The professor

Ah, I do not understand the possible animosity here sir. I'm just clarifying possible positions. But to reply in an appropriate manner, I would simply say that most academics, from early years, have worked for peanuts before, especially in Australia.

I believe I covered your point in my earlier inclusion.

"Below is what I have recovered for the perusal of all, but, I do not see how this would help in the current existing culture"

But please continue sir. I am in learning mode today.

Edited by The professor
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The professor

• Skywalker

• Headshot

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have paid for ICU and neurosurgery for the brother-in-law after a motorcycle accident and the total cost was a little over $3000 US.   No need for me to pass the hat to you or anyone else. What ma

Simply stated, the culture in RP is considerably different to what we are used to in Developed Countries.   Continued perusal of this forum (amongst others) will enlighten you to how things really w

NO one will trust you its in god we trust all others pay cash 

Skywalker

Simply stated, the culture in RP is considerably different to what we are used to in Developed Countries.

Continued perusal of this forum (amongst others) will enlighten you to how things really work here.

Take nothing for granted.  Have a nice day.  No animosity intended.   :db:

• Like 2
smokey

Again, you are making the huge mistake of assuming that because there is a Law, that anybody will enforce it.

Do you think a professor is going to give a lecture, unless he is certain that he will be paid?

did someone tell him the law if enforced only applies to public hospitals and to local residents 

The professor

I see no mention Smokey, of the words LOCAL, FOREIGNER, ALIEN, PUBLIC and do certainly see many times repeated, the word patient. On the basis of the contents of that document, I cannot see how any medical employee could escape in a court of Law.

But of course, if you relied on the system here to do the correct thing by law, it is apparent that you may be dead mea. and we, as the effected persons in the case, would no longer be in a position to know or care about any of it. 

I really cannot see how any civilised country could possibly turn away a patient with a life threatenining condition. It cannot be correct and surely there must be a law to counter any such dispicable behaviour with peoples lifes, from a medical side.

you better belive it bec your life will depend on it no money NO service

• Like 1
Headshot

Well, Professor...we took our baby to the emergency room at Cebu Doctors Hospital in the middle of the night a few weeks ago because she was having trouble breathing. No mention of payment or deposits was ever made until it was time to leave. They gave me the bill to take to the cashier and I went there. I paid the cashier, took the receipt and release back to the emergency room, and away we went.

Truthfully, many people confuse entrance into an emergency room with actually getting treatment, which may require surgery or hospitalization. It is likely that they won't ask up front for payment for the emergency room visit, but if other actions are necessary after a diagnosis is made, that is when they will ask for money. When my wife went to the hospital to have our baby, I was asked for a deposit on admission. Then the remainder was paid when my wife and baby were released.

Hospitals are funny here, and they truly don't work the way you might think logical. What you might think is emergency care...they might see as routine procedures after diagnosis. They abide by the law on the emergency room stuff, but surgery isn't done in the emergency room. Neither are x-rays, lab tests, medications, or extended hospital stays.

The emergency room will basically check you out and diagnose the problem. Then, if their is a problem that requires more than their normal emergency room functions, you will be asked to pay something up-front. That is why people get taken to hospitals, seen by the emergency room doctors and diagnosed, and then left in a hall to die because they didn't have the funds to pay for treatment required to actually save them.

Sorry for the dose of reality, but if you think you can come to the Philippines and change the way they do things, you will have lots and lots of problems living here. This is not where you are from, and they will not appreciate your help "fixing" things that YOU perceive as wrong.

Edited by Headshot
The professor

Why thank you Headshot, although I'm a little at loss as to why you address the post in my direction and believe I was trying to change any thing here, particularly in an "active" way. My comments are more in line with what should be in a humanitarian sense, what is legislated and that it is disappointing to find criminal action is often occurring which I see is causing much unnecessary death in the country.

I am extremely glad that your baby is now fine. It must have been a real relief for you and your wife.

The points in your post seem to be mainly on non life threatening medical conditions. That your baby was having trouble breathing is dependant on how difficult the breathing was deemed to be to be included in the life threatening category. It may be that the doctor did not think so. This would negate the ACT mentioned. You talk a lot about emergency rooms but the Act is dealing with emergency and life threatening medical conditions, not emergency rooms. The rooms are merely a first treatment area usually equiped with competent doctors and equipment to save life in the short term. Most genuine life threatening cases would obviously end up in an ICU or surgery as a consequence of the condition. I believe the Act is preventing (or meant to) cases, where death is a definite strong possibility, from being treated without first depositing a required or any,  for that matter, amount.

That you talk of cases first treated in emergency then left in halls to die because of a lack of funds. Sorry to tell you this but this lack of treatment is some of the exact things meant to be dealt with in the Act. Under the Law, there is no excuse at all for allowing a patient to die under these circumstances. That is my view of the reality of the Law. The reality of the situation on the ground is a different matter and seems certain to be outside the spirit in that the law was created.

And for my dose of reality mentioned, I understand that folks are left to die criminally and understand that this is the way in the Philippines. I'm sure I am not the only person by far, to feel shame and disappointment for the people of the Philippines for this lack of care by those that should and the fear that this fact passes to the people, including visitors to this land. I have no idea again, on why you single me out for your belittling treatment but would advise you to go back to the planet whence you came as I believe the air must be rather rarified here for you.

USMC-Retired

Professor believe what you want.  The emergency room wil make you stable enough to walk out the door.  If you need further care they require a deposit.  You choose which door to exit.  The emergency room and hospital bill are seperate for this reason.  I know this my wife 7 months preg on a sat went into premature labor.  Placed in ICU and stayed in hospital 5 days.  Yet we were told go to public hospital or pay 30k deposit.  They stablized her enough to walk out the door.  It was my choice which.

The professor

Yes, USMC. I am so glad also, genuinly, that all must have ended well for you, your infirm wife and baby.

I choose now to leave this thread as posters such as you and Headshot, have it in your minds I am being controversial or something, on this subject. In fact I don't see in any of my writing where I have said I was trying to change or fix things here and causing Headshots attack on my post. I am not disputing you here but I feel you are mistaken on what I have actually written and the meaning behind it. At almost every post I have indicated the opposite of what Headshot said and what you are climbing on board with also.

I am sure that the original thread starter did not begin this to see 2 moderators start a fight with another member. I mean no contoversy and it is a pity you two are simply on a different page. I leave you two and your thoughts to you and leave this thread.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

That is not the case.  This thread is one that recycles over and over.  So our point normal is short and sometime construed as brash.  Yet for the purpose of getting our point across and not getting overly dramatic with it.   I wish I had 100 pesos that law has been posted.  I could have a nice lunch.  So my apology as I want to encourage questions not discourage them. 

ed villas

Sorry for the dose of reality, but if you think you can come to the Philippines and change the way they do things, you will have lots and lots of problems living here. This is not where you are from, and they will not appreciate your help "fixing" things that YOU perceive as wrong.

so so very true, we/you cant make THESE people change not 1,,,,,,, ing bit.. yet we can tell others of OUR good or poor experimces so they wil be aware of what lies in store for them /

jimmy once made a post/video which was his way of a wake up call of the "errors" he saw. 

I am

sure that the original thread starter did not begin this to see 2

moderators start a fight with another member.

welcome  to LINC forum, that is the way things are in THIS FORUM.  :thats-funny:

Edited by ed villas
  • 4 weeks later...
Cannonball

Hello Professor, and welcome to the forum... trust me a thick hide helps here... you will find out, some here will reply with hostile comments or remarks, but are genuinely trying to help and only meant the best... You will also find some are are just natural "Richard Craniums" and get a feeling of euphoria, by self indluged importance or power while hiding behind a screen and keyboard. Overall they aren't a bad bunch of folks though, and will try to be helpful in their own way.

With that said my personal experience with Doctors and hospitals in Cebu has been; Myself or any of my family members have never been denied medical services for lack of upfront funds. However I have always paid the entire bill upon completion of services no questions asked. I have gone lengths to establish my own network within the community... and I have paid the bill for folks that couldn't afford it. I have established relationships with several doctors and hospitals, I have insurance but never use it... But it is sound advice to have either means to pay up front if possible (if you're still coherant) or have a note and phone number of someone well known enough to be able to gaurantee payment on your behalf. Here in Cebu I don't worry but in the province it's a crap shoot, and you would find more sterile conditions on a battlefield. I have visited friends and famiy in some province hospitals, and noticed the flies were too busy with the dried blood to really bother the patience much.

Edited by Braun Reunhold
  • Like 1
Headshot

Braun, who are you directing this post to? The Professor is no longer with us. Seems he wasn't who he professed to be.

• Like 1
Skywalker

Who cares - you don't have to be a genius to realise he was clearly a dick!  Oh dear, got out of bed the wrong side this morning!