Electrical warranty claims denied because of "unstable electricity?

questsea73

I'm wondering whether electrical item warranties(hopefully a standard there is 1 year on major items) are often rendered useless because the warranty repair provider claims damage was done by the "unstable electricity" service provided to run the appliance?

Is this companion-under-the-skin to the ((pre-existing conditions)) disclaimer used by health insurance companies to deny claims often used there to deny you a repair on your in-warranty tv/stereo/radio/air conditioner/electric toaster-range-stove/etc?

Ken

smokey

Welcome to the philippines ... warranty what is that 

Welcome to the philippines ... warranty what is that 

Some years ago the rep at Kodak HO in Metro Manila actually said, "Sir, you realise your worldwide warranty is not valid in the Philippines?"

I've had little or no success getting locally purchased items repaired or replaced under warranty, let alone items acquired abroad.  As for the OP's question, I would imagine any sign of an overload would immediately invalidate the warranty for electrical goods.  Sue your electric company.

Edited by GoHuk
The professor

Some years ago the rep at Kodak HO in Metro Manila actually said, "Sir, you realise your worldwide warranty is not valid in the Philippines?"

I've had little or no success getting locally purchased items repaired or replaced under warranty, let alone items acquired abroad.  As for the OP's question, I would imagine any sign of an overload would immediately invalidate the warranty for electrical goods.  Sue your electric company.

Yes, I've had a similar experience in another Asian country.

My friend who has lived here in Cebu many years, tells me of a time when he bought a Toshiba, 32" television set, after first establishing that the warranty was actually for 12 months, as it seems that many warranty's are not given at store level, despite the legend on the boxes. He has a hearing problem and he saw that the speaker syestem inbuilt on the unit was listed as 20 watts and written on both the packing box and the unit, so that would be sufficient to wind up the sound to his level of hearing.

Fitting it to a wall, he found that he could not hear most of the channels, even at level 100, unless he sat 6 feet away and cupped his two hands to the ears. Contacting the store owner, they activated the warranty and sent two technical staff around home. They stripped it and inspected the sound system. "Sir, there is nothing wrong sir, the two 10 watt speakers are working fine" and put it back together.

Well, technically I figure 2 x 10 watts does equal 20 watts? But at least they sent service personnel around.

ed villas

when I have had issues with such items I USED my USA issued credit card to initiate a dispute regarding products or services.

it has worked for me tho it may not work FOR others..

also know the DTI consumer rules that can help.

the retailer, some not all . have a JUST DONT CARE ATTITUDE.as they now have your $$. what can you do????

fred42

Three weeks ago I bought an AEG Jack hammer in mandaue in Belmont for about 40k..

Took the thing to Bohol and we started digging a septic tank using a neighbors power supply as we are still waiting for Boheco to give us a temporary line for construction..

After one hour of use the thing was completely fecked.

Took it back to Cebu and got lucky.. They replaced it (Brand new) after 4 hours of taking it apart and putting it back together..

They put it down to low voltage damage and told me that they will not replace the unit again,although my 6 months warranty is still valid for parts and labour.

About the only thing I can do now it wait for a half decent supply directly from a pole with a transformer and buy my self a voltage regulator.

I would definitely recommend Belmont as I never felt in those 4 hours waiting that they wouldn't send me home a happy chappy.. Well done BELMONT!!

AEG product in Europe and US are guaranteed for 3 years.. Here 6 months..  No wonder!

Edited by fred42
smokey

i had a whirlpool extended warranty on my washer and dryier .... washer broke called the 800 number and they said... yes sir not problem  send the unit back to the us and we will fix it no problem 

• Like 1
ed villas

when I have had issues with such items I USED my USA issued credit card to initiate a dispute regarding products or services.

it has worked for me tho it may not work FOR others..

also know the DTI consumer rules that can help.

the retailer, some not all . have a JUST DONT CARE ATTITUDE.as they now have your $$. what can you do????

just know your DTI rules.. that can help ..