BossHog

My family and I live entirely off the local economy. No pension or outside income

Gotta have multiple income streams.

Copra. resto-bar, bakery, river tours, hog and chicken breeding, bird nest sales, etc.

It does work and while I don't have a "job" we are busy everyday earning money.

Hard to see how it's immoral to work your ass off to support your family.

Not all of us are on pensions.

• Like 9
Thelandofku-an

My family and I live entirely off the local economy. No pension or outside income

Gotta have multiple income streams.

Copra. resto-bar, bakery, river tours, hog and chicken breeding, bird nest sales, etc.

It does work and while I don't have a "job" we are busy everyday earning money.

Hard to see how it's immoral to work your ass off to support your family.

Not all of us are on pensions.

EXACTLY:

For most of my life in Europe I worked as a "small cog in a big wheel" employing hundreds or thousands of people.

For most of my life in Philippines it has been much the same plus my salary recycles into the local economy.

I employ people periodically, paying them the legal statute, we manage sizable properties without any staff in order to keep ourselves fit and active.

I doubt any foreigner has put any Filipino here out of business, neither have the ten million Filipino's working oversea bankrupted a foreigner there?

• Like 1
lazydays

I think m60man was just trying to purvey a simple message;

"Fail to plan, plan to fail".

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

I doubt any foreigner has put any Filipino here out of business, neither have the ten million Filipino's working oversea bankrupted a foreigner there?

What a load of crap. I ran internet cafes and put several out of business. Either they adjust to a better product or they close. Why should locals pay more for an inferior product. I offered a better service at a cheaper price. I benefited more people then I destroyed by shutting them down. I saved locals money and have them a good experience. If that is wrong well sue me. If you do that then you are a benefit to the people. I am not a charity not should anyone be. Additionally I am resident just like them. So if they fail to get it oh freaking well. You start a business to make money.

A_Simple_Man

In four years there.

After living there four years

I lived there four years,

I get the impression you believe that anyone who has only been here 3 years is not as smart as you, and anyone who has been here longer than 4 years is???  Smarter than you?  Or dumber because they did not get out after 4 years like you did.

I'm just a simple man so I won't be making money here.  I prefer to spend it.  The trick, for me, is to make the money last as long as I last.

• Like 2
ozboy

''the best laid plans of Mice and Men often go awry''   think it was Robert Burns who quoted that..

I feel that so many people both younger or older retirees to the Philippines usually build their dream away from the major cities and i would do the same..... a fact that is generally not taken into too much consideration is if what might be a simple emergency could end up tragically, simply because there is no emergency services or hospitals close enough to save their lives or their wifes or even their kids....

you cannot plan for this unless you decide to live close to the city and even then there is no guarantee that you would make it in time....but thats part of the choice one makes to live in the Philippines...

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

What a load of crap. I ran internet cafes and put several out of business. Either they adjust to a better product or they close. Why should locals pay more for an inferior product. I offered a better service at a cheaper price. I benefited more people then I destroyed by shutting them down. I saved locals money and have them a good experience. If that is wrong well sue me. If you do that then you are a benefit to the people. I am not a charity not should anyone be. Additionally I am resident just like them. So if they fail to get it oh freaking well. You start a business to make money.

I did not express myself well, I was inferring it's a free market same as you!

• Like 2