Sign in to follow this  
tomaw

Filipina wife with American or Dual Citizenship living in The Philippines: Visa Payments?

tomaw

When we move to The Philippines my Filipina Wife will likely be either an American Citizen or have Dual Citizenship. How will either effect her Visa status when we permanently move there? Will she have to make visa payments same as me?

• Like 1

smokey

i dont think she does but i dont think a dual citz. is a one day thing its i heard an application process and you have to think of her status before you start buying property as a FIL am she is only allowed to own i think 1,000 sq meters i might be wrong 

SkyMan

I don't think naturalizing US citz are required to give up their old citz anymore.  Therefore she will be dual and she won't need any visa since she's a citz.

• Like 2

CardiacKid

When we move to The Philippines my Filipina Wife will likely be either an American Citizen or have Dual Citizenship. How will either effect her Visa status when we permanently move there? Will she have to make visa payments same as me?

If she is an American citizen only, she will have to make visa payments. Details on dual citizenship can be found here  http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-dual.htm  :link:

philippineslosangeles.jpg RETURN TO MAIN PAGE  |  CONSULATES IN THE U.S.   DUAL CITIZENSHIP    

CITIZENSHIP RETENTION AND RE-ACQUISITION ACT OF 2003 (R.A. 9225)

REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES IN ACCORDANCE WITH M.C. NO. AFF-05-002 ISSUED BY THE PHILIPPINE BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION

1.  What is Republic Act 9225?

2.  Who are qualified to apply under the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003?

3.  How does one prove that he or she is a natural-born Filipino?

4.  Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am in the Philippines?

5.  Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am overseas?

6.  What is the procedure in applying and what documents are required in order to apply?

7.  Copy of Republic Act no. 9225

8.  Primer on Dual Citizenship

9.  Will my application for dual citizenship under R.A. 9225 affect my U.S. citizenship?

10.  Application Form in jpeg format (front | back) or in pdf format (front | back)

11.  Helpful Links

Philippine Bureau of Immigration http://immigration.gov.ph/

Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs http://dfa.gov.ph/main/

U.S. Department of State http://www.state.gov/

12. Contact the Consulate (Attn: Dual Citizenship Section)

REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES IN ACCORDANCE WITH

M.C. NO. AFF. 05-002 ISSUED BY THE PHILIPPINE BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION

What is Republic Act No. 9225?

Republic Act No. 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 declares that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship.

Who are qualified to apply under the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003?

Only natural-born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country may retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship under this Act. 

RA 9225 does not apply to dual citizens, i.e., those who have both Philippine as well as foreign citizenship not acquired through naturalization.

“..Natural –born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country are hereby deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic.” (Section 3, RA 9225)

How does one prove that he or she is a natural-born Filipino?

A former natural-born citizen, who was born in the Philippines, shall submit the NSO-authenticated copy of his or her birth certificate.

A former natural-born citizen, who was born abroad, shall present a copy of the Report of Birth issued by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate and, in applicable cases, the original copy of the Birth Certificate by competent foreign authorities.

Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am in the Philippines?

A former natural-born Filipino citizen who is already in the Philippines and registered in the Bureau of Immigration shall file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of the Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and issuance of an Identification Certificate (IC) as the case may be, under RA 9225.

A former natural-born citizen who is already in the Philippines but has not registered with the BI within 60 days from date of arrival shall file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the issuance of an IC under RA 9225.

Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am overseas?

A former natural-born citizen who is abroad but is a BI-registered alien shall file a petition under oath to the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate for evaluation. Thereafter, the Embassy or Consulate shall forward the entire records to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of the ACR and issuance of an IC under RA 9225.

A former natural-born citizen who is abroad and is not a BI-registered alien shall file a petition under oath to the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate for the issuance of an IC under RA 9225.

Will my application for dual citizenship under R.A. 9225 affect my U.S. citizenship?

Prospective applicants for dual citizenship under R.A. 9225 are advised to visit and read the contents of http://www.travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html, the website of the U.S. Department of State which contains information about current U.S. government policy on dual nationality, or to seek legal advice from a U.S. immigration lawyer.

Contact Details:

PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL

Attn:  Dual Citizenship Section

600 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 500, Los Ang

eles, CA 90010

Tel: 213 637 3025 | Fax: 213 639 0990

E-mail: [email protected] 

Website: www.philippineconsulatela.org | www.philippineslosangeles.org

I copied and pasted the page if the link doesn't work. I believe that L A is the closest to you. 
  • Like 1

Nangulo

If she's a dual citizen, enter the country using her PI passport and there are NO visa issues for her.  However, if you leave, she will have to pay a travel tax.

Enter the country using her US passport, and she (and you) are balikbayan and good for 1 year visa with no other requirements.  Leave the country and there is no travel tax to pay.

Dual citizenship process is not hard.  We did one from Florida and had to travel to Washington, DC, for the swearing-in.  Just a bunch of paperwork and waiting, like everything else.

Edited by Nangulo
  • Like 1

Lee

If you do not mind leaving once a year then that is the free way to stay under the balikbayan privilege. Otherwise if she still has a valid Philippine passport then it is probably best if she applies for a 13a at your nearest Philippine embassy for you before you leave the US and she enters the Philippines using both passports and you enter with your 13a. 

• Like 1

slim

if she's become american citizen,,, and you two well reside in philippines you can't get a 13a visa, she has to be a dual citizen for you to get a 13A. once shes a dual and have a valid american and philippines  passport she dont have to worry about visa,, she can stay in philippines as much as she want...

• Like 2

tomaw

i dont think she does but i dont think a dual citz. is a one day thing its i heard an application process and you have to think of her status before you start buying property as a FIL am she is only allowed to own i think 1,000 sq meters i might be wrong

......... That was going to be my next question. For that reason it might be best to buy land in her name while she's still just a Philippine citizen. Later on though our wives need to be American ciitizens to get Social Security benifits as well as the widow's benifit if living in The Philippines. From what I got from another thread, if our wives live in and work in The U.S. they get the full SS Benifits including the widow's benifit weather they are U.S. citizens or not. But if living in The Philippines without U.S. Citizenship they get nothing. Edited by tomaw

smokey

......... That was going to be mt next question. For that reason it might be hest to buy land in her name while still just a Philippine citizen. Later on tough our wives to to be American ciitizens to get Social Security beifits as well as the widow's benifit. From what I got from another thread if our wives live in and work in The U.S. they get the SS Benifits including the widow's benifit if living in The U.S. regard

my wife was helping a Fil Am who was trying to get duel citz. done he said he was having a problem with the title part of buying a larger piece of land and was advised to wait till his paperwork was done and i dont know why but it took him over 1 year for his and his wife to get their duel citz stuff settled there was something about a Returning citz was restricted on how much land they could own or something like that...  As far as Benefits you need a SSN to collect SSN so she better keep both her citz up to date

• Like 1

tomaw

If she is an American citizen only, she will have to make visa payments. Details on dual citizenship can be found here http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-dual.htm :link:philippineslosangeles.jpg RETURN TO MAIN PAGE | CONSULATES IN THE U.S. DUAL CITIZENSHIP

REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES IN ACCORDANCE WITH M.C. NO. AFF-05-002 ISSUED BY THE PHILIPPINE BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION

1. What is Republic Act 9225?

2. Who are qualified to apply under the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003?

3. How does one prove that he or she is a natural-born Filipino?

4. Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am in the Philippines?

5. Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am overseas?

6. What is the procedure in applying and what documents are required in order to apply?

7. Copy of Republic Act no. 9225

8. Primer on Dual Citizenship

9. Will my application for dual citizenship under R.A. 9225 affect my U.S. citizenship?

10. Application Form in jpeg format (front | back) or in pdf format (front | back)

11. Helpful Links

Philippine Bureau of Immigration http://immigration.gov.ph/

Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs http://dfa.gov.ph/main/

U.S. Department of State http://www.state.gov/

12. Contact the Consulate (Attn: Dual Citizenship Section)

REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES IN ACCORDANCE WITH

M.C. NO. AFF. 05-002 ISSUED BY THE PHILIPPINE BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION

What is Republic Act No. 9225?

Republic Act No. 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 declares that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship.

Who are qualified to apply under the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003?

Only natural-born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country may retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship under this Act.

RA 9225 does not apply to dual citizens, i.e., those who have both Philippine as well as foreign citizenship not acquired through naturalization.

“..Natural –born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country are hereby deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic.” (Section 3, RA 9225)

How does one prove that he or she is a natural-born Filipino?

A former natural-born citizen, who was born in the Philippines, shall submit the NSO-authenticated copy of his or her birth certificate.

A former natural-born citizen, who was born abroad, shall present a copy of the Report of Birth issued by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate and, in applicable cases, the original copy of the Birth Certificate by competent foreign authorities.

Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am in the Philippines?

A former natural-born Filipino citizen who is already in the Philippines and registered in the Bureau of Immigration shall file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of the Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and issuance of an Identification Certificate (IC) as the case may be, under RA 9225.

A former natural-born citizen who is already in the Philippines but has not registered with the BI within 60 days from date of arrival shall file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the issuance of an IC under RA 9225.

Where do I apply for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship if I am overseas?

A former natural-born citizen who is abroad but is a BI-registered alien shall file a petition under oath to the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate for evaluation. Thereafter, the Embassy or Consulate shall forward the entire records to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of the ACR and issuance of an IC under RA 9225.

A former natural-born citizen who is abroad and is not a BI-registered alien shall file a petition under oath to the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate for the issuance of an IC under RA 9225.

Will my application for dual citizenship under R.A. 9225 affect my U.S. citizenship?

Prospective applicants for dual citizenship under R.A. 9225 are advised to visit and read the contents of http://www.travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html, the website of the U.S. Department of State which contains information about current U.S. government policy on dual nationality, or to seek legal advice from a U.S. immigration lawyer.

Contact Details:

PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL

Attn: Dual Citizenship Section

600 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 500, Los Ang

eles, CA 90010

Tel: 213 637 3025 | Fax: 213 639 0990

E-mail: [email protected]

Website: www.philippineconsulatela.org | www.philippineslosangeles.org

I copied and pasted the page if the link doesn't work. I believe that L A is the closest to you.

........ Thanks for all that information. Nice not to have to dig for it now.

SkyMan

Quite a range of answers here and I don't claim any experience or expertise on this.  I would suggest checking with US immigration to find out if she will lose her RP citz by naturalizing in the US.  That used to be the case but I don't think it is any more.  IF that is correct simply keep her RP passport current at the embassy and apply for a 13A visa for yourself.  You will still have to do some immigration red tape when you arrive but it's faster and saves you money over waiting to get your 13A here.  Your wife, having never lost RP citz will have full privileges to buy whatever.

Paul

I don't think naturalizing US citz are required to give up their old citz anymore.

She still has to file to get her Filipino citizenship back.

CardiacKid

Look in the archives for a post 

13G NON-QUOTA IMMIGRANT VISA
Started by NOSOCALPINOYMar 01 2010 11:29 PM

made on March 01 2010 in  New Resident, Tourist & Visitor Information

Passports, Visas, Permits & Immigration Information     for info on the 13G Visa. It gives you all you need. Also, that info posted on Social Security benefits is incorrect. Your wife has to be in the U.S. for five (5) years to qualify to draw SS on your account. Since you're there, call the SS office nearest you to get the most up to date info. Don't trust anyone on a Forum to  provide onfo wothout a reference on such a vital issue. That includes me, BTW. I'm too stupid to find the post number.

• Like 1

tomaw

I don't think naturalizing US citz are required to give up their old citz anymore. Therefore she will be dual and she won't need any visa since she's a citz.

....... Thanks. I'd like to believe that. My wife's friend just recently got her American citizenship. We will check with her and see if dual citizenship was automatic.

tomaw

If she's a dual citizen, enter the country using her PI passport and there are NO visa issues for her. However, if you leave, she will have to pay a travel tax.

Enter the country using her US passport, and she (and you) are balikbayan and good for 1 year visa with no other requirements. Leave the country and there is no travel tax to pay.

Dual citizenship process is not hard. We did one from Florida and had to travel to Washington, DC, for the swearing-in. Just a bunch of paperwork and waiting, like everything else.

.......... Thanks. Does the swearing-in have to be done in Wahington D.C? We live in Los Angeles Caifornia.