highwinder

I  had Blue Cross an it is not the USA Blue Cross. I can't recommend it as I had difficulties with getting paid. Seems everything is classified preexisting. For emergency medical payment nothing will beat a high limit Visa or MasterCard. I had medical emergency and the credit card saved me. Some like Philhealth but it pays next to  nothing. I would plan of upfront payment as that is the norm in Philippines. If you can't pay upfront you can get in deep medical shit that can be life threating. My 2 centavos. Lived here 8 years so I am not to confused. Dave

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The professor

• Skywalker

• Headshot

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have paid for ICU and neurosurgery for the brother-in-law after a motorcycle accident and the total cost was a little over $3000 US.   No need for me to pass the hat to you or anyone else. What ma

Simply stated, the culture in RP is considerably different to what we are used to in Developed Countries.   Continued perusal of this forum (amongst others) will enlighten you to how things really w

NO one will trust you its in god we trust all others pay cash 

dc3driver

Can only speak about Velez hospital. The down payment for admission is 5000 pesos and you can use a credit card for payment. I personally don't see the point to buying insurance as everything we have encountered to date has cost less than the US copay. Private room with aircon, ref, and TV was 2000 pesos per day.

My brother in law needed to be admitted to North General & it was exactly the same. P5000 deposit & they do take credit cards.

dc3driver

Braun, who are you directing this post to? The Professor is no longer with us. Seems he wasn't who he professed to be.

Gasp, do you mean he wasn't a real professor? I'm shocked, he seemed to know in his own mind almost everything about professing.

Cannonball

Braun, who are you directing this post to? The Professor is no longer with us. Seems he wasn't who he professed to be.

Hello Headshot,

If he is gone then it's moot, I just thought he was a little thin skinned, you guys appeared to be trying to help out (at least I thought so) and tried to pass that on in my own way. But if he's gone then it no longer has importance. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I  had Blue Cross an it is not the USA Blue Cross. I can't recommend it as I had difficulties with getting paid. Seems everything is classified preexisting. For emergency medical payment nothing will beat a high limit Visa or MasterCard. I had medical emergency and the credit card saved me. Some like Philhealth but it pays next to  nothing. I would plan of upfront payment as that is the norm in Philippines. If you can't pay upfront you can get in deep medical shit that can be life threating. My 2 centavos. Lived here 8 years so I am not to confused. Dave

My experience verbatim. They wont pay. Blue Cross here is a sham. Unless you have an injury which is hard to call preexisting they will try to play the preexisting card. Instead of paying a measly hospital bill in my case and making me and my family (and probably extended family) customers for life, they get nothing but bad reports from me anytime I have the chance.

motorboy

what other companies do you recomend. I don't have a high limit credit card.

ozboy

I have said this all along n agree 100% with monsoon here....if you have an accident then hopefully you will get some sort of rebate but any medically related issue will be somehow connected to a pre-exist....so if you still want cover its best to list every single medical problem you have and see if they will cover you!!!!

If you are tucked away in some province then no amount of cover will save your life.....simply because you have no chance to get to a real hospital in a real emergency situation...

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

what other companies do you recomend. I don't have a high limit credit card.

Really, if you need a policy to sleep good at night, the only thing I would bank on would be a respected 'ex-pat' coverage that is underwritten by someone respectable. You will not find this in a Philippine owned company. I have had some policies given to me in various contract positions working abroad.  I never used them. This is not "Whats my deductible for an office visit?" kind of insurance. This is for catastrophic / major issues. It is to prevent draining your life savings if you have a serious problem while living abroad.

There is no free ride for medical care while living here. If you are lucky enough to come from a country with socialized medicine then buy yourself a very cheap medical evac plan.

tomaw

I had Blue Cross from the states and I was still required to pay a deposit. I'm pretty sure the Blue Cross you can buy here in the Philippines is NOT the same company as the one in the U.S. If you were to buy Blue Cross from the states, it's called "Blue Cross Worldwide"

........ I don't know about the ''worldwide'' part but on another thread I read that Philippine Blue Cross isn't even remotely connected to U.S. Blue Cross. I also read that a lot of Philippine Insurance companies regard everything short of getting hit by a truck as a pre-existing condition and won't pay. Edited by tomaw
mpt1947

Just out of curiosity...have you ever been to the Philippines? Have you ever been to ANY third-world country? This is a cash economy. Without cash...you die.

Or credit card

• Like 1
Headshot

Or credit card

In the Cebu Metro area, that is true. You might not be so lucky in the smaller medical centers away from the Metro area. It is amazing how many resorts don't have a credit card reader, and they deal with foreigners all the time.

mpt1947

Certainly Mr. Headshot and I have visited several countries, very briefly. I have visited here for several lengthy periods, I am here now for a future lengthy visit and I have never needed medical treatment of any kind in this country before, and touch wood, I will not need any in the future. Thankfully, even at my advanced age, I have managed a healthy and active life with healthy diets. I think this shows in my lack of medical history. But I am no expert on the subject.

I have no experience in the medical side here and unless a person does have that experience, then they, meaning I in this case, would tend to remain ignorant of the facts. Thank you for your enlightenment on impending death but gratefully, I carry an acceptable credit card at all times, and a spare within my temporary residence.

But, this topic is not about myself or my lack of knowledge on the subject the topic is about. I make only a simple observation from a humanitarian point of view. Good luck to you also sir.

I see there are further entries since I began writing a reply. Yes, thank you gentlemen for the information. It is indeed enlightening and underlines and makes bold, the first statement I made in this thread and begs the question to the Governing body here, "why do you allow your loyal citizens to suffer so?"

Please excuse my ignorance and I have now experienced your observations and views.Thank you.

I have been admitted three times to hospitals, since I have been here.  The first two times was Miller Hospital they are affiliated with Latter Day Saints and the price is pretty reasonable.  If you come in bleeding profusely you will be treated and stabilized if you can't afford to be admitted and you would have to be pretty poor, Miller will make a decision to admit the patient as a exceptional case, or send them to a public hospital.

My last time hospitalized was at Cebu Doctors. I came into the ER and my wife handled the admitting process.  I am a US Veteran and she showed them my VA ID - the hospital took care of the rest - they contacted the VA - the VA pre-approved care based on the ER Exam We still needed to pay for things like Bottle of Water, Bed Pan, rubber gloves, cotton pads and alcohol other things like that.

Total Cost of 5 day stay including 2.5 days in ICU came to about 96,000 Pesos - I paid about 5000 (that I was reimbursed) up front, the VA Paid the rest -

Even if they VA didn't cover my visit figure your bill will be in the 100,000 Pesos range - or $2500 - That is not a high $ Credit Card - just put something away for an emergency and you should be ok - you might have to pay your bills up front and then submitted them to a US Insurance company - Of course talk to US Military Retirees who have Tri Care ask them how that is working for them....

smokey

I have been admitted three times to hospitals, since I have been here.  The first two times was Miller Hospital they are affiliated with Latter Day Saints and the price is pretty reasonable.  If you come in bleeding profusely you will be treated and stabilized if you can't afford to be admitted and you would have to be pretty poor, Miller will make a decision to admit the patient as a exceptional case, or send them to a public hospital.

My last time hospitalized was at Cebu Doctors. I came into the ER and my wife handled the admitting process.  I am a US Veteran and she showed them my VA ID - the hospital took care of the rest - they contacted the VA - the VA pre-approved care based on the ER Exam We still needed to pay for things like Bottle of Water, Bed Pan, rubber gloves, cotton pads and alcohol other things like that.

Total Cost of 5 day stay including 2.5 days in ICU came to about 96,000 Pesos - I paid about 5000 (that I was reimbursed) up front, the VA Paid the rest -

Even if they VA didn't cover my visit figure your bill will be in the 100,000 Pesos range - or $2500 - That is not a high $ Credit Card - just put something away for an emergency and you should be ok - you might have to pay your bills up front and then submitted them to a US Insurance company - Of course talk to US Military Retirees who have Tri Care ask them how that is working for them....

so why would the va pay for your care in a hospital ///  i was in cebu doc for 4 days and it was 330,000 peso 

Edited by smokey