How do you prevent tap-ins to your electric/water lines(thefts)?

questsea73

My impression from forums/newspaper estimates is that there are a great many illegal tap-ins to customers electrical service and a lesser amount of such theft to water service.

I consider this kind of theft to be akin to someone siphoning gas/diesel out of the gas tank of my personal vehicle parked in front of my house or in driveway, although PI electric companies seem to be more philosophical about it as they just keep on billing customers on their hooked up list without seemingly taking any action to stop it.

This is especially  burdensome to the victim since the cost of electricity in PI is so high.

Are there any effective methods especially with the electricity to prevent or immediately realize you are being victimized?

It surprises me I haven't read about any gas siphoning from vehicles with gas... also much more expensive in PI than USA.  Wonder if gas cap locks are available for Corollas?  Only time I had one was in Germany to put on my Mercedes 230SL shipping back from Hamburg to Baltimore; guess what, when the car arrived the cap had been stolen and a rag was stuffed in the gas fill tube to replace it.

Ken

smokey

Just think of life as one big Jerry Springer show and dont try to make sense fo it and you will do fine...... personally no matter what you do the electric company will still charge you its called system loss.. and as to the car worry about them taking the car and not bothering with the gas and never park at night on the street

• Like 1
The professor

I would think that to stop the offenders in question, when you find an extra line on your system, disconnect your electricity line and feed in a rather large and boosted power spike along the line to the thief and thus destroy all their equipment. Then you might or might not tell them or locals, what you did to stop the theft. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1
smokey

I would think that to stop the offenders in question, when you find an extra line on your system, disconnect your electricity line and feed in a rather large and boosted power spike along the line to the thief and thus destroy all their equipment. Then you might or might not tell them or locals, what you did to stop the theft. Just thinking out loud.

and they they will throw large rocks at your house and destroy everything you own and they ask to have you deported and or jailed there is a huge difference between them and you ... they vote and you cant.

• Like 2
Woolf

http://www.veco.com.ph/page.html?main=clients&sub1=your%20bill&sub2=unbundled%20rates

Systems Loss Charge
It is the electricity used up
(lost) in the distribution system for delivering power from VECO's
receiving point to the consumer's metering point. This represents both
technical and non-technical system losses. The Energy Regulatory
Commission has set this at 8.5% for private distribution utilities as
provided by Republic Act (R.A.) 7832.

Technical loss:

Loss in substations and loss in the pole transformers there is also loss in the cable/wires

Non-technical loss:

Hmm nice wording ;)

As can be seen it is 8.5 % as regulated by republic Act 7832

ozboy

Well we had some guy from Veco here as a member...he disappeared when questions like these were raised.....Just accept it as it is...

The professor

and they they will throw large rocks at your house and destroy everything you own and they ask to have you deported and or jailed there is a huge difference between them and you ... they vote and you cant.

Ah, in that case Mr. Smokey, it may be more prudent to perform the same initial action, and then tell people around that something happened with the power and it blew up many of your appliances. After a few days, roll up the wire you found connected to the system from an illegal source and take it back to where it ends, telling them that the illegal connection was probably the source of the line problem, and "do not do this again". In that scenario I would imagine that the thief would be grateful you are not taking the matter further and would tend to sway towards it being his fault.

More than one way of skinning a possum, or perhaps that is squirrel in your area. Let me know if I can assist you with any more ideas my good man. Peace.

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

How is it possible? Aren't your meters mounted to the side of your houses where wires go into the house? Anyway the way our property is setup it wouldn't be possible for either power or water to be stolen.

Woolf

Roger many places meters are installed on poles  away from the house, and it is possible to tap in after the meter, but must tapping is done before the meters.

If you suspect tapping after your meter, the only way to find out, is to flip off your main breaker and go watch the meter, if it turns something is wrong, check it that way at different times of the day.

SkyMan

Only time I had one was in Germany to put on my Mercedes 230SL shipping back from Hamburg to Baltimore; guess what, when the car arrived the cap had been stolen and a rag was stuffed in the gas fill tube to replace it.

That may have been done by the shipper.  Vehicles are supposed to be drained of gas prior to shipment.

I think some of the system loss is due to the lights on some of the poles that aren't metered.

• Like 1
Woolf

I think some of the system loss is due to the lights on some of the poles that aren't metered.

Another source of loss is meter tampering.

• Like 1
panther

well my new neighbour has just moved in opposite me ,I saw 3 guys working on the power line and buried it under his garden .guess what he,s a POLICEMAN go figure .I know for a fact its a tap in coz I saw the electric cable getting hooked up by the power company who,s workers were in uniform the week before .

throttleplate

my last 2 power bills at my hotel room for which I have lived in for the last 10 months were 177 php and 22.75 php and then 21 php,all 3 times I signed off on the monthly bill and the receptionist asked me how do I keep my electricity so low and I played dumd and said I don't use the air con anymore.Well last week they told me they were going to replace my meter as they think it is broken and I said darn I like my meter and they said I will get it back after they recalibrate it which they did and reinstalled it so now no more cheap power for me.My bills always used to run 1000 php a month,you would thimk they were smarter than this to figure it out earlier.

Edited by throttleplate
Woolf

Here 2 pictures of how they place the meters in many areas of Cebu City,

I know of Pasil, Mambalin & other areas.

This way it is impossible to tap before the meter and it is also impossible to tamper with it,

but it does not prevent stealing from each other, but makes it very hard to check it it, you can flip your main breaker off, but  how will you check if the meter is running or not.

post-6705-0-18144900-1363865237_thumb.jpg

post-6705-0-86065600-1363865269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
ed villas

Roger many places meters are installed on poles  away from the house, and it is possible to tap in after the meter, but must tapping is done before the meters.

If you suspect tapping after your meter, the only way to find out, is to flip off your main breaker and go watch the meter, if it turns something is wrong, check it that way at different times of the day.

great post woolf. here is the photo of what you described

Giants+live+here.JPG