (I forget), and the resto was pretty good. I have to go back in a couple weeks to finish my OWD course (got interrupted by lousy weather) and I'll probably stay at Love's again or Quo Vadis.

Thanks for the info on the night-life, I'll check it out next time (I'm such a big night-life guy).

PS: I think I'll agree with Udonthani for once: 2200 seems kind of high -- unless the room is very nice.

I think you are missing, this is a seaside cottage...yes, it is something rather special...romantic ect.

no doubt in my mind, it is worth 2200 pesos a night...if you dont see the value...I cant spell it out for you on a family forum

thebob

I think that the range for accommodation in Moalboal is from about 50 peso a night to about 20,000 Peso per night. It is also very seasonal.

For example this weekend the beach volleyball tournament  has attracted many visitors, and national celebrities so I doubt you could find accommodation at any price. But after Holy week, low season will mean many places are empty.

People have different priorities and expect different standards. For example, a full service beach side bungalow, that is supported by online reservations and accepts credit card payment, will command a much higher price than an onsite negotiated off season monthly rental for cash.

Some people pay for convenience, and many resort owners know that a budget traveller, who haggles over every peso, can seriously annoy customers who have paid full price, and so avoid them.

I'm quite surprised that a seasoned budget traveler, with his own transport would pay 800 pesos in Moalboal. But if you are just traveling through, it's the luck of the draw.

Comparing different places is interesting, but most people justify their opinions according to their priorities, which are often very different.

• Like 2

Wolfpack

even for a seaside cottage that would be very expensive unless it had a very high level of amenities. And it is difficult to see what those amenities would be. Aircon is totally redundant, at least for me, in Moalboal. A pool on site adds value, but not all that much. Plenty of places manage to offer rooms for less than 1000 while maintaining a swimming pool on site including the Sunshine Pension in Moalboal.  I was staying in a newly built (literally the previous week) bungalow right on a white sand beach, much superior to any beach near Moalboal including the so-called White Beach with a tv in it, a very romantic spot indeed, on the Camotes for 800. And even 800 is more money than you would pay for a similar beachside bungalow only meters from the surf in Thailand.

800 does not sound like a place with air conditioning...correct me if I am wrong...

I met someone at "The Last Filling Station", he showed me where he was staying for 500 pesos...no A/C, but he was given a fan to use, lol...he was a random traveller that was teacher english in Korea...the place was not secure at all...I would not have paid to stay at that place at any price...not even if it was free

Wolfpack

I think that the range for accommodation in Moalboal is from about 50 peso a night to about 20,000 Peso per night. It is also very seasonal.

For example this weekend the beach volleyball tournament  has attracted many visitors, and national celebrities so I doubt you could find accommodation at any price. But after Holy week, low season will mean many places are empty.

People have different priorities and expect different standards. For example, a full service beach side bungalow, that is supported by online reservations and accepts credit card payment, will command a much higher price than an onsite negotiated off season monthly rental for cash.

Some people pay for convenience, and many resort owners know that a budget traveller, who haggles over every peso, can seriously annoy customers who have paid full price, and so avoid them.

I'm quite surprised that a seasoned budget traveler, with his own transport would pay 800 pesos in Moalboal. But if you are just traveling through, it's the luck of the draw.

Comparing different places is interesting, but most people justify their opinions according to their priorities, which are often very different.

This post was telling people something I enjoyed, and found value in...I think making negative posts about my experience makes it confusing to others...and is misleading to say the very least...

I felt safe and secure where I stayed...it was clean...I shared the experience because it was a good experience...and I felt other may like to have a similar good experience...

• Like 3

thebob

This post was telling people something I enjoyed, and found value in...I think making negative posts about my experience makes it confusing to others...and is misleading to say the very least...

I felt safe and secure where I stayed...it was clean...I shared the experience because it was a good experience...and I felt other may like to have a similar good experience...

I totally agree with you. One mans heaven is another mans hell. Marcossas beach side cottages are great value in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Guy60417

I think you are missing, this is a seaside cottage...yes, it is something rather special...romantic ect.

As I said in my post, it could be worth it, if it was very nice. You thought it was, so that made it worth it for you.

I'll be going to Moalboal alone :( so the romantic aspect doesn't help me out, unfortunately.

thebob

I think that the only test of resort being overpriced is if it stays in business. Marcosas has been operating for many years.

Just because you consider A/C to be unnecessary, doesn't mean that the rest of the clientele agrees with you.

• Like 6

Guy60417

it's always a dead giveaway a resort is overpriced when there is no non aircon accommodation available. It's a bit stupid too as airconditioned accommodation is not required for a substantial number of the guests.

Could be, but I think a good case could be made that it's a very smart move, since they may be reasoning that the sort of customers who would be attracted to 800 peso fan rooms might be viewed as undesirables by the customers of the more upscale rooms.

If the presence of the cheap charlies drove away the big spenders (who most likely provide a higher profit margin and spend more in the restaurant) then it could be disastrous to allow them in.

• Like 1

udonthani

it's not as if it's all that unusual for people not to want airconditioning. A substantial number of people do not need it and I know from experience many vendors, including where I stay in Moalboal, are used to levying a lower fee from customers who do not need it and therefore do not want to pay for it. Sometimes they disable the unit. Other times they trust you not to use it.

Just because you consider A/C to be unnecessary, doesn't mean that the rest of the clientele agrees with you.

Wolfpack

Could be, but I think a good case could be made that it's a very smart move, since they may be reasoning that the sort of customers who would be attracted to 800 peso fan rooms might be viewed as undesirables by the customers of the more upscale rooms.

If the presence of the cheap charlies drove away the big spenders (who most likely provide a higher profit margin and spend more in the restaurant) then it could be disastrous to allow them in.

There is such a thing as TOO cheap...great point about the "cheap charlies"...

When it comes to places I am going to take my wife...I am not looking for hotels, cottages for 800 pesos a night...yikes, what would my wife think, I think of her...a cheap date?

Even if you travel by yourself...what kind of girl would you take to a 800 pesos place if you got lucky? I wouldn't WANT a girl that was o.k. with a 800 peso room!!!

• Like 2