motorboy

I realized that I need to get insurance as soon as I arrive (learned this in from responses to my scooter post). Here is my question: Blue Cross appears to have a policy that will allow me to be treated without any money upfront (looks like I might need small amount for incidentals) and cost around 18,000 php for my age. Does anyone have any experience with this insurance and the no pay upfront? Is there any other insurances out there that offer this same type of coverage. I was in Mexico about 3 years ago and started bleeding internally, and went into shock. I could not imagine of trying to get cash before I sought medical help. By the way, I had no insurance In Mexico and ended up on a gurney for three days next to the nurses station, before going to a small room with 8 other dying people. Nasty experience. Don't want to got through that ever. The only upside was the 4 of the female resident docs were hot as hell and the whole deal only cost be a couple hundred bucks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The professor

• Skywalker

• Headshot

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have paid for ICU and neurosurgery for the brother-in-law after a motorcycle accident and the total cost was a little over $3000 US.   No need for me to pass the hat to you or anyone else. What ma

Simply stated, the culture in RP is considerably different to what we are used to in Developed Countries.   Continued perusal of this forum (amongst others) will enlighten you to how things really w

NO one will trust you its in god we trust all others pay cash 

enoonmai

Here is my question: Blue Cross appears to have a policy that will allow me to be treated without any money upfront (looks like I might need small amount for incidentals) and cost around 18,000 php for my age. Does anyone have any experience with this insurance and the no pay upfront?

They may treat you in the ER but you cannot count on a private hospital accepting you for admittance without a cash deposit, regardless of what the insurance company or agent tells you. I had one of the top tier BC plans; didn't matter, they wanted p30k to be admitted or go down the street to the public hospital. The credit card in my pocket probably saved my life. 

CardiacKid

I realized that I need to get insurance as soon as I arrive (learned this in from responses to my scooter post). Here is my question: Blue Cross appears to have a policy that will allow me to be treated without any money upfront (looks like I might need small amount for incidentals) and cost around 18,000 php for my age. Does anyone have any experience with this insurance and the no pay upfront? Is there any other insurances out there that offer this same type of coverage. I was in Mexico about 3 years ago and started bleeding internally, and went into shock. I could not imagine of trying to get cash before I sought medical help. By the way, I had no insurance In Mexico and ended up on a gurney for three days next to the nurses station, before going to a small room with 8 other dying people. Nasty experience. Don't want to got through that ever. The only upside was the 4 of the female resident docs were hot as hell and the whole deal only cost be a couple hundred bucks.

As enoonmai says and I said in a post earlier, a high limit credit card issued by your bank in the U.S. is your cheapest insurance that you can access emergency medical care. You do not want to be in the middle of a pissing contest between your insurance company and the hospital if you are in need of emergency care. Many insurance companies require you to obtain authorization before any treatment to be paid by them. This means trying to contact the Customer Service Rep on a weekend or holiday when they may be very slow or non responsive. 

Rocketman

I had Blue Cross from the states and I was still required to pay a deposit.  I'm pretty sure the Blue Cross you can buy here in the Philippines is NOT the same company as the one in the U.S.  If you were to buy Blue Cross from the states, it's called "Blue Cross Worldwide"

The professor

I really cannot see how any civilised country could possibly turn away a patient with a life threatenining condition. It cannot be correct and surely there must be a law to counter any such dispicable behaviour with peoples lifes, from a medical side.

smokey

NO one will trust you its in god we trust all others pay cash 

• Like 1
Headshot

I really cannot see how any civilised country could possibly turn away a patient with a life threatenining condition. It cannot be correct and surely there must be a law to counter any such dispicable behaviour with peoples lifes, from a medical side.

Just out of curiosity...have you ever been to the Philippines? Have you ever been to ANY third-world country? This is a cash economy. Without cash...you die.

RogerDuMond

Can only speak about Velez hospital. The down payment for admission is 5000 pesos and you can use a credit card for payment. I personally don't see the point to buying insurance as everything we have encountered to date has cost less than the US copay. Private room with aircon, ref, and TV was 2000 pesos per day.

• Like 1
Skywalker

I really cannot see how any civilised country could possibly turn away a patient with a life threatenining condition.

Oh dear, you really don't know how things work here do you?  By the way it's not just foreigners who have to pay up-front - I recently had to help out a Filipino friend by paying for his fathers appendectomy;  hospital refused to operate without a cash deposit.

Civilised Country?  I think you need a reality check!

• Like 1
The professor

Certainly Mr. Headshot and I have visited several countries, very briefly. I have visited here for several lengthy periods, I am here now for a future lengthy visit and I have never needed medical treatment of any kind in this country before, and touch wood, I will not need any in the future. Thankfully, even at my advanced age, I have managed a healthy and active life with healthy diets. I think this shows in my lack of medical history. But I am no expert on the subject.

I have no experience in the medical side here and unless a person does have that experience, then they, meaning I in this case, would tend to remain ignorant of the facts. Thank you for your enlightenment on impending death but gratefully, I carry an acceptable credit card at all times, and a spare within my temporary residence.

But, this topic is not about myself or my lack of knowledge on the subject the topic is about. I make only a simple observation from a humanitarian point of view. Good luck to you also sir.

I see there are further entries since I began writing a reply. Yes, thank you gentlemen for the information. It is indeed enlightening and underlines and makes bold, the first statement I made in this thread and begs the question to the Governing body here, "why do you allow your loyal citizens to suffer so?"

Please excuse my ignorance and I have now experienced your observations and views.Thank you.

Edited by The professor
Skywalker

I personally don't see the point to buying insurance

You should make enquiries about how much a stay in the ICU would cost you, the no-insurance route is a mugs game, as has been demonstrated on numberous occasions by people, who have had accidents involving vehicles, that have left them for weeks in the ICU with bills mounting.

Do what you like, but never pass the hat to me, when you get a bill you can't handle.  If you can't afford insurance for your health, you can't afford to live here.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

As already pointed out - DO NOT confuse Blue Cross here with the company familiar to most in the United States. They are NOT the same.

With that said, I have no use for them. The their employees lied to me and in the end they cheated me. The short version is I went to the ER to have something checked out, they being typical Philippine doctors saw $$$$ in their eyes and admitted me to the hospital. After 12 hours of being there I decided this was turning into a money grab and checked out. The BC rep on site called my room and said, "Sir, since you havn't been here 24 hours yet I cant arrange the payment so fast so just go ahead and pay out of pocket and we will reimburse you." I asked again, "You will reimburse 100%?" He said , "Yes sir!"

I told myself, Yea right! After weeks of telling the hospital's collection department to collect from my insurer, Blue Cross refused to pay anyone calling it a pre-existing condition. But since there was NOTHING found wrong with me, how the hell can it be a preexisting condition? The preexisting condition of NOTHING WRONG!?!?

The professor

A short search of the web has revealed some support for the Government position here. But, having seen what is written by those with experience, it appears that blatant abuse and consequently severe criminal actions, including manslaughter/murder, is a common occurence here. Totally disgraceful and a real indictment of the Govt to under enforce the written law. From 1997 I see.

Below is what I have recovered for the perusal of all, but, I do not see how this would help in the current existing culture.

Republic Act 8344
Files:     

"AN ACT PENALIZING THE REFUSAL OF HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CLINICS TO ADMINISTER APPROPRIATE INITIAL MEDICAL TREATMENT AND SUPPORT IN EMERGENCY OR SERIOUS CASES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE BATAS PAMBANSA BILANG 702, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS "AN ACT PROHIBITING THE DEMAND OF DEPOSITS OR ADVANCE PAYMENTS FOR THE CONFINEMENT OR TREATMENT OF PATIENTS IN HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CLINICS IN CERTAIN CASES"

Section 1. Section 1 of Batas Pambansa Bilang 702 is hereby amended to read as follows:

"SECTION 1. In emergency or serious cases, it shall be unlawful for any proprietor, president, director, manager or any other officer, and/or medical practitioner or employee of a hospital or medical clinic to request, solicit, demand or accept any deposit or any other form of advance payment as a prerequisite for confinement or medical treatment of a patient in such hospital or medical clinic or to refuse to administer medical treatment and support as dictated by good practice of medicine to prevent death or permanent disability: Provided, That by reason of inadequacy of the medical capabilities of the hospital or medical clinic, the attending physician may transfer the patient to a facility where the appropriate care can be given, after the patient or his next of kin consents to said transfer and after the receiving hospital or medical clinic agrees to the transfer: Provided, however, That when the patient is unconscious, incapable of giving consent and/or unaccompanied, the physician can transfer the patient even without his consent: Provided, further, That such transfer shall be done only after necessary emergency treatment and support have been administered to stabilize the patient and after it has been established that such transfer entails less risks than the patient's continued confinement: Provided, furthermore, That no hospital or clinic, after being informed of the medical indications for such transfer, shall refuse to receive the patient nor demand from the patient or his next of kin any deposit or advance payment: Provided, finally, That strict compliance with the foregoing procedure on transfer shall not be construed as a refusal made punishable by this Act."

Section 2. Section 2 of Batas Pambansa Bilang 702 is hereby deleted and in place thereof, new sections 2, 3 and 4 are added, to read as follows:

"SEC. 2. For purposes of this Act, the following definitions shall govern:

"(a) 'Emergency'- a condition or state of a patient wherein based on the objective findings of a prudent medical officer on duty for the day there is immediate danger and where delay in initial support and treatment may cause loss of life or cause permanent disability to the patient.

"(b) 'Serious case'- refers to a condition of a patient characterized by gravity or danger wherein based on the objective findings of a prudent medical officer on duty for the day when left unattended to, may cause loss of life or cause permanent disability to the patient.

"© 'Confinement'- a state of being admitted in a hospital or medical clinic for medical observation, diagnosis, testing, and treatment consistent with the capability and available facilities of the hospital or clinic.

"(d) 'Hospital' - a facility devoted primarily to the diagnosis, treatment and care of individuals suffering from illness, disease, injury or deformity, or in need of obstetrical or other medical and nursing care. It shall also be construed as any institution, building or place where there are facilities and personnel for the continued and prolonged care of patients.

"(e) 'Emergency treatment and support' - any medical or surgical measure within the capability of the hospital or medical clinic that is administered by qualified health care professionals to prevent the death or permanent disability of a patient.

"(f) 'Medical clinic'- a place in which patients can avail of medical consultation or treatment on an outpatient basis.

"(g) 'Permanent disability'- a condition of physical disability as defined under Article 192-C and Article 193-B and C of Presidential Decree No 442; as amended, otherwise known as the Labor Code of the Philippines.

"(h) 'Stabilize'- the provision of necessary care until such time that the patient may be discharged or transferred to another hospital or clinic with a reasonable probability that no physical deterioration would result from or occur during such discharge or transfer.

"SEC. 3. After the hospital or medical clinic mentioned above shall have administered medical treatment and support, it may cause the transfer of the patient to an appropriate hospital consistent with the needs of the patient, preferably to a government hospital, specially in the case of poor or indigent patients.

"SEC. 4. Any official, medical practitioner or employee of the hospital or medical clinic who violates the provisions of this Act shall, upon conviction by final judgment, be punished by imprisonment of not less than six (6) months and one (1) day but not more than two (2) years and four (4) months, or a fine of not less than Twenty thousand pesos (P20,000.00), but not more than One hundred thousand pesos (P100,000.00) or both, at the discretion of the court: Provided, however, That if such violation was committed pursuant to an established policy of the hospital or clinic or upon instruction of its management, the director or officer of such hospital or clinic responsible for the formulation and implementation of such policy shall, upon conviction by final judgment, suffer imprisonment of four (4) to six (6) years, or a fine of not less than One hundred thousand pesos (P100,000.00), but not more than Five hundred thousand pesos (P500,000.00) or both, at the discretion of the court."

Section 3. Section 3 of Batas Pambansa Bilang 702 is hereby repealed.

Section 4. Section 4 of Batas Pambansa Bilang 702 shall become Section 5 thereof and shall be amended to read as follows:

"SEC. 5. The Department of Health shall promulgate the necessary rules and regulations to carry out the provisions of this Act."

Section 5. This Act shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in two (2) national newspapers of general circulation.

Approved: August 25, 1997

RogerDuMond

You should make enquiries about how much a stay in the ICU would cost you, the no-insurance route is a mugs game, as has been demonstrated on numberous occasions by people, who have had accidents involving vehicles, that have left them for weeks in the ICU with bills mounting.

Do what you like, but never pass the hat to me, when you get a bill you can't handle.  If you can't afford insurance for your health, you can't afford to live here.

I have paid for ICU and neurosurgery for the brother-in-law after a motorcycle accident and the total cost was a little over $3000 US.

No need for me to pass the hat to you or anyone else. What makes you think that I couldn't afford insurance? I said that "I personally don't see the point to buying insurance here." My wife has insurance in The US that would reimburse, but nothing has come close to being more than the copay. The OP wasn't talking about that anyway he was talking about buying insurance here. I prefer to self insure and not because I can't afford a Philippine policy, but because I PERSONNALY consider it to be a waste of money.

• Like 2
Skywalker

Again, you are making the huge mistake of assuming that because there is a Law, that anybody will enforce it.

Do you think a professor is going to give a lecture, unless he is certain that he will be paid?