BI To Launch Biometrics Scheme For Travelers

BI TO LAUNCH BIOMETRICS SCHEME FOR TRAVELERS

March 07, 2013

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) said it will push through with its plan to implement a biometrics project at the airports as it will improve the country’s border security and bolster the agency’s capability to thwart the entry of foreign terrorists and other illegal aliens.

BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said the project is tentively scheduled for launching by the middle of the year even as he belied allegations that the P50-million project is a wastage of government funds.

Aside from improving border security, he the project will expedite the processing of travelers and prevent foreigners from using fraudulent documents to enter the country.

“It will also enable us to identify overstaying aliens and prevent those who are in our derogatory list to leave or enter the country,” David said.

Basically, the biometrics scheme involves the use of an ink-less device and digital camera in capturing the fingerprints and photographs of international travelers.

BI Associate Commissioner Abdullah Mangotara, who chairs the BI bidding committee, assured travelers that biometrics information collected from them will be kept in the strictest confidentiality and used only for law enforcement and official purposes.

Mangotara stressed that the project will help achieve the BI’s goal to modernize its facilities and provide its immigration officers with an effective tool to identify arriving and departing travelers and detect spurious travel documents.

He also cited the need to obtain biometrics data for persons who are presently included in the BI watchlist, hold departure list, lookout bulletin, and blacklist so they can easily be detected if they attempt to enter or leave the country.

According to Dino Visconde, BI computer section chief, Congress has appropriated this year P94 million for the project which is expected to be completed in 2018.

Vizconde said a pre-bidding conference for data capturing machines that will be procured was held last Feb. 28 and that three internationally-renowned computer firms from Germany, Korea and US took part in the bidding.

Mangotara thus described as premature a graft complaint that allegedly was filed recently against BI officials before the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with the biometrics project.

“How could there be anomalies when we have not even awarded the project yet to a competent bidder?”  Mangotara asked.###

Topper

Remember the words of Rosanne Rosanneadana?  "If it's not one thing it's another. It's always something."

Woolf

Looks like they want to implement the same system as used at immigration in USA

They take your picture with a camera that looks like a computer web cam

and finger print of both your index fingers with an electronic finger print scanner

A_Simple_Man

biometrics information collected from them will be kept in the strictest confidentiality and used only for law enforcement and official purposes.

:ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
Alan S

Taking pictures is the easy part.

Using the information, and keeping it secure, is far harder, and that is where it will all fall down.

KennyF

Taking pictures is the easy part.

Using the information, and keeping it secure, is far harder, and that is where it will all fall down.

Why will it fall down?

It's already used iin other SEA countries.

Thailand for quite a few years.

Some even check your temperature as you arrive so as to find out if you're carrying a disease.

Australia takes your photo too, but so far not finger prints.

KinPP

jessdaddy

Any idea when this might actually take effect?

Any idea when this might actually take effect?

According to Dino Visconde, BI computer section chief, Congress has appropriated this year P94 million for the project which is expected to be completed in 2018.

Alan S

By 2018, it will be W-A-Y out of date, and old technology.

mactanfamily

I guarantee you there will be a new fee for this. Of which less than half the money collected actually goes to the system.

One thing I feel is bad or possibly good about that system will be that with our photos in their computers, when crimes against Filipinos happen (Pique to mention one), they will no doubt have photo line ups. Since it appears we all look alike to many of the locals, that can either be a good thing with more photos to compare with or it could end up in a jail sentence for some innocent foreigner if the police only pick a few for crime victims to look at. 

Edited by Lee
Kreole

Why will it fall down?

It's already used iin other SEA countries.

Thailand for quite a few years.

Some even check your temperature as you arrive so as to find out if you're carrying a disease.

Australia takes your photo too, but so far not finger prints.

KinPP

It is already happening here in the RP.  When I got my Philippine driver's license, they used a cam and a digital finger print scanner to file my documents.  I even got charged for the privilege.  AND they got a sample of my urine, which is the only thing they are not proposing to do at the airport.  The important issue, as was pointed out, is just how secure the information will be kept.  My guess is that, in a country that has the dubious distinction of being one of the most corrupt, it is hard to believe there will not be illegal access or use of the information.  No doubt the US will be one of the first countries to step up and copy everything that will be willingly handed over to them from the government officials.  That may or may not be a bad thing, if you have nothing to hide, hahaha.  But, what is more concerning is that access may be used for other, more nefarious and illegal activities such as identity theft.

SkyMan

Mangotara thus described as premature a graft complaint that allegedly was filed recently against BI officials before the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with the biometrics project. “How could there be anomalies when we have not even awarded the project yet to a competent bidder?” Mangotara asked.###

Get ahead of the rush I guess.
panther

maybe the philippines are getting just as paranoid as the U.S lol