Money, what is it good for?  Absolutely nothing!  Well so it seems to many that come to the Philippines.  It has been said that if you want to leave then Philippines a Millionare........no problem.........come with several million and don't stay to long!  There is a lot of truth in that statement.  Broken hearts and broken budgets abound........like it or not........that's the reality of it.  Many try but most fail.............but thats what happens when the western mindset or wrong head is making the decisions.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, nor am I an economics major.........but I got street sense, common sense and basic math skills.  Most of all I do my research..........I do not rely on others to guide me unless they have been successful to my satisfaction in the Philippines!    In four years there............I can say............thats, none!   

After living there four years I earned my degree in Philippines..........with several minors to boot.  I could tell you a lot of things............but I won't.  You, as well as I, know that would only get me a rash of shit from those who think they know more then me.

Now, here is what I can tell you.  I lived there four years, I left the family with a new multi-cab, I left money there in a USD account and I came back here (USA) with 50% more money then I came there with!  Luck......no............luck had nothing to do with it.  That was my plan from day one............the operative word was and is "Plan".

Can anyone do it.........yes.......can you do it...........if you got to ask that then chances are you have not did your homework and will be like most...........leaving with a lot less then you came with and maybe a broken heart to boot.  Savor the adventure.........if it don't kill you..... it will make you stronger.

• Like 1
spydoo

It's encouraging to hear you were successful, but it sounds a little conceited that you think no-one else you met has achieved there. Perhaps they had different aims to you.

• Like 4
KennyF

>>> Money, what is it good for?  Absolutely nothing!  Well so it seems

There's a saying,...

"Money isn't everything, but it's way ahead of whatever comes second"

KinPP

Who is traveling to the Philippines to make money?
For me it is totally immoral to make money from local people her or deprive the local people their opportunity to make money on foreigners and tourists.

Paul

Will you not be back in the Philippines to live full time again?

Brucewayne

I have been in the computer repair/rebuilding game for four years or more now and when I feel like working full time, I do pretty well.

austwin

For me it is totally immoral to make money from local people her or deprive the local people their opportunity to make money on foreigners and tourists.

Ditto... I think most people heading to the p i....are not going with an interest to make money.... and if you do and you do ...GOOD for you.

But I go there to Rest & Relax ....as I am sure many do and many are there to Retire and are western dollars funded.

ozboy

I must agree with spy here....there r many foreigners that don't belong to any forums that are doing quite well thank you...been here just over 5 years and heading home soon with more money than i arrived with due to the simple fact that i did not rely on earning my keep here.....did not rely on any pension....n above all did not tie a noose around my neck by buying property here...renting is just fine...living is cheap...and in 10 years from now when i can retire who knows where i will end up...

USMC-Retired

I am leaving with more then i arrived with and that is not money since I arrived with very little.  Yet many blessings along the way.   Money here and getting the most for buck in business or other venture I still will believe is 75% knowledge and 25% luck.   It may just go for anywhere in the world.  The problem here is that 25% can really cause you pain.  

There is no reason to come here and loose your shirt.  You can build be happy and leave exactly how you came.  Yet to many have these western ideas and grandiose plans.   Then half way through reality strikes or they bore of it and leave.  It takes work to make money and make money before you leave.   

I congratulate you on your well spent venture.  It shows it can be done.  

miles-high

I fail to see anything immoral about making money, it all depends on "supply and demand"… if local people or whoever want whatever foreigners are providing, provide them with whatever and make money...

What’s wrong with that? As long as it is legal, on a fair and competitive basis…

Aren’t GM, Ford, Toyota, Nestle, Airbus, Boeing, Nokia, Hyundai, Apple, et al., all making money on the local economy?

I am probably making good money but am spending it all and more... as they say "I cannot take it with me" the end is near, my friend...

:cheers:

• Like 3
tomaw

........... If you are sucessful at creating a business that employs the locals you will be helping them to make money.
  • Like 1
smokey

Money, what is it good for?  Absolutely nothing!  Well so it seems to many that come to the Philippines.  It has been said that if you want to leave then Philippines a Millionare........no problem.........come with several million and don't stay to long!  There is a lot of truth in that statement.  Broken hearts and broken budgets abound........like it or not........that's the reality of it.  Many try but most fail.............but thats what happens when the western mindset or wrong head is making the decisions.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, nor am I an economics major.........but I got street sense, common sense and basic math skills.  Most of all I do my research..........I do not rely on others to guide me unless they have been successful to my satisfaction in the Philippines!    In four years there............I can say............thats, none!   

After living there four years I earned my degree in Philippines..........with several minors to boot.  I could tell you a lot of things............but I won't.  You, as well as I, know that would only get me a rash of shit from those who think they know more then me.

Now, here is what I can tell you.  I lived there four years, I left the family with a new multi-cab, I left money there in a USD account and I came back here (USA) with 50% more money then I came there with!  Luck......no............luck had nothing to do with it.  That was my plan from day one............the operative word was and is "Plan".

Can anyone do it.........yes.......can you do it...........if you got to ask that then chances are you have not did your homework and will be like most...........leaving with a lot less then you came with and maybe a broken heart to boot.  Savor the adventure.........if it don't kill you..... it will make you stronger.

50% more then what ?  and it matters where you earn your money , i am not educated but even i would understand if you earn 3,000 us a month and move to the philippines and spend only 1,500  of it when you leave you will have more money then when you arrived 

Edited by Headshot
removed duplicate quote

........... If you are sucessful at creating a business that employs the locals you will be helping them to make money.

Or you can help people here to start businesses and they employ local people.

I try to support local products and businesses as good as I can, I buy Filipino produced goods if possible.

The hardest thing  to avoid is Nestlé and Coca-Cola Company here, but I try.

• Like 1
smokey

Or you can help people here to start businesses and they employ local people.

I try to support local products and businesses as good as I can, I buy Filipino produced goods if possible.

The hardest thing  to avoid is Nestlé and Coca-Cola Company here, but I try.

some people consider a approach noT unlike the old       JOHNNY APPLESEED 

Edited by smokey
Brucewayne

There are several businesses here that one can be successful at and some of them involve very little work.

All one has to do is to pay attention and you will see it, as the opportunities are right in front of your eyes most of the time.

My wife lucked into a couple of home businesses just by marrying me and having her friends and relatives trying to get things and money out of us.

Her older brother even joined her in one of her ventures and he is very happy that I suggested it to him.