Swimming Pool Costs-Chemicals, Maintenance, Electric?

cebubird

Our home should be completed in a couple of months and am thinking to put in a small pool few months afer. Probably make it about 12'x24'x4'.

Wondering about the availability of poolsupplies, cost, etc. Also wonder with the electric here being so high, how much my bill will go up with a pump running 12-14 hours a day. In the US my pump ran 365 days a year, albeit much shorter hours in the couple of cold months

Hopefully someone on here has a pool and can address these issues for me.

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Monsoon

• cebubird

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ye have little faith. Guys who have been here a while are quite adept at getting local labor to semi reliably conduct the recurring labors that we choose not to do ourselves. I quite enjoy giving inst

Well I always took care of the maintenance myself back in the US, and I could NEVER imagine having to spend more than 45 mins one time a week doing that. Pool maintenance was a popular business, like

Lots of people waste large amounts of money on booze and cigarettes, and it kills them.Swimming is VERY good exercise! "personal choices"

Thelandofku-an

Our home should be completed in a couple of months and am thinking to put in a small pool few months afer. Probably make it about 12'x24'x4'.

Wondering about the availability of poolsupplies, cost, etc. Also wonder with the electric here being so high, how much my bill will go up with a pump running 12-14 hours a day. In the US my pump ran 365 days a year, albeit much shorter hours in the couple of cold months

Thanks in advance!!

Friends had issues with tiles detaching on pools built here, it seems plastic expansion joints at intervals cured the problem.

Go with proven track record and satisfied customers, retro fitting tiles is more costly!

Set some suitable diameter plastic tubes vertically and at least 30 cm deep and 30 cm back from the edge when casting the path around the pool in order to accept (stainless) approx 2 inch canopy poles for orchid netting (shade and catching leaves) at a later date. 

This will perhaps help to reduce your chemical costs by cleaning less often and not refilling due to repairs...

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
smokey

Thanks in advance!!

Davao has a pool at his house and a chemical company connection i think in cebu... i know for some reason chemicals seem to cost more also guess just another IMPORTED thing we have a spa and its only 300 gallon so we dont use that many chemicals...  pools cost electric and maint..

Davaoeno

Davao has a pool at his house and a chemical company connection i think in cebu... i know for some reason chemicals seem to cost more also guess just another IMPORTED thing we have a spa and its only 300 gallon so we dont use that many chemicals...  pools cost electric and maint..

I just bought dry acid yesterday.  I only get chlorine about 1x a year [ 6000]  and dry acid about 5x [ 5x900] .  The  Diatomaceous earth  isnt too expensive and lasts me forever

Reptite Industries - in Davao and in Cebu  [ contact info posted previously ]

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I paid about 5k a month for someone to clean, chlorinate and otherwise maintain my pool. He came 4 times a week.

Was always crystal clear and I bought my own test kit and whenever I tested it things were fine.

• Like 1
Headshot

Reptite Industries

130 Urgello, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines

Phone: +63(32)4187516

Also...Cujed Pools on the North Highway in Mandaue builds pools and can probably also get you the supplies.

There are other pool companies around, but those are the ones I know about so far. We won't install our pool until next year, so I'm in the same boat as you.

• Like 1
Headshot

I paid about 5k a month for someone to clean, chlorinate and otherwise maintain my pool. He came 4 times a week.

Was always crystal clear and I bought my own test kit and whenever I tested it things were fine.

Do you have any contact information you could pass along?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Do you have any contact information you could pass along?

Have his number but his coverage area was Ayala Alabang. Doubt he would go to Cebu. ::-):

Headshot

Have his number but his coverage area was Ayala Alabang. Doubt he would go to Cebu. ::-):

That's OK. I'm in Mandaue City anyway...but he might know others like himself who do the same thing. If we can have a worry-free pool for $125 a month, that would be good. If he doesn't know anybody over in my area, I will just ask them at Cujed Pools. Who knows...they might even have somebody who does that, and they aren't too far from me. PM me his phone number if you can find it. Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure there was anybody around who did that in the Cebu Metro area.

Edited by Headshot
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

That's OK. I'm in Mandaue City anyway...but he might know others like himself who do the same thing. If we can have a worry-free pool for $125 a month, that would be good. If he doesn't know anybody over in my area, I will just ask them at Cujed Pools. Who knows...they might even have somebody who does that, and they aren't too far from me. PM me his phone number if you can find it. Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure there was anybody around who did that in the Cebu Metro area.

If nothing else you can use it as a guideance. Wouldnt surprise me though if pool maintenance is one of the many things that are more expensive in cebu compared to Manila. In reality the guy spent about 45 mins most visits to vacuum and chlorinate or add acid. This neighborhood had a lot of pools and some homeowner sponsored him for a subdivision ID so he could come and go. My pool always needed the PH lowered, never raised.

My driver commented a few times about how easy his job was for the relative work vs pay. I told him to do it himself and id pay him. He never took me up on the offer. In the future I would just train a member of house staff to do it. Mainly because I like to minimize the number of people coming and going from my place. And my dog still doesn't accept people who come onto my property and pick up a big stick (ie the pool vacuum) without trying to neutralize the percived threat. Thats another story...

Buko Beach

I too am planning to build a pool. In my search for info I came across Jalkcaa pools located in Mandaue. The website looks good, but the pics of pools they posted on their website are not all built in the Philippines which means there is alot of glossy show-room crap being spread around. They tout they have awards, but that all looks pretty generic.

Visit as many pool builders as you can and ask to have references (names and numbers) to pools they built around Cebu. Don't fall in love with the pics they show you because the pool might not be in the Philippines and they sure as crap didn't build it. Go see the pools in person if you can to ask the owners questions about the builder and if they experienced any problems with the pool.

I met a foreigner at SM who has a pool in Cebu and I picked his brain about his experience. He told me that he bought the pump and sand filter in the US along with most of the fittings and included it in the container he had shipped over. His pool builder was the same guy who built his house and he mentioned everything was ok so far. I do not remember the builder as it was just in passing. He also brought over a pool timer and that helps him cycle the filter and save on veco. He showed me a few pics on his iphone and it looked like a fairly simple rectangle with a few palm trees planted around. His pool was half in the sun and the other half in the shawdow of his house. He mentioned that helps to keep the pool temps down because in the hot summer months his pool heats up and its like swimming in a warm bath.

smokey

I too am planning to build a pool. In my search for info I came across Jalkcaa pools located in Mandaue. The website looks good, but the pics of pools they posted on their website are not all built in the Philippines which means there is alot of glossy show-room crap being spread around. They tout they have awards, but that all looks pretty generic.

Visit as many pool builders as you can and ask to have references (names and numbers) to pools they built around Cebu. Don't fall in love with the pics they show you because the pool might not be in the Philippines and they sure as crap didn't build it. Go see the pools in person if you can to ask the owners questions about the builder and if they experienced any problems with the pool.

I met a foreigner at SM who has a pool in Cebu and I picked his brain about his experience. He told me that he bought the pump and sand filter in the US along with most of the fittings and included it in the container he had shipped over. His pool builder was the same guy who built his house and he mentioned everything was ok so far. I do not remember the builder as it was just in passing. He also brought over a pool timer and that helps him cycle the filter and save on veco. He showed me a few pics on his iphone and it looked like a fairly simple rectangle with a few palm trees planted around. His pool was half in the sun and the other half in the shawdow of his house. He mentioned that helps to keep the pool temps down because in the hot summer months his pool heats up and its like swimming in a warm bath.

i almost never turn on the heater in my spa and after a hot day will sit there in the cool water .... plus save electric 

samatm

So guys with poools.   is it worth it?    I mean.   My friend Jim in Dallas had pool.. Never swam in it.  Niether did his kids,  but  he says he loved it  and  it was worth the $100/month maintenance  +  utilties.. just to sit out by the  pool to smoke and drink .     I think he had a point.   Conversely,   I know several pools in our neighbor hood were burried and turned into gardens and lawns.    What say you?

udonthani

one of the Brit people I got to know in Australia three decades older than me, said that even though it was a status symbol and the kids liked it, the weather was great, etc but one of the kids also almost their lives fooling around the swim pool. They also said it was really expensive to maintain. If they had their time again. they wouldn't have bothered to spend the money on the swim pool. They'd have preferred to spend it on something else.